Heaven Just Got Funnier...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was the editing work of my cousin and we came up with this statement for the funeral and papers. I just wanted to share it with you so you could be blessed by my grandfather. When I think of a follower of Christ, I think of him. He had time for everyone and his humility exalted Him to a level shy of only Jesus himself.

Mr. Long died Friday, August 5, 2011. Born in Dayton, VA, he was the son of the late James Elmer Long and Ethel Smith Long. Mr. Long was a United States Marine Corp veteran having served in World War II during the Pacific Theatre. He retired after 42 years of service with DuPont. Mr. Long had been a member of the Camden Lions Club since 1969 and member of James Leroy Belk Post 17. He was an usher for 25 years and a charter member of the Friendship Sunday School class at Lyttleton Street United Methodist Church.

Every great story must come to an end. That of Truman Long's was more of an epic novel. “Preacher,” as he was prophetically called, was not a man of the pulpit. Instead, he was found quietly preaching a simple, quiet, and infinitely loving life. He lived his life one way, the right way...love all, hate nothing. Having come from a generation with an already high level of character, Pop was a Marine's Marine. His service in WWII was indicative of his life of service to his family and community. BBQ, light-bulbs, and brooms of unmatchable quality were just some of the items he sold for the Lion's Club.

Every moment with him was a blessed one and you would always hear a story or two, most of which started the very same way:”I might have told you this before...” Not one single person who had the pleasure of crossing paths with Pop, in any capacity, could utter a bad word about him. He was loved by his community, friends, animals and most of all, his family. To encapsulate the life of Truman Long in words is an impossible task. It had to be witnessed.

The man would make you better. He fixed items as much as he fixed the people around him. You could sit in awe watching a wise mind repair some broken down trinket or come up with his very own invention.

At this difficult time, the only solace will come in celebrating the excellent life Truman lead on this Earth, not mourning it. He wouldn't want that. He lived up to the nickname preacher not by living loudly, but by showing the way to honor anyone and everyone he came into contact with. The man of smaller stature is now among the other giants including those brothers and sisters whom have gone before him and we can assume heaven became a lot funnier and more joyful on August 5, 2011.

God is good!

Reactions: Angelina

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God bless his soul, in Jesus' name. :rolleyes:

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
This is a great post. Reminds me of my own grandpa that passed many years ago. We need more people like them around in these times.