Hermeneutics 101 - How to Study God's Word - Lesson 1 & 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Study of God's word so that we know truth.

1. Understand from the start that the Old Testament was written to the Jews and it is for our understanding of God.
A. Look up definitions of words. In the case above it is the words to and for.
to -(used for expressing direction or motion or direction toward something) in the direction of;
toward: from north to south.
for - in order to obtain, gain, or acquire:

B. Prove this by finding scripture that the statement (1) above, or any below, is either true or false.

2. Understand from the start that the New Testament Gospel's were written about the life here on earth of Jesus Christ and how he explained and taught his chosen people, the Jews.

3. Understand from the start that the Epistles were written to the early Chirstians/Church and not to us. It was written for us.

4. Understand from the start that the Book of Revelation of Jesus Christ was written to the seven churches of Asia during the time it was written. It was written for us to understand that Jesus is God. It is also to explain the time, in symbolic language, that which was to come shortly in their lifetime, not ours.

5. To prove what anyone says, including the above, find scripture that is very clear about the subject. Do not use symbolic language unless that can be proven with at least two other scriptures that are very clear.

One can not state the importance of confirming the above statements that they might understand the Bible in it's entirety.

Example of #2 above: Gospels was to the Jews.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

The times that Jesus spoke to the Gentiles, was to heal or explain how the Jews thought:
Healing
Luk 7:2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
Luk 7:8 For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
Luk 7:9 When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
Luk 7:10 And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick.

Mar 7:26 The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.
Mar 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
Mar 7:28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.
Mar 7:29 And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter.

If one does not have an electronic bible, they should download one. The one I use is free and can be downloaded at:
http://www.e-sword.net/

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Using hermeneutics to understand the bible, think spiritual.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Every once in awhile one comes across a scripture that just jumps out and asks, what does this mean? The following is one of them.
1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Using hermeneutics we must let scripture intrepret scripture. To find those scriptures let's search the bible, new testament in this case, for the words that we seek for understanding.

When we search the word 'water' we find these scriptures that pertain to our question.
Joh 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
Joh 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
There are many more that one could and should read, but we can see that believing on Jesus as the scriptures has said is living water and is indeed eternal life.

Now we shall search the word 'spirit' and since the first search concluded that drinking of the water gives eternal life, we will add the word 'life to our search and the scriptures will contain both.

Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
These scriptures are very plain, the words of Jesus are spirit and they are life. His words are primarily in the new testament.
Read the other scriptures that came up in the search (for those that have electronic bible).

The final search is for the word 'blood'

1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Heb 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

So in conclusion we have, by reading the scriptures, a clearer understanding as to what 1Jn 5:8 refers to.
Water, spirit and blood, all three were and still are required for us to have eternal life. This is why they agree as one.

We have just touched the surface on this, go ahead and dig deeper.

Read your bible, but also question the scriptures for understanding.