Hello, I'm new / beaming prayers directly to God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evenwrite

Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster.

I joined primarily because I realized I was missing out on a lot of potentially enriching and interesting conversations with a wide variety of Christians. However the specific impetus of my joining was a single question/story that I'd like to discuss. I'm still getting the feel of the forum, but I figure "general" is as good a place as any for this question.

Anyway, my friend is an evangelical preacher in my town. He shares my interest in cosmology, astronomy, theology, and engineering. He built a satellite dish and radio transmitter capable of transmitting radio waves into space (it's easier than it sounds). Next, along with one of his friends from MIT who now works at NASA, they determined the approximate, best guess, direction of the center of the Universe. My friend then started collecting the audio and text of prayers and transmitting them toward the center of the Universe. His thinking was "If God exists as any sort of entity in this Universe, then he's at the site of the Big Bang."

That was all well and good, but in order to finance the maintenance of the tower (pretty low cost) and raise money for the church (struggling) he started soliciting prayers on the internet to transmit to space/the center of the Universe/ God for five dollars. I know he has nothing but good intentions, but I feel like it's wrong to charge for prayers, even if the person paying can clearly afford it and is just kind of making a donation.

Thoughts?

Reactions: makaylahope

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Hi there! Welcome here...

Ah, well you know, why charge for prayer when God has given us a free service! It's wireless too, transmitted by faith ;)

God is all powerfull and our physical efforts dont help...

That's what I would say :)

Anyways, welcome, and blessings in the Lord!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
[font="verdana]Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster.

I joined primarily because I realized I was missing out on a lot of potentially enriching and interesting conversations with a wide variety of Christians. However the specific impetus of my joining was a single question/story that I'd like to discuss. I'm still getting the feel of the forum, but I figure "general" is as good a place as any for this question.

Anyway, my friend is an evangelical preacher in my town. He shares my interest in cosmology, astronomy, theology, and engineering. He built a satellite dish and radio transmitter capable of transmitting radio waves into space (it's easier than it sounds). Next, along with one of his friends from MIT who now works at NASA, they determined the approximate, best guess, direction of the center of the Universe. My friend then started collecting the audio and text of prayers and transmitting them toward the center of the Universe. His thinking was "If God exists as any sort of entity in this Universe, then he's at the site of the Big Bang."
[/font]
[/quote]

God is not "out there" somewhere in a "cosmic zone". While there is indeed a place called Heaven in which His throne resides, He is with us here, and now, made possible through the blood of Christ and His Holy Spirit.

[quote="Evenwrite, post: 129307"]
[font="verdana]
That was all well and good, but in order to finance the maintenance of the tower (pretty low cost) and raise money for the church (struggling) he started soliciting prayers on the internet to transmit to space/the center of the Universe/ God for five dollars. I know he has nothing but good intentions, but I feel like it's wrong to charge for prayers, even if the person paying can clearly afford it and is just kind of making a donation.

Thoughts?[/font]

I agree with your take on the situation. Sounds more like an "indulgence". He may well have "good intentions" however he is off base. Have you talked to him about your apprehensions? If so...How did he respond?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
God is not "out there" somewhere in a "cosmic zone". While there is indeed a place called Heaven in which His throne resides, He is with us here, and now, made possible through the blood of Christ and His Holy Spirit.

I like what you said there. The Lord is not physical, he is Spirit. To go to him we must go in the Spirit!

Something keeps ringing in my head (something an elder in the Lord said to me), 'when the Lord says 'Follow me', he's calling you to follow him in the Spirit, where he is'. That's why you can actually follow Jesus today! :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi - glad you joined the board.

Take it from a Catholic, your friend is engaged in the sinful practice of Simony. Trading spiritual favors for money. His project sounds interesting - maybe he can think of a better way to finance it.

blessings

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Evenwrite It has been 8 days since you made your one and only post. Did you get beamed up or something ??? Need us to pray for you or something ??? You do not have to pay us five dollars .

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Evenwrite!

Sorry I didn't see your post till now and hope you don't mind but I moved you to the "Welcome Center"... :)

Your friend sounds interesting!...I hope you will share more of his theories and your own personal walk so that we can get to know you a little better.

Welcome to the family!

purplewelcome1.gif

Bless ya!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts?

Here are my thoughts on science... I am working on this and may do another upload... Your thoughts are appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quQSe2YDeQw