Help please with baptism and the mormon church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born2die

Dec 20, 2006
Hi first post so please forgive me if it is in the wrong section.I will do a little background first so you know where I am coming from I will then get to the question if that is ok.I come from a good solid baptist background on my fathers side and my mother has been in most religions that have been around currently JW. At the moment I am churchless due to a burnout a few years ago and my dad has severe dementia so I am hoping that you can help me to answer some of my questions as I now have only God and online communities to help answer questions that are coming my way and at the moent that small voice is very quiet.Now for the long winded questionRecently my spouse has benn having the mormons (LDS) around now (I know they are seen as a cult etc and I do belive that they are not the true church) now despite my advice to the contary she has been baptised etc. now I have been sitting in on the home missionary's visits and talks and I must admit it is a smooth sales platter but they have now started on me and to say the least I should have seen this coming and I should have been taking notes from the start to help me out.Now I like the LDS church stance on family and having instant friends for now but I must say they seem a little off wack with there doctrine but I must admit it is tempting considering the fall out from my last church the resulting 5 years away from god and now the still small voice calling me back to use the tallents Ihe has given me that I have tried to destroy over the years (and failed). I know he wants me back but where (I will sak that later in another topic).Now I thought that I should start with there first prophet of the new dispensation and I did and I did not like what I have found out so far but they gave me a chapter to read which has lead me to start in a new direction as all I have heard for the past month is Baptozm Baptizm Baptizm which sent me off on a tangent and now I could really use some help. I came to this verse in the chapter that they gave me.And so it came to pass that whoso repenteth and is baptised in my name shall be filled;and if he endureth to the end, behold him will I hold guitless before my father at that day when i shall stand to judge the world3 Nephi v16No I have already been baptized in the baptist church as a mature teenager knowing what I was doing and having been taught the meaning of what i was doing unlike the followers in Acts 19 v 1-7. Now I was taught that you should only be baptised once as a sign of repentance but the LDS would want me to be baptized again. Now I know that they say this is because John the baptist gave the levitical and Aaeronic priesthood to joseph Smith But Did john ever recieve the Aaeronic pristhood whilst on earth. I cant seem to find any scriptual evidence to support on denounce this so any help would be appreciated if he did'nt recieve the priesthood then he could'nt have passed it on so thereby the Mormon theology on rebaptism falls down and short in the eyes of God.Also would I be correct in my thinking the as I can find no evidence in the bible that jesus was never ordained in the levitical pristhood that he could never have gone on to the Aaeronic preisthood or the through onto the mezewhatsisname PH and beyond again if so then the jesus they worship would be below there bishops and elders etc thereby again the LDS church falls short.I would like to thanks you all for reading this long post but I thought a little background would be usefull. And if you have got any sticky spots to attack our freindly missionarys please let me have them.God blessTristian:eek: :study:

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'll be blunt. Everything in the book of Mormon is nonsense. It was concocted by a man in the early 1800s who claims to have seen an angel. Whether or not he saw anything, we don't know. However, I suspect he may have "seen" something; the Apostle Paul gives us this:2 Corinthians 11:14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.That's another debate for another day, though.My advice is to listen to that voice in your head. Jesus the Christ is way to salvation - it has nothing to do with be baptized in the sense that you're being told. No church has the lock on salvation and no church or pastor is going to be between you and the LORD on judgment day.John 10:7-9Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.Baptism itself is nothing more than an act. It is a physical means of expression of your belief and acceptance of Jesus. It's not something that you owe any specific church or denomination.See Paul's own words in Acts 19.I'm not knocking Baptism, it's a good thing to do. However, I am knocking anyone who claims that it's required for salvation. That is simply not true. The only baptism you need cannot be done by all the water of this planet; it can only be carried out by acceptance of Jesus the Christ as your personal LORD and Savior.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
Born, I agree with SwampFox a hundred percent.We don't know all the details but I wouldn't even debate with them. ( that friendly missionary ) I would tell them you're not interested and walk away or leave the house when they show up.Apostle Paul says don't even wish them Godspeed if someone preachesa different Christ or you'll be sharing in their work.

Born2die

Dec 20, 2006
thanks for being blunt it is better than being too wish washy and getting the wrong message across. Even better as its 5am and our toddler still wont go to sleep.Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know that Baptism is only symbolic but as they have been banging on about this for a couple of months it seemed the logical place to start as it can be found in scripture rather than trying to find solid ground to attack joseph smith. I am aware that the mormon story book is a lot of rubbish and most is borrowed from the KJv bible with hints of other authors for good measure. (I wonder how many mormons uphold all the laws and belive in the storybook that is central to there faith). I have also found a couple of KJV errors translated across and if JS translated these with the help of seer stones and God then why transcribe the errors also some of the old english is muddled again why not correct in translation.What I am now trying to really clear in my mind is this whole john the baptist Aaeronic priesthood thing I have found acts 19 v 1-9 I think that shows that if john had the Aaeronic priesthood the these Aaeronic priests knew nothing about it? Am i correct in this thinking?.I have also come across thisMatthew 16.1-4 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven. He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times? A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departedthat seems to indicate that JS seeing a pillar of light etc is nonsense. I think I am coming to a conclusion that If Jesus or God were to appear then it takes away our freedom to choose as if you have seen then you would have to belive which again deflates the LDS arguments. Icould go on but any help with the Aeronic priesthood would be great as I know that this is going to come up and I need to be ready.Sorry if I seem blunt to much coffee has put me a a bit of a hyper at the momentmany thankstris

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Born2dieI have read the book of Mormon comforted them with questions which they can not answer I have to agree with Swampfox here it is nonsense When the dream was given the guy didn't even know what it was or if it was evil he ran to field to ask his Dad who told him it was an Angel Did you ever compare the names in book of Mormon to names of Fallen Angels or Kenites? What is the meaning of Revelation 22:18 of course they will tell you that just means the book of Revelation. However when that was written Revelation was not called a book it was a scroll there is only one Book one Word of God.Know one has ever seen these so called golden tablets of theirs.This is the age of the gentiles where Salvation is open to ALL who accept Christ not a select few no matter what name they call themselves

Born2die

Dec 20, 2006
sorry for the double post I was too long in writing.I agree that the names in the BOM are close to satanic names that the temples are filled with the occult and i belive is it in the book of the dead the there is a church named mormo. I cannot leave the house as I am too nice I really am and it is not worth the earache from the spouse I have tried going to sleep with the toddler arranging a meeting etc it seems satan is trying to hook me in as these ploys never seem to work out things get cancelled toddler wakes up we only have two room and one bedroom so going to another part of the house is out etc..All i can find is negatives to the LDS after much praying before I started my reasearch and regular praying throughout it is keeping me strong but God seems to be setting me a test and it is one I could use to sharpen up my knowlage and strengthen my belif in the one true God and that is'nt the mormon idea of God.For all there misgivings it is the mormons that have brought me back to God they have caused me to seek out his voice to listen maybe not understand all that he is saying and doing but I can AND have said say I am here use me as you see fit guide me and God is doing that but he seems to want to test me first or is that satan I could get bogged down here if I am not careful.thanks tris

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Born2die Study with us for awhile maybe you will find the strength you need ask us your questions we are a bible study not affiliated with any religion just God's word although we have members that revel in arguing the staff here is pretty well versed in the bible. Maybe God sent you here to relearn and connect with him so you can get your wife out of there. When you are called up on judgement day you will be alone.Saying I was to nice to boot Satan out of my house or its my wife's fault is not going to cut it. If your wife wants to be a Mormon you may have to let her but,in turn ask her to respect your wishes that they not come to your house.

Born2die

Dec 20, 2006
thanks again for the well informed reply. To some degree I am enjoying my reasearch and it is only strenghthening my belif in the bible and the one true god. I have learnt more in the last few days than in the last 10 years I must have gone wrong somewhere.i feel that I was right to come to this great community and I feel that it will be a long and worthwhile stay.tris

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps this may aid you in your studies, but take a look at Hebrews 5 through Hebrews 8. This idea of this Aaronic Priesthood through the LDS is just another one of their concoctions to give themselves importance.Yeshua (Jesus) became the High Priest for one and all:Hebrews 7:14-22For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God. And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest: (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:) By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.Then:Hebrews 8:1Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;That should help you a bit with your studies. Jesus is the High Priest after the order of Melchisedec forever.

Pop James

Dec 5, 2006
Amen Fox.......good advice concerning the High Priest......There are two areas of thought I would like to offer to you Born2.......perhaps you have already considered them......GRACE is an area that the mormons are weak on and usually there represenatives shy away from discussing GRACE. I can not recall the book that speaks of it at the moment but Smith considered GRACE to be something earned........But The more obvious insult to the true Word of GOD is their stance on rather or not our SAVIOR is GOD. Just thought I would mention it..........Also a piece of advice.....Make EVERY effort you can and your first priority to GET YOUR WIFE AWAY from their influence. This is a recipe for unhappiness. The mormons and the witnesses have destroyed many a family by dividing the husband and wife.............sincerely.Pop

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Pops is right born2die as in most cults they want to lessen outside influencesand they look down on Mormons being married to non mormons they will try to divide and conquer if you don't convert they will pressure her she will pressure you and on and on.It seems to me and granted I don't know the situation but my best guess here is that your wife had a spiritual void that needed filling and they are exploiting this. I think you have been sensing this for awhile and that is why you have heard God calling to you and as always when there is a void of the spirit Satan trys to step in to fill it.You need to acknowledge this to your wife that you understand her feelings of void but Mormons are not the answer that you need to find God again together She is crying out for help to feed her soul if you ignore these calls the mormons will be there to exploit that this is where you need to start attending church(not Mormon) go back to your roots get out of Satan's control and get her out then you can decide whether you agree with them or not Stop being the nice guy inviting Satan's for tea put on your spiritual armour and do what you can to save your family.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I forgot to add that remember Christ has given you power over Satan use it repent in Christs name and order Satan away from you and your family Ask you wife to join you in this

Born2die

Dec 20, 2006
sorry for the delay in answering I lost my net connection for no reason for the last few days.Well the other night they came round again to see if I had an answer for them to see if I had an answer from god over weather there church was true or not. This can apparantly be divined from reading a chapter and praying lol.Well after 2 1/2 hours of discussion I was accused of spending too much time on anti mormon sites etc even though I spent more time pouring over there D&C book of mormon and the bible (they seem to think after 20 years in churches I would know nothing) The upshot was that I had prepared a list of discussion topics on J.S and his history and on why did john not baptise J.S himself through there's and my view on baptism the holy trinity the preisthoods and some general topics. The upshot was that they could'nt answer about 1/2 the questions and the other half were pe prepped answers that I could see the answer to as I had written the question.The good thing with all of this is that after 6 years away from church in general and from my ministry I know now that god is calling me back stronger than ever. It is good to here that vioice once again and I am very happy that God gave me the strength and knowlage to tell these people to shove it.Thanks for the tip on the church attempting to split the family I had not thought of this before and now I do see that it could be somthing to worry and pray about esp as I have now made my views clear that they will never interest me and never will.Many thanks for all your help. I am trying to break the good lady away it will be easier when the new person novelty wears off and they stop giving out presents etc as they have two study groups on a sunday morning for all the homemakers:rolleyes: and my good lady cant sit through a 20 minuit talk at the best of times so I can see this being a short venture. I must say though sitting there with a nice cuppa tea then some brandy did seem to put them off a bit and the next day the poor wife was given a talk on the church's view of banned substances lol. We seemed to have picked up one of there other new recruits a poor 21 yo lad who is only there for the company bless him okay his has nowhere else to go really so he seems to spend a lot of time with us (which has led to even more discussions on the laws of chastity from the church) so at the moment I don't think I am popular. But I hope to ;ead by example that blessings and healings do not need to be handed out by someone who holds the proper priesthood and that repentance does'nt need to be worked for but that by living as close as I can to gods way reading the bible praying and re commiting my life to God that these two people wi;; see that they are in the wrong church and that there is a better way. I want to thank you all on here for all the help and support it feels good to know that I am not alone and that you are there to help.Many thankstristian

Gary Thomas

Jan 16, 2007
THE MORMON CULTDuring the nineteenth century several new religious movements arose which today have millions of followers. They are Theosophy, Spiritualism, Christian (?) Science, Russellism — now so-called "Jehovah's Witnesses" of the Watchtower Society, Seventh Day Adventism, Pentecostalism, and Mormonism — designated as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". The last four mentioned all claim to have a latter day testimony received from heaven in visions and revelations, and that rejectors thereof will be destroyed. If their testimony were of God all should be in perfect harmony, but it is the opposite. Then where and how did this testimony arise?The Bible tells us, "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, and that "The Spirit speaketh expressly that some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron (I Cor. 14:33; I Tim. 4:1, 2)."He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God", we read in John 3:34.FOUNDATIONS BEAR EXAMINATIONThe acid test of stability and truth is in the foundation. Let us see how Mormonism was founded and under what circumstances. It began in the visions of a fifteen year old boy named Joseph Smith. (Seventh Day Adventism had its real start with the visions of a seventeen year old girl, later known as Mrs. E. G. White, whose writings her followers accept as inspired of God.) The true Word of God came not by children, but: "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (II Pet. 1:21). Mormons accept the Book of Mormon, produced by Joseph Smith, to be also the word of God. Let us examine this man's background.Schaff-Herzog's Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge reveals that March 20, 1826 Joseph Smith was found guilty in a court trial as being "a disorderly person and an imposter", upon the sworn testimony of five witnesses. The main complaint was that Smith failed them in contracts to find hidden treasures, etc., by his boasted ability in looking through a certain "magic stone" which he possessed.In his book, "Heresies Exposed", W. C. Irvine states that Smith's mother told fortunes and his father sold blessings. Also, that the late president of Michigan College, E. B. Fairfield, in 1850 had talked with three men intimately acquainted with Joseph Smith, who testified that he was "notorious for his vulgar speech, his life of unspeakable lewdness, and his being a notorious liar".Issac Hale so detested this suitor of his daughter, Emma, that Smith must needs elope with her to marry her, Jan. 18, 1827.To such an one then, an "angel" called Moroni, was supposed to have come from heaven when he was but fifteen years old. According to Smith, Moroni showed him where to find a buried book of gold plates giving an account of the former inhabitants of North America and containing "the fullness of the everlasting gospel" as delivered to these inhabitants by Christ. With the plates were to be found two stones, "Urim and Thumim", as magic spectacles through which translation of the heiroglyphics on the plates were to be made. Smith further affirmed that having found the buried plates, the angel forbade digging them up to translate until four years later September 22, 1827, meanwhile appearing to Smith nine times, informing him of great judgments coming upon the earth and in what manner the Lord's kingdom was to be conducted in the last days. Smith supposedly possessed the plates two years and eight months. When translation was completed he conveniently claimed the angel called for them and carried them away (from "Introduction" to the Book of Mormon).WEIGHING THE EVIDENCEIt has been charged that Smith used a certain un-printed manuscript written by Solomon Spaulding of Conneaut, Ohio, to produce the Book of Mormon. This manuscript is now located in the library of Oberlin College and it is affirmed there that there is not enough resemblance to sustain the charge. However, Spaulding evidently wrote another manuscript in which he used biblical phraseology. Through his reading from it to his friends he came to be known by the young folks as, "And-it-came-to-pass-Spaulding". It is believed that this manuscript was found in the printing office of Patterson and Lamdin of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by Sidney Rigdon through whom it came into the possession of Joseph Smith who made it the basis of the Book of Mormon.This is corroborated by Schaff-Herzog's Encyclopedia, Vol. Ill, P. 1578 (published 1883), concerning the Book of Mormon, as follows:"The usual belief is that most of it was written by one, Solomon Spaulding, a Presbyterian clergyman. He had been accustomed to maintain that the aborigines of America were the descendants of some of the tribes of Israel; and in a time of ill health he wrote a kind of romance supporting his view. This he called the "Manuscript Found" and tried to publish. In his work was much repetition of phrases common in Scripture such as, 'and it came to pass', and also the use of the names Lehi, Nephi, Moroni, Lamanites, etc. There is substantial evidence of the above named facts. It is supposed that this manuscript fell into the hands of Joseph Smith, and that he, and perhaps Sidney Rigdon and others introduced into it and apended, in a style savoring strongly of revivalism, the large portion found in the Book of Mormon touching the Lord Jesus Christ's descent in America soon after His ascension from Judea, and His organization of another aposto-late and establishment of another church".The above quotation supports our believing that plagarism and blasphemous deception was perpetrated by this young fortune finder, Joseph Smith, as he supposedly dictated, from behind curtains, a translation of the inscriptions on gold plates to two writers by turns, Martin Harris and Oliver Cowdery.As to the Book of Mormon being a true history of the American Indian, M. C. Sterling, chief of the Smithsonian Institute at Washington, had this to say:"There is no correspondence whatever between archeological sites and cultures as revealed by scientific investigations and as recorded in the Book of Mormon.The interpretations of archeological and ethnographic data, moreover, are quite unlike the American prehistory which the Book of Mormon describes."We can certainly prove by examining the Book of Mormon itself that it is not of God. While it contains whole pages word for word copied from the Bible and scattered Bible truth differently written, it flatly denies two particular basic truths taught in God's Word, which Word Smith must perforce profess to believe in order to deceive the hearts of the simple (see Romans 16:17, 18).1. The Book of Mormon denies the completeness of the Bible and that addition thereto is condemned in no uncertain terms.Significantly, all claiming to receive revelations subsequent to that of the apostle John in about A.D. 90, have brought forth false doctrine in contradiction to and denial of Bible truth. Also, they make much ado about many mistranslations in the Bible. Actually, there are few mistranslations and these can be located and corrected by the Bible itself, simply by comparing Scripture with Scripture.As for this dispensation of the Church which is Christ's body, when God is "taking out of the Gentiles a people for His name" (Acts 15:14), we are completely instructed as to faith and worship by the one "apostle to the Gentiles", the apostle Paul, "a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity", or truth (Rom. 11:13; 15:16; I Tim. 2:7). He wrote by inspiration that it was given him to fill full, or "fulfill the Word of God" for the Church (Col. 1:24, 25). His statement in II Tim. 3:16, 17 covers the entire Bible:"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."When faced with adding to God's Word and the curse concerning this as found in Rev. 22: 18, 19, Mormons blithely point to Deut. 4:2, saying, It is written way back there: "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you", and Look, they say, how much was added since that time. This is stupidly crooked, for Moses, speaking to Israel, referred only to "statutes and judgments" given to Israel (v. 5). They are forbidden to add to them; but they added "traditions of men" (Matt. 15: 1-5).Proverbs 30:6 covers the entire Bible in the words, "Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee and thou be found a liar".Surely then, whatever is claimed as additional revelation will give evidence as being not of God, making void His Word, the Bible. So it is with the spurious Book of Mormon wherein we find the following ridicule and false assertion, denying the Bible's completion:"Thou fool, that shall say, A Bible, we have got a Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save as it were by the Jews? Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible, ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written (II Nephi 29:6, 10). Verse four shows the speaker to be "the Lord God"! What a blasphemous falsehood!Mormon teaching cunningly makes the above "Nephi" reference correspond to Ezekiel 37:16-19 where writings on "two sticks" are spoken of. These sticks were merely an object lesson for Israel that divided Israel would in the millenium become "one nation in the land . . . neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all" (v. 20-28). Believe it or not, the Mormons hold that one of these sticks represents the Bible and the other foretold the appearance of the Book of Mormon!2. The Book of Mormon denies the true way of salvation.It falsely teaches salvation by works, that for remission of sins and receiving the Holy Spirit one must first be water-baptized. We quote:"By following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongues of angels . . . with new tongues . . . unless a man shall endure to the end . . . he cannot be saved. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism in water . . . then are ye in this straight and narrow path which leads to eternal life" (IINephi 3:13-18)."The fulfilling of the commandments bringeth remission of sins". (Moroni 8:25).FOOLISH DISCREPANCIES DISCLOSE FRAUDAccording to Smith's Book of Mormon, some de-scendents of Joseph, the son of Jacob, left Jerusalem 600 B.C. to settle in America. They recorded their activities on gold plates—in what language? Hebrew, their native language? No! In "Reformed Egyptian"! Ridiculous!No man ever becomes an angel, but Moroni, "the last of the prophets" became one! He buried the gold plates and 400 years later appeared to Joseph Smith near the same spot as an angel!Again, during 600 years these migrated Jews became "a great nation" in America, but about 400 years after Christ had brought them "the everlasting gospel" and "established His church", these Jews were nearly annihilated in battles, becoming a mere remnant which Mormons hold are the American Indians. Strange that the gospel had no power and strange that Indian legend and tradition holds no trace whatever of migration from Jerusalem and Christ's visit, or the gospel!BAPTISM FOR THE DEADThe Mormon practice of the living getting water baptized for the dead to save them came not from the Book of Mormon. They use I Cor. 15:29 to partly support it but it actually originated with their fallacious claim that in 1836 the prophecy of Malachi 4:5, 6 was fulfilled in that Elijah appeared to Joseph Smith and "conferred authority to baptize for the dead", thus "turning the hearts of the children to the fathers"—the dead fathers (History of the Church Vol. VI, P. 183, 184; "The Plan of Salvation", by Elder John Morgan, P. 20, 21).To prove this "vision" to be also a farce or "giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons" we need but quote God's truth found in Psalm 49:8-10 and I Tim. 2:5—"None can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransome for him that he should still live forever and not see corruption. For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth forever", i.e., the belief that humans can do anything to save humans."There is one mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus."OTHER FALSE DOCTRINES INMORMON LITERATUREQuote: "Some preachers say that faith is all that is necessary to salvation. This is incorrect. Salvation is obtainable upon four conditions: faith, repentance, water baptism, and laying on of hands to receive the Holy Spirit of God. Then, according to their faithfulness and diligence in keeping the commands of God, the various manifestations of the Spirit are poured out upon men, such as the gift of speaking in foreign tongues, of interpretation of tongues, prophecy, dreams, visions, the gift of healing and working of miracles, discernment of spirits, etc. Baptism is a part of the law of God . . . the remission of individual sins shall be available to no man till he has been baptized. No man is entitled to a pardon for his sins until he obeys that ordinance" ("Scrapbook of Mormon Literature", by Ben. E. Rich, pp. 42, 43, 46. Found also in "Doctrines and Covenants", by Joseph Smith)."Christ's atonement was not sufficient for personal sins, from which men can be redeemed only by obedience to Mormon ceremonies" (Compendium)."All are damned who do not avail themselves of these ceremonies" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. I, p. 339)."Redemption from personal sins can only be obtained through obedience to the requirements of the gospel and a life of good works" (Principles of the Gospel, p. 19).Concerning God, Brigham Young taught: "Adam is our God, the only God with whom we have to do. When our Father came into the garden of Eden He came with a celestial body and brought Eve, one of His wives with Him. Jesus Christ was the son of Adam-God and Mary. Jesus was not begotten of the Holy Spirit" (Journal of Discourses Vol. I, p. 50)."The Holy Spirit is the most refined and subtle of substances, like electricity, etc." (Key, p. 39).God's Word plainly teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person and is received immediately upon believing in Christ as one's Savior (John 7:39; 16:13; Gal. 3:3; Eph. 1:13, 14; 4:30). Also, that speaking in tongues was only a sign for unbelieving Israel during the Acts period, ceasing thereafter when Israel was set aside (Isa. 28:11, 12; I Cor. 14:22; 13:8; Rom. 11:19-21).Throughout God's entire Word we find salvation comes only by grace (unearned favor) through faith in Christ, without works—Eph. 2:8-10; Rom. 11:6; 4:1-5; Gal. 2:16, 21; John 1:12; 3:16, 36, 5:24; I Cor. 15:1-5.Hear Paul's warning: "But though we or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed"!Water baptism being a works of the flesh, has no place in salvation. The thief on the cross was saved without it, for Christ said to him, "Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with me in paradise". So reads the Greek text of Luke 23:43. "Paradise" in the Bible designates always a place of beauty and bliss, never hades, as many teach. See Ezekiel 28:13; 31:8, 9; II Cor. 12:4.PRE-EXISTENCE OF HUMAN SPIRITS TAUGHTMormons believe in the pre-existence of human spirits in heaven where they were born of many Gods, each having his own wife, or wives. "As soon as each God has begotten many millions of male and female spirits and His heavenly inheritance becomes too small to accommodate comfortably His great family, He in connection with His sons organizes a new world after a similar order to the one which we now inhabit, where He sends both male and female spirits to inhabit tabernacles of flesh and bones" (Apostle Orson Pratt).How utterly foreign this is to the Bible! Our God tells us that man originated, spirit, soul and body in God's forming man "of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul". "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living" (Gen. 2:7; 3:20). "The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second Man is the Lord from heaven" (I Cor. 15:47).The Lord Jesus said, "/ am from above; ye are of this world" (John 8:23).ORIGIN OF THE MORMON "CHURCH"Christ said of His Church, "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Mormon teaching is that "All had gone out of the way", so God chose Joseph Smith to "reorganize" and "establish His church and prepare the way for the Redeemer's second coming" (Rays of Light, C. W. Penrose, p. 4).Schraff-Herzog's Encyclopedia gives an account of how the Mormon church was organized:"On 15, 1829, by command of an angelic messenger calling himself John the Baptist, Smith baptized Cow-dery, and then Cowdery baptized Smith. And, in process of time, it is claimed, Smith received the Melchise-dec priesthood at the hands of the apostles Peter, James and John. Some of the prophet's family and some of a family named Whitmer, in Fayette, N. Y., became converts; and on April 6, 1830, in Whitmer's house, the Mormon church began its history. That day it was organized with a membership of six."We defer nauseating readers with more elaboration on Mormon wierd beliefs and ways, such as their "Presidents" being 'the mouthpiece of God on earth", continuously eligible to "revelations"; the "Aaronic" and "Melchisedec" autocratic priesthood originally conferred by "angelic visitors"; "the twelve" and "the seventy" officials; the secret oaths and mysteries, with degrees of "exaltation" for the initiated; the superstitious marriage rites with absurd "endowments"; and last of all their credulous belief that when the Mormon temple at Salt Lake City is finished (invisibly) then Christ will return to set up His kingdom!SMITH'S LUSTFUL ENDIn the Book of Mormon polygamy is forbidden. In earlier "revelations" of Joseph Smith it was distinctly reprobated; but it was sanctioned in a "revelation" Smith claimed to have received at Nauvoo, 111., July 12, 1843. His death in jail by bullets from a mob can be directly attributed to this false "revelation" permitting polygamy, which suited the lusts of Smith and his cronies. We rightly say false revelation because nowhere in the Bible is it stated that God "justified" any man in having plurality of wives and concubines! We quote from "History of the Mormon Church", Vol. V. pp. 501,504, 506 as follows:"Verily thus saith the Lord unto my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I the Lord justified my servants Abraham, Issac and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines; behold, I am the Lord thy God and will answer thee as touching this matter .... God commanded Abraham, and Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham wife. And why did she do it? Because this was the law . . . Abraham received concubines and they bare him children and it was accounted unto him for righteousness, because they were given unto him and he abode in the law ... If a man marry ten virgins he cannot commit adultery" (italics ours).Imagine twisting God's truth about Abraham, who was justified by believing God, "and it (his faith) was counted unto him for righteousness" (Rom 4:1-3)! God gave no such "command" to Abraham to take Hagar to wife. Sarah suggested it.That God ever "justified" polygamy is an unmitigated lie. Solomon was denounced for having many wives "which turned away his heart". The Lord Jesus, as recorded in Matt. 5-8, taught that "in the beginning it was not so", that a man should have another wife; but that God had said a man "shall cleave to his wife", not wives, and that the two, not more, "shall be one flesh". Likewise the apostle Paul always spoke of the married state of man as being "a husband of one wife" (I Tim 3:2; Tit. 1:6).Up to the time of his death we see Smith was still an immoral charlatan and deceiver!From "Desert Saints", by Nels Anderson, p. 38, we learn that in the Mormon town of Nauvoo some insurgent Mormons wanted to expose Smith and his aides, so they bought a printing press and got out the first and only copy of the "Nauvoo Expositor". In it they charged these men with polygamy; that "whoredoms and all manner of abominations are practiced under the cloak of religion. Lo, the wolf is in the fold, arrayed in sheep's clothing". Smith was pictured among other things as an egotist, a dictator, a cheat and a perjurer. Smith asserted his dictatorship and destroyed the press and its copies. For destroying property Smith was arrested and jailed in Carthage, where he and his brother, Hyrum were shot by a mob."He that is of God heareth God's Words" and will not be deceived by Satan's servants, made cunning in mimicking and deceitfully handling God's Word to gain religious power over souls as well as lustful gain (see John 8:47; Eph. 4:15; II Cor. 4:2). Please read also the entire chapter of II Cor. 11. Our Lord says to all who believe on Him, "If ye continue in my Word then are ye my disciples indeed, and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free"! (John 8:31, 32).The solemn warning of II Thes. 2:10-12 applies to all time, that to all who "love not the truth" (refuse to love the truth) will be sent "strong delusion that they should believe a lie"!Reader, we pray you, Beware! Don't give place to wrath when strong delusions are exposed as such; but give place to Him who said, "Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest" (Matt. 11:28).—E. S.

servant_of_the_end

Jul 15, 2006
Even though the Mormons are a cult and find false hope in lies we must consider that all cults have powers and authorities in the spiritual realm. They are 'chaired', if you will, by powers that are mostly misunderstood by the spirtually untrained. The reason people are prosylitized by these various cults- Islam, Buddism, Mormonism, Jehovahs Witnesses, to name a few- is they are influenced by the doctrines of demons, and these powers can mimic the natural and carnal sensations that one feels when we are moved by the Holy Ghost. Once they are moved by the spirit of the anti-christ, they are convinced they have found truth, not realizing they are moved by fallen powers, and one is hard pressed to prove the truth if their ears are shut to it, being deceived.This is, in part, the essence of the spirit of the anti-christ. He, being the Dragon, is not so ignorant as to cause hatred for the true righteousness of God, except among the very reprobate few, but does, in fact, attempt to mimic the Holy Ghost, and the transcedent and mystical side of what we experience when we are filled with and enter into the Almighty's presence. The Tyrant will not appear as one, but will become to all who worship him a psuedo-Christ. This is part of the strong delusion and apostasy