How Do We Put On The Armor Of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
Hi all.I've been convicted/led by the Holy Spirit - or maybe I'm just nuts - to find out about the Armor Of God as referenced in Ephesians 6 and a couple of other places.I just read a comment on another topic from Christina about how many of us aren't ready. I feel that is VERY true.Again, it's been laid on my heart to tell others we need to be putting on the Armor of God these days like never before. I get some of it, but the feet shod with the Gospel, and the helmet of salvation confuse me. Having Truth (integrity/character ?) and Righteousness I get. However, how in the WORLD can I be righteous????????On the latter, I've read, reread, and reread the New Testament letters lately, which I think may be telling us partially how to be righteous, but after prayer and more prayer, I was led to go to Proverbs for further teaching on how to be righteous.There are MANY here FAR more knowledgeable and Anointed than I -How do we put on, and KEEP ON, the Armor of God if we really need it these days (and probably always) ????BTW - last year Reverend Fred Price gave a series of sermons on the subject too.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
It's a constant battle to keep from backsliding. If you don't keep praying, reading the bible and going to church on a regular basis pretty soon you find yourself not praying anymore, not reading the bible and not going to church. Then your sin condemns you into thinking you are not good enough to be around the righteous people of God. I think that's what this Armor of God is referring to. Keeping you a practicing Christian and speaking up when you need to and acting when you need to, knowing you have the Armor of God protecting you. I could be way off base here but that's what I understand so far.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, firstly, answer the basic question. What is armor for?For war.Well, who are we warring with?QUOTE
Ephesians 6:12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
So how do we put on this armor that is for a war not fought with the physical?One of things I always remind myself is this isn't talking about the large and heavy armor of the medieval age, this is about the earlier armor from the proper time period. It was much more mobile, yet still effective.QUOTE
Ephesians 6:14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Loins are a point of power. Think about a warrior, when you take out his loins (upper legs) you take out a very powerful part of the body in more ways than one. Without hopefully getting too off topic here, your progeny metaphorically springs from your loins, does it not? Raise up your child and he/she will not go astray! (Proverbs 22:6) Paul mentions elsewhere that we deal with the fiery darts of Satan. Remember that he is the proverbial accuser?QUOTE
Revelation 12:10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
If, then, following that train of though, the darts are his accusation and where are projects generally aimed? At the heart, at the trunk of the body where the greatest chance of hitting is done. If you put on that breastplate, you do away with as much unrighteousness as you are able, and suddenly old Lucifer doesn't have so many accusations. This is the strongest point of any armor because its where the most damage can be done; it's the easiest place to hit.QUOTE
Ephesians 6:15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Gospel is the Anglo-Saxon Good Spel[/b] literally being translated as the Good Word from Greek. So how do you put words on your feet? Well, what do feet and words have in common? They are how you move, if you will. Your feet move you, your words move your conversation. Armor for the feet/lower legs would need to be mobile and a little lighter. Wounds can still be made, but you equip yourself from a battle perspective to be able to move. I would say think of it like knowing when to make peace, when to interject that seed of truth. Knowing to move from one statement to another, if that makes sense.QUOTE
Ephesians 6:16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Shield goes in front, and going back to the breastplate of righteousness, a shield doesn't even allow the darts(arrows) to make it to the breastplate, as it can be moved to protect other vulnerable areas. Faith protects us from a variety of harm whether it be faith to get through a tough event or faith to help someone else in their hour of need. Like the shield, faith always responds where needed.QUOTE
Ephesians 6:17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Your head contains your brain, this is where you knowledge exists. You have the knowledge of salvation through our Lord Jesus the Christ. That knowledge protects you because it covers your brain no matter what you do, or what happens to you.Similarly, the sword is my favorite. Who is the Sword of our Father?The prophecy of Ezekiel and Isaiah repeatedly refer to this in the OT:QUOTE
Isaiah 34:5For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.
And in the New Testament, we know who this sword is:QUOTE
Revelation 1:13-16And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
The sword is our Lord! But we too have our own sword, derived from the very same!QUOTE
Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
So that's the armor of God, but it all goes back to one very important thing. All of these are made with various components of knowing our Father. Each of the pieces of armor is made from God through his word. The way to forge this armor is with the Bible and the faith and study it takes to acquire the knowledge.

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
Thank you VERY MUCH Forlife and Denver.Re: 6:15, "Feet shod with the Gospel", my Sister said she believed that meant we should know and be prepared to share the Gospel as we go about.Again, thanks y'all. ANY other guidance from others here would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.Like I told my Sister, it's weird to not even fully understand the Armor, and/but feel led to tell other Christians that we REALLY need to do what it takes to "put it on" and "keep it on daily".Bless you all, and I hope everyone is having a blessed Easter-Resurrection celebration/remembrance weekend!!!In Christ,Jim

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE (shutin45 @ Apr 10 2009, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72286
However, how in the WORLD can I be righteous????????
Thanks for this thread, Shutin.I pass these comments on because they have been helpful to me.Philippians 3:9 "And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith:"QUOTE
From the Believer's Bible Commentary:3:9 And be found in Him. Here again it sounds as if Paul was still trying to be found in Christ. The fact is that he is looking back to the tremendous decision which faced him before he was saved. Was he willing to abandon his own efforts to earn salvation, and simply trust in Christ? He had made his choice. He had abandoned all else in order to be found in Christ. The moment he believed on the Lord Jesus, he stood in a new position before God. No longer was he seen as a child of sinful Adam, but now he was seen in Christ, enjoying all the favor which the Lord Jesus enjoys before God the Father. Likewise he had renounced the filthy rags of his own self-righteousness, which he had sought to win by keeping the law, and had chosen the righteousness of God which is bestowed on everyone who receives the Savior. Righteousness is here spoken of as a garment or covering. Man needs righteousness in order to stand before God in favor. But man cannot produce it. And so, in grace, God gives His own righteousness to those who receive His Son as Lord and Savior. “He (God) made Him (Christ) who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Cor. 5:21). Again we would like to emphasize that verses 8 and 9 do not suggest that Paul had not yet received the righteousness of God. On the contrary, this became his possession when he was regenerated on the road to Damascus. But the present tense simply indicates that the results of that important event continued up to the present and that Paul still considered Christ to be worth far more than anything he had given up. MacDonald, W., & Farstad, A. 1997, c1995. Believer's Bible Commentary : Old and New Testaments . Thomas Nelson: Nashville

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
QUOTE (Stumpmaster @ Apr 11 2009, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72402
Thanks for this thread, Shutin.I pass these comments on because they have been helpful to me.Philippians 3:9 "And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith:"
Thanks Stumpmaster
smile.gif
I appreciate those Verses and the Believers Bible commentary you took the time to research, cut and paste etc.That made me feel better about Righteousness, but I'm still gonna read Proverbs and add what we're advised/told to do there to what I've learned from the NT so I can be as knowledgable (and then DO) as possible in order to please our Savior, and so I can better do His will.Thanks again EVERYONE
smile.gif
!!In Christ,Jim

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
Well folks I went back to a closed topic thread and noticed this was discussed/elaborated on in detail there. When I first read it, I didn't scroll past the main topic entry
sad.gif
For anyone wanting to know the details about "putting on the Armor of God" - what each "piece" means and what we're supposed to do/know to do so, following is a link to the closed topic:http://www.christianityboard.com/index.php...99&hl=ArmorIn Christ,Jim