How Do You Deliver The Message?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had this thought cross my mind the other day and I wondered how others might view this.

I have noticed different delivery styles when believers share their beliefs and wanted to get a few thoughts from you guys about it.

-There's the bible scholar who posts long reams of scripture and very little commentary

-There's the bible scholar who posts long reams of text AND long reams of commentary

- There's the walking bible who has all aspects of the bible internalized. They might not know chapter and verse by memory but they can generally get to within a chapter or two of the text they want to comment on. This tends to show up in their delivery online as well.

I tend to fall into that last category. When I say "the bible says" something I don't make the comment unless I can refer to a bible section that states it. I see some problems with context in all delivery methods at times when a poster is trying to solidify a theological position and might overlook text that doesn't support it.
Possibly different delivery modes fit different readers so none of them are really bad per se.

Some who like deep diving in every single thread will gravitate towards the terminologies or original languages and what they see as the deeper aspects of a subject. Those who post in this way generally draw others of a similar stripe.

To the above I'm probably seen as a simpleton even though I know my bible pretty well. I am very much a to the point person and don't enjoy endlessly going round and round. Just tell me what it is you are trying to get across and leave the lexicons and references to those who think they need them. Maybe I really am a simpleton.
I just enjoy good to the point discussion. If it goes off the rails some that's generally ok and if we need to quote a specific passage to make our point I think that's always a good thing. I just don't prefer to feel like I'm being dragged into a bible training class. Younger belivers may appreciate that more. Neither am I saying I am above learning. I can always learn something new. I guess it's just the simple delivery system that works best for me.
I think it's good practice to present a text, I'm just not into posts so long It's going to take me an hour to read it.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. I'm simply stating what works best for me. What about you?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's good practice to present a text, I'm just not into books nor posts so long It's going to take me an hour to read it.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. I'm simply stating what works best for me. What about you.
Great OP. Thanks for starting this thread and welcome to the forum.

The Bible talks about being all things to all people so some might be saved. It means that we are not supposed to do what works best for us but what is more effective for others.

Having said that, I agree that brevity is the soul of wit. I have a high post count because I often succinctly reply to each sentence or paragraph as I find long posts often lose sight of certain profound points.

Regarding presenting a text, I found it most effective to not lead with this. 1st, establish a relationship with the person. Let them know you care about them. Find common ground - other than your faith. Only with this foundation may discussing your spiritual experience, your faith and God's word become real to them and take root.

For instance, a coworker's wife abruptly left him and filed for divorce. He needed a place to stay. 1st, I provided a shelter for him. Then I showed my love for him by listening to his experience and real pain and shared mine when appropriate. He came to church with me after a few months.

Hope this helps.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just don't prefer to feel like I'm being dragged into a bible training class.
This reminds me of a sermon last year. The pastor said that if you are going to be a witness for God, be a good witness. (There is such a thing as an adverse witness.)

I hate proselyztizers! There is an important distinction with evangelizing. The former is coercive, berating, badgering. The latter is lovingly and patiently inviting without the negative feelings you mention.

Although some have come to Christ, they struggle to die to self and use their Bible knowledge to puff up themselves rather than their redeemer. As Paul said, I am the worst of sinners. There are no 1st class Christians. Said differently, there are only 2nd class Christians. I've said many times on these boards that knowledge does not save us and is one of the most common IDOLATRIES in all of Christiandom.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Debp and Starise

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray while I post, and post what seems good. Sometimes its one way, sometimes it's another way.

And it's not all bad "overthinking". I think that means you've covered the territory better, so long as it doesn't leave you in a cognitive paralysis!

:)

Much love!
Good point @marks . Sometimes to make a point more is required. It isn't as if all of it can be approached the same way.EDITED to say I really like the idea of entering into this in prayer.

On overthinking. For me it can get serious, like I've thought about meds for it that's how bad it can be. I call them thought loops or reexaminations ad infinitum. This is like lay in the bed at 2am wide awake stuff.

Great OP. Thanks for starting this thread and welcome to the forum.

The Bible talks about being all things to all people so some might be saved. It means that we are not supposed to do what works best for us but what is more effective for others.

Having said that, I agree that brevity is the soul of wit. I have a high post count because I often succinctly reply to each sentence or paragraph as I find long posts often lose sight of certain profound points.

Regarding presenting a text, I found it most effective to not lead with this. 1st, establish a relationship with the person. Let them know you care about them. Find common ground - other than your faith. Only with this foundation may discussing your spiritual experience, your faith and God's word become real to them and take root.

For instance, a coworker's wife abruptly left him and filed for divorce. He needed a place to stay. 1st, I provided a shelter for him. Then I showed my love for him by listening to his experience and real pain and shared mine when appropriate. He came to church with me after a few months.

Hope this helps.

Nice to meet you @Wrangler . Have you found yourself falling into those slots without much thought?

Seems you and I would be similar here. I have a high post count elsewhere mainly because I'm clowning with other members so it isn't nearly as impressive as it may seem, or as you say, if I can say it in a few sentences why say more?

On your third point, I asked my wife about this today and this is exactly what she said. Establish a relationship first. I was referring to someone other than myself as an example.

I'm sorry to hear of your co worker.It seems you were able to help him and I'm glad to see he went to church. That's tough.

Reactions: Debp and marks

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you found yourself falling into those slots without much thought?

Yes. Putting aside all doctrinal pontifications, my unbelieving neighbor said it best in a stream of consciousness. He realized that I am friends with everyone.

I believe the word love is mistranslated in Scripture and the better word is to have universal compassion for everyone.

Being recognized as everyone’s friend is the best compliment I ever got - or could get! I let my friends know that I don’t always agree with them but I say it respectfully enough so they know the friendship does not depend on my agreeing.

Seems you and I would be similar here. I have a high post count elsewhere mainly because I'm clowning with other members so it isn't nearly as impressive as it may seem, or as you say, if I can say it in a few sentences why say more?
I identify with the 19th century author Oscar Wilde. He wrote a letter to a friend apologizing for the long letter, explaining that he did not have time to write a shorter letter. :vgood:

Reactions: Starise and Debp

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I got saved, the pastor told me as long as one believes Jesus was raised from the dead, that means they are saved and nothing else really matters after that

He made a big deal about getting saved is by faith alone and how people lives doesn't change anything so that was his deal.

He had like a doctor degree from a baptist school for preachers. There's a big plague in his office about that so I guess he's gone to school to learn about all this stuff.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I got saved, the pastor told me as long as one believes Jesus was raised from the dead, that means they are saved and nothing else really matters after that

He made a big deal about getting saved is by faith alone and how people lives doesn't change anything so that was his deal.

He had like a doctor degree from a baptist school for preachers. There's a big plague in his office about that so I guess he's gone to school to learn about all this stuff.
Yesterday's sermon was on point but anticlimaxic. He said God's will for our lives is not an event (like success) but a process. Col 3:12-17. Whatever you do is God's will as long as you do it with his Spirit - kind, patient, tender hearted, merciful, loving, etc. In short, be like Jesus.

In my experience the way, the divine way is simple. It is so simple, the human mind wants to complicate the hell out of it with mind boggling rituals, sit, stand, kneel, sing this song, formulaic response (respond with these words when I say these words).

Another Pastor said that by believing on Christ, it's not that your circumstances change; it's that your stronger in dealing with your circumstances because you are not relying on your own strength anymore.

Reactions: Starise and Pearl

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my experience the way, the divine way is simple. It is so simple, the human mind wants to complicate the hell out of it with mind boggling rituals, sit, stand, kneel, sing this song, formulaic response (respond with these words when I say these words).

Another Pastor said that by believing on Christ, it's not that your circumstances change; it's that your stronger in dealing with your circumstances because you are not relying on your own strength anymore.
Yes, and I can see how empty all of that ritual stuff is. A new believer can go out and win another believer. What does that tell us?

A well known verse-
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

I learned long ago I can't do anything in my own strength. The things God uses me to do don't often feel very significant. In fact it seems like He has me do things that all fail. Surely no way to get cocky there.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really am a simpleton...it's just the simple delivery system that works best for me.
Sounds Biblical to me:

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your​
minds should be corrupted from The Simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3)​
Amen.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

A person doesn't need to go to preacher college to know this Christian stuff. Anybody open to the Holy Spirit can know things.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person doesn't need to go to preacher college to know this Christian stuff. Anybody open to the Holy Spirit can know things.

Apparently not see there are conflicting thoughts from everyone.

One one hand some are saying once you're saved that's it, you can never not be saved after that.

And others claim if you don't stop doing certain things you aren't actually saved as though we have to earn salvation by stopping certain things.

It's no wonder most people don't want to go to church!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And sometimes...after reading all of that above...t is good to just remain silent and think about Him.

Reactions: Pearl

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Maybe looking at methodologies isn't necessarily productive. I believe a lot of our approaches has to do with what we are seeking to accomplish. It's naive' to think only Christians come to Christian message boards. There will also be the seekers, and if we aren't here to minster what would the other motives be?

That's what shapes a lot of what I post. People are looking for things that help them in life's realities. That may not look like a Sunday school lesson.

Being a realist, it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work I can't describe it to anyone else. When an atheist or agnostic doesn't connect with Romans 1:20 am I to pass them off as all fools? I can't do that because in reality creation/nature lead me to a God but they don't take me all the way to Jesus without help and understanding. Who or where does that come from? Most often I think it's us.

Let's face it, even as believers we may sometimes doubt. Thomas was no less a believer he just needed proof. What constitutes proof to an unbeliever can sometimes seem to look like a bottomless pit. We need to be centered in order to center them. Many of them know the bible better than many Christians, so we need to know a lot about why we believe what we believe. This may entail a more nuanced detailed description, but often I think the simpler accurate descriptions are more focused. This is why I don't personally post lots of references. If called on I can give them. They need the meat of an issue and not a lengthy explanation that doesn't look as if we are trying to get around a question we can't answer.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had this thought cross my mind the other day and I wondered how others might view this.

I have noticed different delivery styles when believers share their beliefs and wanted to get a few thoughts from you guys about it.

-There's the bible scholar who posts long reams of scripture and very little commentary

-There's the bible scholar who posts long reams of text AND long reams of commentary

- There's the walking bible who has all aspects of the bible internalized. They might not know chapter and verse by memory but they can generally get to within a chapter or two of the text they want to comment on. This tends to show up in their delivery online as well.

I tend to fall into that last category. When I say "the bible says" something I don't make the comment unless I can refer to a bible section that states it. I see some problems with context in all delivery methods at times when a poster is trying to solidify a theological position and might overlook text that doesn't support it.
Possibly different delivery modes fit different readers so none of them are really bad per se.

Some who like deep diving in every single thread will gravitate towards the terminologies or original languages and what they see as the deeper aspects of a subject. Those who post in this way generally draw others of a similar stripe.

To the above I'm probably seen as a simpleton even though I know my bible pretty well. I am very much a to the point person and don't enjoy endlessly going round and round. Just tell me what it is you are trying to get across and leave the lexicons and references to those who think they need them. Maybe I really am a simpleton.
I just enjoy good to the point discussion. If it goes off the rails some that's generally ok and if we need to quote a specific passage to make our point I think that's always a good thing. I just don't prefer to feel like I'm being dragged into a bible training class. Younger belivers may appreciate that more. Neither am I saying I am above learning. I can always learn something new. I guess it's just the simple delivery system that works best for me.
I think it's good practice to present a text, I'm just not into posts so long It's going to take me an hour to read it.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. I'm simply stating what works best for me. What about you?

Welcome to the forum Starise.

It's different strokes for different folks.

‘We played the flute for you, yet you did not dance;
we wailed in mourning, yet you did not weep.’

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The statement "Go into all the world and make disciples of all men", should (in the original language) read, "as you go."

And yes, the different gifts of the Holy Spirit make some preachers and teachers and prophets, etc.. But "as you go" gives us the indication that spreading the good news of the salvation of Christ Jesus is also to mean "as you are" or "in the way God has made you, and where He has placed you", or "as or how you live"--not actually some religious formula.

And there is another component also: that of our testimony. As it is written, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony." Thus, we are to "as we go", tell of the sacrifice of Jesus, but also of what God has done in us as an example and a testimony.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's a case-by-case thing for me, Starise. I try not to be overly wordy or long-winded, but I do whatever I think is called for in any one particular case. But always, at least intention-wise, in the fruit (singular) of the Spirit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23) and according to the Law of Christ, which is fulfilled by bearing one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2).

Like you, I think for me it is more that last category (the Word internalized), which, I think as we spend more and more time in the Word ~ with Jesus ~ becomes more and more the case... God, by His Spirit, makes us more and more like Jesus. God makes us what He wants us to be, so it is formative in that respect. And... to God be the glory for that. :)

Grace and peace to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Starise and amadeus