How could the illiterate apostle John write the Gospel of John?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Douay-Rheims Bible, Acts 4:

13 Now seeing the constancy of Peter and of John, understanding that they were illiterate and ignorant men, they wondered; and they knew them that they had been with Jesus.
unschooled,
ἀγράμματοί (agrammatoi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 62: Unlettered, i.e. Illiterate.

The Greek word G62 is ambiguous and can be translated differently, New International Version:

13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.
Zondervan:

Irenaeus, writing at about AD 200, says that the Beloved Disciple was John, the disciple of Jesus, and that John originated the Gospel at Ephesus. ...
Polycrates, Bishop of Ephesus (AD 189–198), refers to John’s association with the Gospel in his letter to Victor the Bishop of Rome. ...
Recent study of Palestinian Judaism has shown a remarkable degree of Greek cultural penetration at all levels of society. While the New Testament does affirm that John the apostle was a “commoner” (Acts 4:13), we still are unwise to predict what John could or could not accomplish. Furthermore, this criticism fails to consider that the final edition of the Gospel may have been edited by John’s disciples, an amanuensis (professional scribe), or John’s community.
An amanuensis is a literary or artistic assistant, in particular, one who takes dictation or copies manuscripts.

Tertius of Iconium acted as an amanuensis for Paul the Apostle, Romans 16:

22 I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

unschooled,
ἀγράμματοί (agrammatoi)

The Greek word G62 is ambiguous and can be translated differently, New International Version:

Zondervan:

An amanuensis is a literary or artistic assistant, in particular, one who takes dictation or copies manuscripts.

Weren't you illiterate at one stage Tony? How did you get to be literate if it wasn't by learning? Why should it be different for John?

Reactions: ChristisGod

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If John had help from an unknown assistant who was fluent in Greek and translated John's memories of Jesus into an unforgettable Greek prose, would that make John's gospel (and the letter of 1 John; the style is similar) any less inspired?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

unschooled,
ἀγράμματοί (agrammatoi)

Zondervan:

Well keeping the passage in its context as to what teh Pharisees were inquiring about, it is easy to know that it was in religioous learning and not general learning.

They went to synagogue school and they knew how to speak and write. But they were ignorant in religious matters having never studied under an accepted rabbi.

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If John had help from an unknown assistant who was fluent in Greek and translated John's memories of Jesus into an unforgettable Greek prose, would that make John's gospel (and the letter of 1 John; the style is similar) any less inspired?
Most of Pauls epistles were written by somebody Paul spoke them to. He had a serious eye problem.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of Pauls epistles were written by somebody Paul spoke them to. He had a serious eye problem.
I had forgotten that! Also might've been been because a lot of his letters were written from jail.

22 I, Tertius, who have written this letter, greet you in the Lord. (Romans 16:22)

Tertius must've been his father's 3rd son, right? Ran out of names.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

unschooled,
ἀγράμματοί (agrammatoi)

Zondervan:

He doesn't seem illiterate to me.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

unschooled,
ἀγράμματοί (agrammatoi)

Zondervan:

My Bible (RSV) says this (Acts 4:13):

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they wondered; and they recognized that they had been with Jesus.