Hillsong (Hellsong) Megachurch Exposed (TLC Series)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Broadcast by TLC, The Learning Channel.

This is a series expose. Many episodes.

So I'm watching the first episode just now. And a woman who was with Hillsong is talking about their music and how they composed music to manipulate the minds of their faithful.

Because many of their songs reached people emotionally she spoke about how people would listen and feel the spirit moving them. But, she asked, was that feeling and your tears as you listened to their music really God moving in the listener? Or was it the chord progression that was written so to make you cry?

I've never heard of such a thing. Chord progression can be manipulated so to make people emotional on purpose?
I know I've listened to a few Hillsong songs years before the scandal hit, and felt weepy.
I had no idea till now that music can be written to cause that very thing in the listener.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Broadcast by TLC, The Learning Channel.

This is a series expose. Many episodes.

So I'm watching the first episode just now. And a woman who was with Hillsong is talking about their music and how they composed music to manipulate the minds of their faithful.

Because many of their songs reached people emotionally she spoke about how people would listen and feel the spirit moving them. But, she asked, was that feeling and your tears as you listened to their music really God moving in the listener? Or was it the chord progression that was written so to make you cry?

I've never heard of such a thing. Chord progression can be manipulated so to make people emotional on purpose?
I know I've listened to a few Hillsong songs years before the scandal hit, and felt weepy.
I had no idea till now that music can be written to cause that very thing in the listener.

Music that doesn't move one person moves another. I know that music can be emotionally evocative, but I think that's because it touches something inside us.

I cry when I listen to the 1812 Overture. I didn't used to, but then I learned what Tchaikovsky was expressing in that piece, and now I sometimes even tear up when it starts. I guess I feel a range of emotion when I listed to that piece, from dread to jubilation. Just thinking about the church bells at the end, I'm covered in goosebumps!

Of course we are all different. I have a small collection of Hillsong music that I love, and that builds me up.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Music that doesn't move one person moves another. I know that music can be emotionally evocative, but I think that's because it touches something inside us.

I cry when I listen to the 1812 Overture. I didn't used to, but then I learned what Tchaikovsky was expressing in that piece, and now I sometimes even tear up when it starts. I guess I feel a range of emotion when I listed to that piece, from dread to jubilation. Just thinking about the church bells at the end, I'm covered in goosebumps!

Of course we are all different. I have a small collection of Hillsong music that I love, and that builds me up.

Much love!
Just remember the warning GOD gave unto the jews . YE CAN SING LIKE KING DAVID
yet they loved their sins . Some songs might have all the right words and they might praise like King David did .
BUT IT DONT MEAN THE SINGER FOLLOWS GOD at all . YE shall know them by THEY FRUITS .
Many have i examined in the hillsong group . And they had one thing in common
they could sing some good songs , but they loved and supported sins . AINT LOOKING GOOD MARK .
ANYONE can sing praise to GOD , but the question is WHAT GOD are they truly praising .
IS IT THE GOD that honors their sins , OR IS IT THE GOD , HIS CHRIST of the bible . exactly mark . TAKE HEED
for many can produce a song or two that has all the right words
and yet they live IN DARKNESS . and many make the mistake of thinking , ONLY a man or woman of GOD
could produce such a good song , and many make the mistake of thinking GOD must be FINE WITH THEM and their love of sins .
BIG MISTAKE . always remember that . Plus there is something behind this repeat chant music
that even pyschologists know to be true . IT OPENS the mind up . And soon after the songs
the false teachers come in with every slowly false doctrine . and the people sup on it and are wired up with emotions
and are not testing the words at all .

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just remember the warning GOD gave unto the jews . YE CAN SING LIKE KING DAVID
yet they loved their sins . Some songs might have all the right words and they might praise like King David did .
BUT IT DONT MEAN THE SINGER FOLLOWS GOD at all . YE shall know them by THEY FRUITS .
Many have i examined in the hillsong group . And they had one thing in common
they could sing some good songs , but they loved and supported sins . AINT LOOKING GOOD MARK .
ANYONE can sing praise to GOD , but the question is WHAT GOD are they truly praising .
IS IT THE GOD that honors their sins , OR IS IT THE GOD , HIS CHRIST of the bible . exactly mark . TAKE HEED
for many can produce a song or two that has all the right words
and yet they live IN DARKNESS . and many make the mistake of thinking , ONLY a man or woman of GOD
could produce such a good song , and many make the mistake of thinking GOD must be FINE WITH THEM and their love of sins .
BIG MISTAKE . always remember that . Plus there is something behind this repeat chant music
that even pyschologists know to be true . IT OPENS the mind up . And soon after the songs
the false teachers come in with every slowly false doctrine . and the people sup on it and are wired up with emotions
and are not testing the words at all .
save-image.png

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard there was a secret chord, that David played and it pleased the lord….

So whenever the spirit from God would come upon Saul, David would take his lyre and play it. This would bring relief to Saul and make him feel better.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The long time CEO of Hillsong resigned. They're still operating, which is amazing given the levels of corruption and myriad abuses.

Like one former member said, they're not a church. They're a business.

A man involved in investigating corruption in churches like Hillsong looked into their activities. They have over 44 LLC's registered across America.
When a church is an LLC that's a red flag.

I wonder if Bethel is next?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In any church, whether it is a big or a small church, and people begin to love the Leader of that Church more than they love God, then that leader is going to fall from God's Grace.

King David was beloved by the Israeli nation, such that David lost sight of God's hand on his life and he tipped over the line of acting God Like in what he did. In doing so he had turned away from God and His Statues and was in Sin. Sadly, King David lived in that Sin for around seven or eight years before God sent the Prophet Nathan to King David to confront David of his sin of turning away from God. Because Israel love King David more than they loved God, they too had turned away from God. Satan was involved in King David's sinning. He is called the "traveller" in the story that Nathan told King David. The Lamb that King David had killed to feed the traveller was the nation of Israel.

King David had the insight to be able to see his sin of turning away from God and accepted God's punishment without complaining. When God started to come against Israel, King David stood in the Gap for the nation of Israel, and offered up "sin" sacrifices to redeem Israel from the wrath that God was pouring out on the Nation of Israel.

Church Leaders when they turn away from their ministry and God and begin to act God like in the things that they do, need God sent "prophets" to challenge them of their sin of turning away from God and beginning to act God Like.

Twenty or so years ago I listened to Brian Houston preaching at a conference at a Church now called Triple C. It too suffered from its leadership falling from God's Grace.

All Chruch leaders, whether of small, medium or large churches need people to pray for them that God will continue to draw them into His Loving Embrace and that He will restore them when they fall so that they can know the Grace that God gives when we all fall away from God.

Yes, all people fail God's expectations, but God's Grace is sufficient for us all when we fail if we are willing to fall on His Grace for us.

We all need to see our short comings in God's sight.

Shalom

Reactions: shortangel

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's important also to differentiate between the Hillsong church, whatever or wherever that is, and the Hillsong music enterprise. One of course, is a church while the other is indeed an enterprise. My wife and I went to a Hillsong concert and it was truly fantastic. They are quite incredible musicians/entertainers/vocalists and the concert was very uplifting. There was no pastor or preacher or message apart from the music-- which does present a message of its own. Sometimes it's guilt by association.

I remember when I was but a kid going to an Amy Grant concert--- many years later, hearing some Christians denounce her for divorcing. As if that made her music suddenly- not good. Or Sandi Patti..... or the Dixie Chicks for that matter.

It's a little silly, but I get it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many churches that operate as business and I'm sure it displeases God. And there is a fine line that shouldn't be crossed. But you can tell a false church because it doesn't take care of its members and have mutual and even flow of funds to the members.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many churches that operate as business and I'm sure it displeases God. And there is a fine line that shouldn't be crossed. But you can tell a false church because it doesn't take care of its members and have mutual and even flow of funds to the members.
The problem is too many are seeking theirs and not them . They have no idea what pual meant
by for we seek not yours but you . And the parents ought to lay UP for the children .
They turned it into a business .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is hogwash!

Your mind cannot be manipulated unless you allow it to!

God designed music to allow our emotions to become involved in Worship as well as our wills! So that is just the shows people condemning all music.

I listen to many songs (and yes I have heard and liked some hillsong songs for their lyrics are not heretical). but music thatr just moves the emotions without the Word of God being displayed is not very beneficial other than to have a good emotional experience.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's important also to differentiate between the Hillsong church, whatever or wherever that is, and the Hillsong music enterprise. One of course, is a church while the other is indeed an enterprise. My wife and I went to a Hillsong concert and it was truly fantastic. They are quite incredible musicians/entertainers/vocalists and the concert was very uplifting. There was no pastor or preacher or message apart from the music-- which does present a message of its own. Sometimes it's guilt by association.

I remember when I was but a kid going to an Amy Grant concert--- many years later, hearing some Christians denounce her for divorcing. As if that made her music suddenly- not good. Or Sandi Patti..... or the Dixie Chicks for that matter.

It's a little silly, but I get it.
They are all interrelated. Hillsong church musicians and vocalists create their albums and concert performances.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is hogwash!

Your mind cannot be manipulated unless you allow it to!

God designed music to allow our emotions to become involved in Worship as well as our wills! So that is just the shows people condemning all music.

I listen to many songs (and yes I have heard and liked some hillsong songs for their lyrics are not heretical). but music thatr just moves the emotions without the Word of God being displayed is not very beneficial other than to have a good emotional experience.
I don't think we can ignore the subconscious and the affect music can have.
The subconscious records everything in our life. Even when we sleep, the sounds in our home, everything. Without prejudice.

Music has an impact too.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess this is a good discussion. I think most discussions about music is a waste of time. People are sinful, and that sin finds it's way into our artists. Pastor Bob Beemen who is known for his work with Christian Metal and Rock Music, said that even your normal Gospel singers often have sin problems. He said He has had many different Christian Artists in his office. They got lots of problems. Therefor in his opinion, Christian music is made by messed up people for messed up people. He points to David in the Bible and says He was probably the best musician and poet in the Bible and yet He had sin problems too.
The Christian metal group, As I Lay Dying, admitted they were actually atheists.
Not the only time this has happened.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Maybe God's Love is reflected in that we pray for the Hillsong Church Congregation, and for their new leadership.
One of the greatest things to learn about God, is that He is always ready to give a 2nd Chance, to begin again.
We all need a 2nd Chance from time to time...

WE all need to go to the Throne of Grace for some updating, from time to time.
.......and God is faithful to complete us.

Philippians 1:6

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have several albums from As I Lay Dying. And I read stuff about them. Sounded like they started out as Christians but eventually got messed up. The Last I knew Tim is a Christian again. But since He tried to have his wife killed, He will probably never be fully forgiven by the Christian and Music communities.

He was ultimately sentenced to six years and has reunited with his band.

God calls us to himself. Only God knows who are his own. He also knows who are not.
We'll all find out at the judgement what God knew all along.