How can we tell if you are walking in Christ or the flesh?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
If you see any of these traits in you, then know that it is not of God's Spirit and you have stepped outside of Christ and you need to get back IN LINE with the Word of truth.

Gal 5:16-21
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
KJV

So IF you see any of these manifested in your ways, then know that they are holding you captive to walk in your fleshly lusts which oppose the Spirit of truth which is of love towards all men and God. For as you can see these traits cause harm to self and others and should be overcome by one who claims to be a child of God led of His Spirit unto holiness. Be ye holy for he is holy!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The standard of God is holiness since that is what is there when you are in Christ.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Episkopos said:
The standard of God is holiness since that is what is there when you are in Christ.
Yes to follow The Word for he is the measure so when we walk in the Son we will be being conformed into his image/traits/attributes of the Word of God and this is a process in which our trials and tribulations lead us to a perfect man. Christ made us righteous, but holiness is a process as we abide and grow in the womb of our mother to learn how to not only to be hearers of the Word, but doers of the Word. When we walk in a worthy manner according to God's ways then we do not come under the bondage of laws for we know better and do not need to be told right from wrong, so let us remain walking in the freedom by always doing what it right.

Rom 2:13
13(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
KJV
James 1:22-27
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
KJV
Rom 13:8-10
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
KJV

We could not save our own self because it is only by God's Spirit that we can receive the Word of God and the Spirit of God could not be given until the sin debt was paid... Praise God for giving His Son in our place so that He could cancel the debt, canceled all the added laws for transgressing the original 10 in the Stone(Christ) that are immovable and forgive us our past sins to make us all equal when we come to Christ and give us His indwelling Spirit that guides us into all truth of the Word so that we grow up daily in our new birth to be led more and more by the Spirit and less and less by our old man who must die off.

Trumpeter

Mar 6, 2013
Alberta, Canada
afaithfulone4u said:
If you see any of these traits in you, then know that it is not of God's Spirit and you have stepped outside of Christ and you need to get back IN LINE with the Word of truth.

Gal 5:16-21
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
KJV

So IF you see any of these manifested in your ways, then know that they are holding you captive to walk in your fleshly lusts which oppose the Spirit of truth which is of love towards all men and God. For as you can see these traits cause harm to self and others and should be overcome by one who claims to be a child of God led of His Spirit unto holiness. Be ye holy for he is holy!
Amen Faithfulone!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, however the deeper issue driving the 'lust of the flesh' is selfish love not morality. Repentance is required - turning the focus of our love outwards towards God and others is what is necessary for walking with Christ. Love of self over others is truly burying your talents and retreating into a spiritual fetal position.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Well To my knowledge this is something you can in fact distinguish.

Those who are living in the flesh act like the rest of the world.

FLESH: lust and sex without marriage, Idolizing sports and people and things, materialistic, Hating on others, spends most of their time doing whatever they want, worrying about minor things that are not even good, slandering and doing worldly things....listening to bad music and tv, Living YOLO style etc etc...

Spirit: Loving others, being kindhearted, sensitive and obedient to the lead of The Holy spirit, gentle, putting your desires within eternity, patient for eternity, Wanting to do good, avoiding sin in our lives, thinking spiritually, hoping for our lives in Christ, Wanting to Know God. Seeking to hear Him in our lives, being generous with our money etc in the spiritual life

Its obvious

But someone can appear to be a Christian but like scripture says You know a tree by its fruit

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
aspen2 said:
I agree, however the deeper issue driving the 'lust of the flesh' is selfish love not morality. Repentance is required - turning the focus of our love outwards towards God and others is what is necessary for walking with Christ. Love of self over others is truly burying your talents and retreating into a spiritual fetal position.
Ah but the love of God is not the same as the love of man. God's Word is His love.. you can hand a man a sandwich to feed his belly and he will still be there the next day for another sandwich because he is still needy. BUT if you feed him the Word of God which is the Bread of life who is Christ, then you teach him how to raise up and to look up to the Father who is our provider instead of the hand of man or even his own self being his own god. For God raises up the poor in spirit who call upon His name, so that they can learn to walk as a man Upright on two feet in God's image being reborn Alive so that He is able to bless him, instead of down on all fours in his dog eat dog beastly nature that keeps him living under the curse due to being dead in his sins.

The greatest thing you can do for another human being is to bring them out of the darkness and into the Light of the Word. Sometimes we must do unto others the very thing that they do not like... but it is out of love for we understand from God's Word what is good and what is evil for their own good.

Inmate said:
Well To my knowledge this is something you can in fact distinguish.

Those who are living in the flesh act like the rest of the world.

FLESH: lust and sex without marriage, Idolizing sports and people and things, materialistic, Hating on others, spends most of their time doing whatever they want, worrying about minor things that are not even good, slandering and doing worldly things....listening to bad music and tv, Living YOLO style etc etc...

Spirit: Loving others, being kindhearted, sensitive and obedient to the lead of The Holy spirit, gentle, putting your desires within eternity, patient for eternity, Wanting to do good, avoiding sin in our lives, thinking spiritually, hoping for our lives in Christ, Wanting to Know God. Seeking to hear Him in our lives, being generous with our money etc in the spiritual life

Its obvious

But someone can appear to be a Christian but like scripture says You know a tree by its fruit
All true Inmate... but even we in our selves must recognize a fleshly act or reaction when we sin and repent immediately and seek God to guide us and change the desires of our heart to please Him. I ask God to create in me a good heart all the time for I still have much growing to do and I want to walk in the newness of life lining up perfectly with the Word so that you can not tell that I am OUT OF LINE if you know what I mean~

Trumpeter said:
Amen Faithfulone!
Greetings my brother Trumpeter!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i disagree. there is no difference in the essence love of humanity and the love of God. the difference is found in the direction, strength, and completeness. Sort of like spray from a fire hose applied to a burning building vs attempting to take a shower under a dripping faucet.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
aspen2 said:
i disagree. there is no difference in the essence love of humanity and the love of God. the difference is found in the direction, strength, and completeness. Sort of like spray from a fire hose applied to a burning building vs attempting to take a shower under a dripping faucet.
What about "without Me you can do nothing" as in no water at all?

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
aspen2 said:
On the contrary! Man's love is self centered with hidden secret motives trying to look good in the eyes of man but then they go home and cheat on their taxes or any number of evil things that would not uphold the command of love if found out , while God's love is pure without motive or self gain but for the other's well being no matter how it makes us look in the eyes of man as long as God's eyes see it as righteous for the better of others, for God knows the hearts of men and all their secret motives.
John 15:12-13
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
KJV
To lay aside ones life(own agenda) in every situation for the others good even when they persecute you, reject you, get angry at you because you know the Word you bring to them is for their best interest is the greatest love you can show someone you claim to love. Material needs do nothing for the integrity or good character of a man, they are good for comforts and we need them, yet the richest people in the world are usually the poorest inwardly. God is interested in our inward riches being gained first, THEN He can trust us with outwardly riches.

A good example of this is when Abraham separated himself from Lot due to arguments among their groups, because when you live with strife, you invite more ungodly acts into your life. Jonah for example was thrown out of the ship because his disobedience was causing the curse to come upon all the innocent in the boat.
But my point is about how Abraham told Lot to take his pick of which land he wanted showing selflessness on Abraham's part. Lot being led of his flesh chose what SEEMED like the best land because it was what he could physically see as the best.

But because of Abraham's faithfulness to be unselfish, generous and caring more for the other than himself, opened himself up for God to BLESS him with greater land for God can change the desert into the promised land . That is a key to receiving the blessing of Abraham.... Don't worry what it looks like in the natural, be faithful to Christ/The Word of God and you shall have the victory in blessings which is God's best for your obedience.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
afaithfulone4u said:
On the contrary! Man's love is self centered with hidden secret motives trying to look good in the eyes of man but then they go home and cheat on their taxes or any number of evil things that would not uphold the command of love if found out , while God's love is pure without motive or self gain but for the other's well being no matter how it makes us look in the eyes of man as long as God's eyes see it as righteous for the better of others, for God knows the hearts of men and all their secret motives.
John 15:12-13
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
KJV
To lay aside ones life(own agenda) in every situation for the others good even when they persecute you, reject you, get angry at you because you know the Word you bring to them is for their best interest is the greatest love you can show someone you claim to love. Material needs do nothing for the integrity or good character of a man, they are good for comforts and we need them, yet the richest people in the world are usually the poorest inwardly. God is interested in our inward riches being gained first, THEN He can trust us with outwardly riches.

A good example of this is when Abraham separated himself from Lot due to arguments among their groups, because when you live with strife, you invite more ungodly acts into your life. Jonah for example was thrown out of the ship because his disobedience was causing the curse to come upon all the innocent in the boat.
But my point is about how Abraham told Lot to take his pick of which land he wanted showing selflessness on Abraham's part. Lot being led of his flesh chose what SEEMED like the best land because it was what he could physically see as the best.

But because of Abraham's faithfulness to be unselfish, generous and caring more for the other than himself, opened himself up for God to BLESS him with greater land for God can change the desert into the promised land . That is a key to receiving the blessing of Abraham.... Don't worry what it looks like in the natural, be faithful to Christ/The Word of God and you shall have the victory in blessings which is God's best for your obedience.
You are agreeing with me.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Read the book of Job and put yourself in Job's circumstances.

If you do so honestly, you'll discover just how 'spiritual' you are.

But the greatest test of all is the cross.

Nobody but nobody even preaches the cross anymore, but in the beginning it was the trend.
The blood is for God, enabling our forgiveness and second birth in Christ, but the cross is for us.

How well do we bear our cross? To do so with humility and obedience and trust in Christ is to truly walk the spiritual life.

Anything less is to deny Christ, for Jesus Himself said that if a man is unwilling to take up his cross he cannot follow the Lord.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Levi

May 30, 2013
A question came to mind as I was reading this thread, do people who are walking in Christ even know it? If you knew it, would you still be walking in Christ?

We can see how other people behave out in public, but it can be deceiving, as afaithfulone4u has pointed out, we don't see what goes on behind closed doors, so maybe it's God who is the only One who knows.

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
A couple of days ago, I was thinking about which New Testament church is thought of as the most Spirit filled church. I think many would think of the church at Corinth, because of all the spiritual manifestations they had. But I would not vote that way. The Corinthian church did not have the unity of the Spirit (Ephesians 4:3), nor the love of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), and they were very un-Christ-like (immoral and carnal minded - 1 Corinthians 3:1, 5:1, 6:6).

The Spirit-led churches were like those in Macedonia (Philippi) and Thessalonia, for it was evident in their fruit.

Fruit is a very good way to tell if you are walking in the flesh or the Spirit of Christ.

http://dtjsoft.com/victory-over-sin/

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Another good way to know if you are walking in the Spirit is that the Holy Spirit will always point toward and glorify Jesus, whereas our soul/flesh desires to glorify and point toward self. :)

Shalom!