Hope

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope by definition when the bible was translated into English according to the OED is:

1. a. Expectation of something desired; desire combined with expectation.

c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 193 Habbeð rihte bileue to brunie and hope to helme. a1225 Ancr. R. 78 Ine silence & ine hope schal beon ower strencðe. 1382 Wyclif Rom. iv. 18 The which Abraham aŠens hope bileuede in to hope. 1435 Misyn Fire of Love ii. v. 78 Hoype my sawle chastisis. 1504 W. Atkynson tr. De Imitatione iv. vii. 269 Humble hoope. c1560 A. Scott Poems (S.T.S.) xv. 3 Art thow not wantoun, haill, and in gud howp. 1579 Tomson Calvin's Serm. Tim. 225/2 When the Churche was in bondage, and vtterly out of hope. 1597 Montgomerie Cherrie & Slae 464 Luik quhair to licht before thou loup, And slip na certenty for Houp. 1690 Locke Hum. Und. ii. xxi. §9 (R.) Hope is that pleasure in the mind, which every one finds in himself upon the thought of a profitable future enjoyment of a thing, which is apt to delight him. 1732 Pope Ess. Man i. 95 Hope springs eternal in the human breast. 1781 Cowper Hope 167 Hope, as an anchor firm and sure, holds fast The Christian vessel, and defies the blast. 1838 Thirlwall Greece xliii. V. 293 While the public mind was thus suspended between hope and fear. 1850 Tennyson In Mem. lv, I+call To what I feel is Lord of all, And faintly trust the larger hope. 1868 Bain Ment. & Mor. Sc. iii. xii. §5 This is the emotion of Hope, which is ideality coupled with belief.

(the examples of use are dated accordingly)

Now granted, expectation of something isn’t necessarily desired like death and taxes, but hope applies desire to the expectation.

But today the use of the world hope is to desire not expect. One hopes all the lights will be green so as to get to work on time. That has nothing to do with expectation. so that use of hope is contrary to biblical use. the world can't change the text, but over time can change the use of the words.

Hope is expectation; therefore, God’s Hope is an expectation that He desires. Such as what Jesus fulfilled in the Son of man. Was an expectation, God desired. actually the fulfillment of His Word is the expectation desired. Not a, hope someone steps up to the plate and gets it done.

So, what is God’s expectation of human nature? And what is man’s expectation of human nature?

And in one’s relationship with the Lord, who’s expectations take precedence?