How Do You Find A Good Church ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have tried to find the right church for me ever since I moved to the town I live in - it has not been easy. I have ended up going to an emergent church with a really good minister who challenges his congregation AND I go to a Franciscan Catholic Church, as well.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are looking for a 'good' Church some concessions will have to be made. If you are looking for the 'perfect' Church you wont find it.
If 'any' church will do, then stay home and study your bible 'til you see differently.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Look for the brothers who are being falsely persecuted. Look for brothers who meet everyday in humility and faith. Look for those who are hated by the religious establishment as being "dangerous". :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is such a thing, it's the Body of Christ, the true church.

Yes but you wont find it, because it isnt in a building, not run by men, doesnt have man as its High priest and belongs to no denimination. It is spiritual, not worldy like mens church.

In His Love

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
Yes but you wont find it, because it isnt in a building, not run by men, doesnt have man as its High priest and belongs to no denimination. It is spiritual, not worldy like mens church.

In His Love
I agree, but you can find the believers.
peace -

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Reformers were never anti-religion. They would be shocked that the schism of Christianity they started has become anti-religion. Sola Scriptura was never meant to be an attack on church.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the number one issue one should have when finding a Church is whether they are preaching the truth, and if they are willing to preach the entire Bible. In other words, are there some subjects in the Bible that they would just stay away from? If so, then that would be a Church to avoid.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
It seems to me that the number one issue one should have when finding a Church is whether they are preaching the truth, and if they are willing to preach the entire Bible. In other words, are there some subjects in the Bible that they would just stay away from? If so, then that would be a Church to avoid.
Amen to that !!!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is a good point. When was the last time you guys have heard a sermon on the famine in Kings that caused one women to become anger at her neighbor because they agreed to eat her baby for dinner first and then, when it came time to eat her neighbors baby, she backed out of the deal?

Based on church sermons, sometimes it is hard to remember that there is more in the Bible than Paul's letters.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
[sub]1. Based on the Word of God (Holy Bible)[/sub]
[sub]2. Preaches Jesus Christ lived, died, resurrected, & ascension[/sub]
[sub]3. Lifestyle of the pastor and believers are Holiness and righteousness[/sub]
[sub]4. Prayer is held in high esteem[/sub]
[sub]5. Lead by the Holy Spirit in inspiration, fruit, & gifts[/sub]
[sub]6. Praise & Worship is in spirit and truth[/sub]
[sub]7. Follow the leading of God[/sub]

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Most have an idea of what they believe and denominations that may dovetail with those beliefs.

Because I moved many times in my life due to the military and my civilian job I have had to 'church shop' more than once.

Does the church teach and follow God's Word.
Does the church sincerely praise and worship Him.
Does the church seek His face and His guidance.

Just because the church makes you "feel good" doesn't mean that it is the right church.

If what you believe doesn't agree with what God believes, then finding a church that believes what you do and welcomes you with open arms is going to do you more harm than good.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Whatever church you find yourself is the right church.

If it needs correction, correct it.
If it needs life, live for it.
If it needs strengthening, strengthen it.
If it needs love, love it.
If it needs disciples, obey the Great Commission.
If it needs you, BE THERE.

Now, if the members reject you or your message or efforts without cause then you are free to join another congregation.

However, this advice is not cartblanc to try to charge hell with a squirt gun! I am not (as a Reformed Baptist) going to step into a Roman Catholic parish and expect to change them all to Calvinists! Please use some Godly (and worldly) discression.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Does the church teach and follow God's Word.
Does the church sincerely praise and worship Him.
Does the church seek His face and His guidance.

Just because the church makes you "feel good" doesn't mean that it is the right church.

and what is the Church? Is not community of believers? And from what I can see is usually no one has the right to speak in addition to a handful of clerics.

When I come to the Cathedral for some I see always the same model - song, prayer, sermon. Nobody has the right to get up and say that, for example, he disagrees with something, there is a total ban on criticism of the clergy, at most you can go "on the carpet," and say in private what usually ends slandering, denigration, by telling the you have the spirit of rebellion, the prohibition of criticism and prohibition to speak at all... ... I know this from experience.

Typically, the interpreter is in the church is to be in order, and criticism interferes it. It true, but who in truth, this is not afraid of criticism, and the second thing is that the present order is no different from sectarian oder.

I was a member of this congregation by about 8 years and now when I see sectarianism (and I see it everywhere where I went) I can not compel myself continue to walk there.

Somehow I can not reconcile the biblical "a royal priesthood" ( 1Pe 2:9 ), "servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God" ( 1Co 4:1 ) with parishioners, which have nothing to say and which you can take water from the brain as the "choice" caste like.

I heard from the good old days was the custom after preaching ask questions - it was good, but this good habit long ago trampled ... for holy peace "anointed". Therefore so much unrighteousness...