Honor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me we all would like to have honor. I might suggest we can earn honor by obeying the Lord's commandments. There are only a few commandments.

People unwilling to obey the commandments might look for another way, or simply demand we honor them. Is there an easy way to achieve honor? (I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me we all would like to have honor. I might suggest we can earn honor by obeying the Lord's commandments. There are only a few commandments.

People unwilling to obey the commandments might look for another way, or simply demand we honor them. Is there an easy way to achieve honor? (I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)
Hi Bob,
You are speaking of the Commandments that Jesus told us, yes? Like, "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, mind, strength and soul and love your neighbor as yourself"? As, the rest of the Ten Commandments written in stone will naturally be fulfilled if we do those two things.
I would say there is many things we could do to honor God...in our. actions, our words, our attitudes (oops :oops: ) and so on. As far as us wanting the glory for something done in HIS Name, that is not at all a good thing as, He will glorify us as He sees fit. He would say "there is your reward"...have you ever met a Christian who has no problem bragging they give this to the Church, or that, or "I do..." fill in the blank. He lifts the humble and brings down the proud...I'd rather humble myself, lol

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Bob,
You are speaking of the Commandments that Jesus told us, yes? Like, "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, mind, strength and soul and love your neighbor as yourself"? As, the rest of the Ten Commandments written in stone will naturally be fulfilled if we do those two things.
I would say there is many things we could do to honor God...in our. actions, our words, our attitudes (oops :oops: ) and so on. As far as us wanting the glory for something done in HIS Name, that is not at all a good thing as, He will glorify us as He sees fit. He would say "there is your reward"...have you ever met a Christian who has no problem bragging they give this to the Church, or that, or "I do..." fill in the blank. He lifts the humble and brings down the proud...I'd rather humble myself, lol
When I think of "commandments," I think of the Ten Commandments and the two great ones (to love the Lord with all you heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself - Matthew 24:34-40). Other statements made by the Lord help define these.

I think human beings have needs. One need might be: We need respect. So how do we go about meeting that need?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think human beings have needs. One need might be: We need respect. So how do we go about meeting that need?
When a Christian knows his standing in Christ, that need is met. Christ did not look for the approval of men, and we need to follow His example. He was despised and rejected by men, but He was glorious in the sight of His Father.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I think of "commandments," I think of the Ten Commandments and the two great ones (to love the Lord with all you heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself - Matthew 24:34-40). Other statements made by the Lord help define these.

You hit on a topic important to these forums. Respect one another as yourself.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:10 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think Jesus said it best.

he who is last will be first.

Honor is humility and serving others. It seeks not to serve self. But to serve others. It is not self righteous, it is humble, It is not proud, it is poor in spirit.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a Christian knows his standing in Christ, that need is met. Christ did not look for the approval of men, and we need to follow His example. He was despised and rejected by men, but He was glorious in the sight of His Father.
How would you define "standing in Christ"? Does it require adherence to a code of conduct?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Okay, but you do not obey these Ten Commandments in order to be saved, correct? Jesus chiseled these 10 down to TWO:

37 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

So, it is through His grace that we do not follow the O.T. Law as they did before.

As far as "respect" from humans...

John 7:18
“He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.”

Matthew 23:12
"And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

Matthew 6:2

“Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.”

I would much rather humble myself than have God do it! :eek:

"And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10?? 2?? Man, i dont know which Bible yall read, but its more than 10.

from john piper; “Do you know how many imperatives there are in Paul’s thirteen letters? 431. Do you know how many imperatives there are in the General Epistles? 128. Do you know how many imperatives there are in the Gospels? 1,022. So there you are. You want a list to be anxious about? How about 1,500 imperatives for your list? So you have to make things worse sometimes in order to see wisdom.

To be specific: if you are trying to give focused, special attention to each of the individual commands of the New Testament, which would be about 1,800, you can’t do it — not because you’re lazy or worldly or sinful, but because you’re finite; your brain is finite. Nobody can remember, let alone focus all day long, on 1,800 duties. You can’t keep that many things in your head, let alone give attention and prayerful effort to each one.“

I wish there were only 10 commandments to follow.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

from john piper; “Do you know how many imperatives there are in Paul’s thirteen letters? 431. Do you know how many imperatives there are in the General Epistles? 128. Do you know how many imperatives there are in the Gospels? 1,022. So there you are. You want a list to be anxious about? How about 1,500 imperatives for your list? So you have to make things worse sometimes in order to see wisdom.

To be specific: if you are trying to give focused, special attention to each of the individual commands of the New Testament, which would be about 1,800, you can’t do it — not because you’re lazy or worldly or sinful, but because you’re finite; your brain is finite. Nobody can remember, let alone focus all day long, on 1,800 duties. You can’t keep that many things in your head, let alone give attention and prayerful effort to each one.“

I'd bet every one of those fall under one of the 10 commandments.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but you do not obey these Ten Commandments in order to be saved, correct? Jesus chiseled these 10 down to TWO:

37 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

So, it is through His grace that we do not follow the O.T. Law as they did before.

As far as "respect" from humans...

John 7:18

“He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.”

Matthew 6:2

“Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.”

I would much rather humble myself than have God do it! :eek:

We were saved by Jesus dying on the cross. However, he expects us to learn from our mistakes, and if we don't, he will allow us to suffer for the sins we commit.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God gave us statutes, ordinances, decrees, testimonies, and commandments. Not everything he said was a commandment.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave us statutes, ordinances, decrees, testimonies, and commandments. Not everything he said was a commandment.

so its ok to ignore speed limit signs? A law is a law. Those who are saved are not under the law, yet that doesnt mean its anarchy either. The laws and commandments exist for our own good. They’re not just God trying to make our lives worse or more difficult.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd bet every one of those fall under one of the 10 commandments.
hmmm i dont see how. Paul talked a lot about obeying govt because it exists as a result of God putting that govt in power. Romans 13 i believe. Submission to God also means submission to govt, our pastors, elders, parents, job bosses, etc.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What happens if you break one of the commandments?
Sack cloth and ashes to atone, and if you break one...you broke all of them?
Not sure where you are really going here Bob.

We honor God by obeying His Son.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful