Heart And Anger

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 10-22-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 25 5783 31st. Fall Day

Heart of Anger
odb20221022.jpg

Read: Matthew 5:21–26 | Bible in a Year: Isaiah 65–66; 1 Timothy 2
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Matthew 5:22

Guernica, Pablo Picasso’s most important political painting, was a modernist portrayal of the 1937 destruction of a small Spanish town by that name. During the Spanish revolution and the ramp-up to World War II, Nazi Germany’s planes were permitted by Spain’s Nationalist forces to use the town for bombing practice.

These controversial bombings took scores of lives, drawing the attention of a global community concerned over the immorality of bombing civilian targets. Picasso’s painting captured the imaginations of the watching world and became a catalyst for debate about humanity’s capacity to destroy one another.

For those of us who feel confident that we would never intentionally shed blood, we should remember Jesus’ words, “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment” (Matthew 5:21–22). The heart can be murderous without ever actually committing murder.

When unchecked anger toward others threatens to consume us, we desperately need the Holy Spirit to fill and control our hearts so that our human tendencies can be replaced by the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:19–23). Then, love, joy, and peace can mark our relationships.

How healthy are your relationships? How can you allow the Spirit to produce fruit that enables healthier relationships?

Heavenly Father, help me when I want to strike back at those who hurt me. Please help me to respond with love.

Learn more about the place of forgiveness in your life.

INSIGHT

Matthew 5:22 cautions us against anger. But anger as a human response to people or situations isn’t necessarily wrong. The psalmist wisely warned us, “Be angry, and do not sin” (Psalm 4:4 esv). Jesus was angry at the Jewish merchants who desecrated the temple (John 2:13–16) and at the unbelief of the Jews (Mark 3:5).

The apostle Paul was angry at the idolatry he saw in Athens (Acts 17:16). But it’s sinful when we let anger control us: “ ‘Don’t sin by letting anger control you.’ Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil” (Ephesians 4:26–27 nlt).

Paul said to “get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice” (4:31). James cautioned us to be “slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires” (James 1:19–20).

By Bill Crowder |October 22nd, 2022

Anger Matthew Five:21-26

21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Love, Walter and Debbie