How Do You Deliver The Message?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Starise.

It's different strokes for different folks.

‘We played the flute for you, yet you did not dance;
we wailed in mourning, yet you did not weep.’
Thank you Mr E:

Different strokes yes, I hate to get an assignment and feel I flunked it because I didn't have the "stuff" to prove something. Yet sometimes maybe something happened I have no knowledge of. Sure it could be wishful thinking on my part. The Lord lines things up that we meet these people sometimes and I may not feel qualified to be the person talking with them, yet these conversations go on and on until they no longer do. I only have me and what the Lord can do through me fully empied of me, yet I still feel as if it just isn't happening.

Could it be that the Lord uses various means in order to take the attention off of ourselves and give Him all the glory? Yet I hear people say they won so many souls to the Lord. And how does a person feel when a person does come to the Lord directly of their own intervention?
Who does the one who was won thank?
Do we think, wow the Lord finally used me for something or do we feel honored to have been used in such a way. All the glory goes to him.

I believe the true ones used to lead others to the Lord don't even think about where the focus is, they are simply more than glad a sinner came to Christ. In no case does a person ever come to the Lord without strong spiritual intervention and in no case will our efforts alone ever do it.

It's a case-by-case thing for me, Starise. I try not to be overly wordy or long-winded, but I do whatever I think is called for in any one particular case. But always, at least intention-wise, in the fruit (singular) of the Spirit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23) and according to the Law of Christ, which is fulfilled by bearing one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2).

Like you, I think for me it is more that last category (the Word internalized), which, I think as we spend more and more time in the Word ~ with Jesus ~ becomes more and more the case... God, by His Spirit, makes us more and more like Jesus. God makes us what He wants us to be, so it is formative in that respect. And... to God be the glory for that. :)

Grace and peace to you!

Glad to see someone similar to myself @PinSeeker . I have poured myself out in prayer and asked to be used only to feel completely ineffective. I do my best under those circumstances. I know it falls short and sometimes it's like fishing on a day when the fish just aren't biting. I find myself asking what's going on? Then I overthink it, like do I have unconfessed sin? Are my motives all wrong? I'm just supposed to fish, I guess?, with no feedback of any kind for as long as I am called to do so. Sometimes I get a bite, but it seems someone else always catches the fish. Thrilling isn't it?

Depending on how you see all of this, we could instead be helping to drive the nails into the coffins of the unrepentant unbelievers. I would much rather see a win, even if it isn't something I enjoyed taking direct part in after much labor. Surely not as rewarding giving the fisherman the bait, but worth it if even one comes to Christ.

A common Christian catch phrase, " sowing the seed". It seems 99% of us are seed sowers. From a skeptical viewpoint how do we know anything even came of any of it? From a believer's standpoint if we are used, it had some value to the one who sent us. We may never see it. In this time of scoffers and unbelief it feels as if we're going against the current and the boat is getting nowhere. If the ROI on this expenditure is an indicator we may be miserably disappointed.

The hardest part of this is getting personally invested in an unbeliever thinking I might have some impact because I really care for them, only to be disguarded like an old sock after much prayer, good intention and effort in Him. Where is the bounty?

Reactions: Mr E

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Mr E:

Different strokes yes, I hate to get an assignment and feel I flunked it because I didn't have the "stuff" to prove something. Yet sometimes maybe something happened I have no knowledge of. Sure it could be wishful thinking on my part. The Lord lines things up that we meet these people sometimes and I may not feel qualified to be the person talking with them, yet these conversations go on and on until they no longer do. I only have me and what the Lord can do through me fully empied of me, yet I still feel as if it just isn't happening.

Could it be that the Lord uses various means in order to take the attention off of ourselves and give Him all the glory? Yet I hear people say they won so many souls to the Lord. And how does a person feel when a person does come to the Lord directly of their own intervention?
Who does the one who was won thank?
Do we think, wow the Lord finally used me for something or do we feel honored to have been used in such a way. All the glory goes to him.

I believe the true ones used to lead others to the Lord don't even think about where the focus is, they are simply more than glad a sinner came to Christ. In no case does a person ever come to the Lord without strong spiritual intervention and in no case will our efforts alone ever do it.

Glad to see someone similar to myself @PinSeeker . I have poured myself out in prayer and asked to be used only to feel completely ineffective. I do my best under those circumstances. I know it falls short and sometimes it's like fishing on a day when the fish just aren't biting. I find myself asking what's going on? Then I overthink it, like do I have unconfessed sin? Are my motives all wrong? I'm just supposed to fish, I guess?, with no feedback of any kind for as long as I am called to do so. Sometimes I get a bite, but it seems someone else always catches the fish. Thrilling isn't it?

Depending on how you see all of this, we could instead be helping to drive the nails into the coffins of the unrepentant unbelievers. I would much rather see a win, even if it isn't something I enjoyed taking direct part in after much labor. Surely not as rewarding giving the fisherman the bait, but worth it if even one comes to Christ.

A common Christian catch phrase, " sowing the seed". It seems 99% of us are seed sowers. From a skeptical viewpoint how do we know anything even came of any of it? From a believer's standpoint if we are used, it had some value to the one who sent us. We may never see it. In this time of scoffers and unbelief it feels as if we're going against the current and the boat is getting nowhere. If the ROI on this expenditure is an indicator we may be miserably disappointed.

The hardest part of this is getting personally invested in an unbeliever thinking I might have some impact because I really care for them, only to be disguarded like an old sock after much prayer, good intention and effort in Him. Where is the bounty?
You know, Starise, I realize that only in the lower part of your quote here are you speaking directly to me, but I think what I'm about to say applies also to your exchange with Mr. E. I don't mean to imply that you don't have this, but merely to make a point:

What is needed is a healthy understanding of God's absolute sovereignty over all His creation and His ability ~ not ours ~ to convert people to Christ and thereby build His kingdom. He may or may not use what we say to others to do this... according to His will, not ours... So, rather than being discouraging in any way, this should actually be very freeing. We realize that it doesn't depend on you or me or any person to say "just the right thing" to persuade others, and also that through what we say ~ no matter how strong or weak our own presentation or persuasion ~ God will make it effectual to the salvation ~ or allows it to be ineffectual and even repelling ~ of the hearer if He so chooses.

I truly understand that it can be discouraging not to "see the bounty," as you say; I would think this is true for all of us. But we can be sure that the full bounty will be ~ absolutely will be ~ realized, and in the time appointed... by our great God.

Grace and peace to you!

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is needed is a healthy understanding of God's absolute sovereignty over all His creation and His ability ~ not ours ~ to convert people to Christ and thereby build His kingdom. He may or may not use what we say to others to do this... according to His will, not ours... So, rather than being discouraging in any way, this should actually be very freeing. We realize that it doesn't depend on you or me or any person to say "just the right thing" to persuade others, and also that through what we say ~ no matter how strong or weak our own presentation or persuasion ~ God will make it effectual to the salvation ~ or allows it to be ineffectual and even repelling ~ of the hearer if He so chooses.

I try to see it in this way, and I know for the most part it is true. I do believe we are to hone our knowledge of the bible which affects our presentation. That "be able to give an answer"part is important.

Pharoah was hardened for a reason, and God still worked though men who did stupid things i.e. Abraham telling everyone his wife was his sister. That never made sense to me. Beautiful wife. Like throwing nectar to those looking....anyways, not to get off on another discussion. I think we can show a trend where God can use mistakes and sins as a catalyst to good events.

I have a tough time finding consolation in the idea that I can do everything I think I'm supposed to do and in the end it may never matter. I need to think something matters or else why do it at all?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, Starise, I realize that only in the lower part of your quote here are you speaking directly to me, but I think what I'm about to say applies also to your exchange with Mr. E. I don't mean to imply that you don't have this, but merely to make a point:

I truly understand that it can be discouraging not to "see the bounty," as you say; I would think this is true for all of us. But we can be sure that the full bounty will be ~ absolutely will be ~ realized, and in the time appointed... by our great God.

Grace and peace to you!

Christ taught--

"But a time is coming—and now is here —when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such people to be his worshipers. God is spirit, and the people who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

We see as though through a veil, or worse.... maybe more like one of those crazy carnival mirrors that distorts 'reality' in a way that you might say 'mocks' the truth. And the truth is not here. It's not our physical realm. God is spirit and we serve Him in spirit in ways we cannot even comprehend, nor do we realize or even have an awareness of-- for His ways are higher than our ways.

In spirit, we serve a great King. He tasks us with seemingly unimportant missions that might seem mundane, or worthless, or worse-- counterproductive. But we don't understand His purposes, neither do we understand our roles. Yet in spirit, we reign with Christ as a kingdom of priests of God and of Christ, in service. Acknowledging His sovereignty (and ability) is a key to serving with humility and joy, as @PinSeeker points out-- it's the starting point.

Be encouraged @Starise and know that your desire to be of service is never wasted, even when those purposes are unfathomable.