How Do You Read Your Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'm going to be honest here and say that when I read my bible, I take it literally. :)

If a passage of scripture begins in a literal sense, it should not deviate into something figurative, half way through. If for some reason a passage or chapter does not make any sense when read literally, I would consider it to be figurative. Either way, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me understand what I am reading and if I come to a place where I am stumped about a passage, I will leave it and not try to work it out. I just leave it to God, to reveal at a later time.

How do you read your bible and do you use other resources as well?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Angelina said:
I'm going to be honest here and say that when I read my bible, I take it literally. :)

If a passage of scripture begins in a literal sense, it should not deviate into something figurative, half way through. If for some reason a passage or chapter does not make any sense when read literally, I would consider it to be figurative. Either way, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me understand what I am reading and if I come to a place where I am stumped about a passage, I will leave it and not try to work it out. I just leave it to God, to reveal at a later time.

I try not to use the term literal because the literal interpretation can be either spiritual, or natural (physical) depending upon GOD's intent. Literal just means real or actual, which could pertain to either spiritual or physical. So I strive to say natural instead of literal. My rule is that if it can be interpreted naturally, that is probably the intended meaning. If not, I look for a spiritual meaning. Things become much clearer that way; and it aligns with Paul's rule: first the natural, then the spiritual.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try to do my reading on its own first - so I'll use a non-study Bible after I have prayed for understanding. I try not to read it flippantly, but if I do have some time I may open up real quick if I just feel the need to be in the Word at that time.

I try and compare a couple trusted versions - I rotate from using the ESV, NIV, or HCSB as my primary and I will compare the other translation(s) with one another to make sure I am not missing a meaning or subtlety. I also like to include the NKJV, NRSV, NLT, NASB from time to time, depending upon the angle I want to approach it. From there, I then dive into commentary or study Bible material associated with the passage. I do not own a full-on commentary, but I do have some "commentary-esque" resources - I particularly use the ESV Study Bible, The Fire Bible (NIV), NKJV Study Bible, MacArthur Bible (ESV), NLT Study Bible and HCSB Study Bible.

I find it important in my study to read others voices that I trust for orthodoxy. I think it can be very easy to say that the Spirit leads but then I come up with my own interpretations.

I am definitely like Angelina, though, in that sometimes you have to pray for understanding and "walk away" to let God work that part of the passage in at a later time.

Afterall:

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. - Psalm 119:97

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
If we take the words, doctrines, parables, and teachings of the Master as the Rock foundation of all Scripture then we should not go wrong. Whenever Yeshua says something represents something else then that is what it represents throughout. The following is a perfect example: I quote the Mark companion passage first because the GNT Morph compilation text does not contain Matthew 17:21. However, that fact is inconsequential because the statement is found in the Gospel of Mark companion passage and these passages clearly record the same event. This therefore is the correct "layered" understanding:

Mark 9:13-19 KJV
13. But I say unto you, That Elias is indeed come, and they have done unto him whatsoever they listed, as it is written of him.
14. And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes questioning with them.
15. And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him.
16. And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them?
17. And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;
18. And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.
19. He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.
20. And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.
21. And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.
22. And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.
23. Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
25. When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
26. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.
27. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.
28. And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?
29. And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Matthew 17:18-21 KJV
18. And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20. And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

The devils in the Scripture are therefore likened unto "evil mountains" in the doctrine of Yeshua.
There are therefore "good mountains" and "evil mountains" and the evil are a genos that must be "removed to yonder place".
This will not fail the faithful disciple the Word . . . :)

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Angelina said:

I would say similar to yourself, but would include comparing spiritual things with spiritual, so as to get the big picture as well. i.e. systematically. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yay! I just found my NIV Thompson Chain Reference Edition, Study Bible 1984. [In my boardgames cupboard]. Which I thought I 'd lost years ago... Oh Happy Day!
awa4h.gif

Reactions: biggandyy

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I take the Holy Writ as the inspired Word of God given unto holy men to write. It is God breathed and infallible and of the Holy Spirit. I ask that the Holy Spirit would give me the proper understanding and revelation and interpretation and application of the Word. I also look at commentaries and expositions of the text from other Christian preachers, theologians and bible believers.

kbrenton

Dec 13, 2014
Delaware
Hi,

I have always started with a prayer for wisdom and understanding, so I can see Gods word and not my own. I have varied in my techniques at different times. I enjoy reading the chronilogical version of the Bible along with my study Bible. It has helpd me in understanding the basics and details of the time. I like the NIV version but also the New American version as well. I think ithelps to read several different versions along with commentaries and trusted other readings. It is important to keep your mind open to what God is showing you. I also have different reading times. Sometimes I study my Bible to learn more about God or His word, othertimes I just like to read it with no direct course and see what I can see. Then there are times I read casually, just to read it. I have also been known to pull out my Bible when I am watching t.v like documentaries and tbey say something I am not sure is true so I check it out for myself.

God Bless, Kim