House Churches - Don't You Sometimes Wish We could Go Back To the Days Of Acts?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Angelina said:
Hey JB!
You may be right. I do not think that the Govt would like to see such a move as it would be difficult to monitor or control through exemptions etc. I think that house Churches will eventually become underground Churches one day :unsure:

Be Blessed!
Indeed sister! :eek: SHALOM

Rocky Wiley said:
The Peter Principle states that within an organization, people will rise to their level of incompetence and no further. This is true of any organization that promotes people from within the ranks, whether a corporation, military, government or other institution. It can be used to explain why governments and large corporations become so dysfunctional over time.

What you say is true, and it comes about because the 80% that it speaks of in the above principle has taken control of most churches. It is the 80% that does not study to word of God and just use what they have been taught. Many of these pastors declare that they love God and that is the only requirement to being saved. Even if that is true, no one can really love someone unless they know them. The way to know God is to know his Word!

Interesting! You point to the 'traditions of men' who hero worship or in other words idolize man and make the word of GOD to non effect.

As you said "NO ONE CAN REALLY LOVE SOMEONE UNLESS THEY KNOW THEM" and to know GOD is through his WORD via the HOLY GHOST who illuminates the mind of GOD for us.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
There is already a network of "underground" churches in America. There is no way to count but like homeschooling, only estimate. I have heard estimates of 20 to 30 million Christians meet in house churches in America.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Axehead said:
There is already a network of "underground" churches in America. There is no way to count but like homeschooling, only estimate. I have heard estimates of 20 to 30 million Christians meet in house churches in America.
That's very encouraging Axehead, That's a lot of opened eyes and minds. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was reading the book of Acts the other day. Imagine living in those days where you were doing powerful exploits for God and being hunted down by the Religious leaders of the day... :) I'm convinced that they will occur again, in our lifetime...

Be Blessed!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
There are 300-400 who attend our Sunday services and during the week many of them meet in smaller "house church" groups and often that is where the .... "real good christian stuff" .... happens

Sort of like Acts in a modern setting

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Has anyone else noticed that as the "big downtown churches" ... kinda fall apart ...... the smaller grassroots groups are getting stronger ?

It is like we are moving toward Christianity like in acts.

maybe it is in preparation .... in case we need to go underground some day.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We also break bread from house to house. We live a community type lifestyle where discipleship is at the fore. We ascribe to a no-name no creed stance that keeps our identity in Christ without the trappings of an organized group. We encourage a life in the Spirit and a fraternal commitment one to another.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it so important to be nostalgic about house churches? I think this maybe a case of 'the grass is always greener.....' It makes me wonder if the early church members dreamed about the days when they did not have to meet in secret and could gather together in the Jewish synagogues,

Times change and I think it is best to embrace today rather than try to recreate the past.

Just my opinion.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
aspen2 said:
Why is it so important to be nostalgic about house churches? I think this maybe a case of 'the grass is always greener.....' It makes me wonder if the early church members dreamed about the days when they did not have to meet in secret and could gather together in the Jewish synagogues,

Times change and I think it is best to embrace today rather than try to recreate the past.

Just my opinion.
One point to consider is the early church was an open platform meaning people were allowed to interact and or question or reenforce the things taught and shared.
The modern church is different, it assumes the position that the church representative is the sole source of Spiritual knowledge, no interaction no questions and If you disagree you are welcome to leave. Very different structures. Many times I see and listen to people that have just sat through the same service and come away with very different ideals and opinions, this is not conducive to like mindedness, 1 Cor 2:16 For the most part the leader is completely unaware of the mixed review. Any speaker in the name of Christ should be concerned with the fact that everyone that hears what is said understands completely what the presentation presents.
Not true in the modern churches.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
One point to consider is the early church was an open platform meaning people were allowed to interact and or question or reenforce the things taught and shared.
The modern church is different, it assumes the position that the church representative is the sole source of Spiritual knowledge, no interaction no questions and If you disagree you are welcome to leave. Very different structures. Many times I see and listen to people that have just sat through the same service and come away with very different ideals and opinions, this is not conducive to like mindedness, 1 Cor 2:16 For the most part the leader is completely unaware of the mixed review. Any speaker in the name of Christ should be concerned with the fact that everyone that hears what is said understands completely what the presentation presents.
So you are concerned that people are forced to conform their believes to the church AND you do not like it that I am not in complete agreement with my church?

afishamongmany

Jun 18, 2013
mid west France
Angelina said:
I was reading the book of Acts the other day. Imagine living in those days where you were doing powerful exploits for God and being hunted down by the Religious leaders of the day... :) I'm convinced that they will occur again, in our lifetime...

Be Blessed!
It has never stopped, Angeline. All over the world right now christians are being hunted down, imprisoned, tortured and killed. They are meeting in locked rooms and out of the way places. Of course in North America, Western Europe and the Antipodes it is nowhere near as blatent and in our face as in other parts of the world. Maybe that's because the "authorities" in these zones find the christians and the Christianity easy enough to placate and manipulated without all that nasty stuff??
><>

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So true afish!
I had never thought of it that way. Christians are being hunted down in other countries. I am sure then that the level of God's holy power is also rising up to meet the challenges that our brethren face, in miraculous ways :)

Isaiah 59
The name of the Lord from the west,
And His glory from the rising of the sun;

When the enemy comes in like a flood,
The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.

Shalom!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Rex said:
Actually, it's not that different at all. The Early Christians met in homes simply because the Church back then was very small like a mustard seed. However, as St. Paul and the rest of the Apostles continue to evangelize, the Church grew and grew and grew. They became so large that they could not all meet in a single house. So, they decided to build huge buildings to accommodate their size. God's Church was intended to grow in size......not decrease. Today, the Church should be a huge tree, not a mustard seed.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
..or thousands of little mustard seeds creating other mustard seeds for his Kingdom and his glory. The Church is a body of believers...it does not matter how big it is as long as God is in the house! :)

Shalom!!!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
..or thousands of little mustard seeds creating other mustard seeds for his Kingdom and his glory. The Church is a body of believers...it does not matter how big it is as long as God is in the house! :)

Shalom!!!
Christ's Church was meant to grow and not remain a mustard seed. If it remains a mustard seed today....then it would be a dead mustard seed.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think that the "mustard seed" analogy actually relates to faith rather than the growth of a Church but that's cool! ;) Coming from a salvation orientated Church, our focus was more on Kingdom growth rather than Church growth as we saw ourselves more of an outreach and we had no worries about exchanging resources with our fellow Church brethren when needed....or recommending other Churches to believers if we didn't have the resources or services available :) We were a very friendly caring body of Christ!

Shalom!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
I think that the "mustard seed" analogy actually relates to faith rather than the growth of a Church but that's cool! ;) Coming from a salvation orientated Church, our focus was more on Kingdom growth rather than Church growth as we saw ourselves more of an outreach and we had no worries about exchanging resources with our fellow Church brethren when needed....or recommending other Churches to believers if we didn't have the resources or services available :) We were a very friendly caring body of Christ!

Shalom!
The "mustard seed" analogy actually relates to both faith and growth of a Church. We grow in faith, and the Church grows because Christ sent His Apostles to baptize all nations and God desires to save all (1 Timothy 2:4).