How likely was the first day a 24-hour period?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Days 1, 2, and 3 are the same length of 24 hour-day of 7 days creation.
Sez WHO? How can there be a 24 hour-day if the sun hadn't been created yet?

And since the Bible says, "One day (24 hours) is like a THOUSAND days....draw your own conclusion.
By the way, the verse says, "one day is LIKE a thousand days..."

Not that it IS a thousand days...
Already in Genesis 1:1 God said, "In the beginning" that is in the beginning of the first day, God began to show us how He created the universe in 7 days.
Annnnnd....what were "days" according to God at that point?
Jesus said in John 11:9-10:
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus here is definitely confirming that there are 24-hour in a day as we have them today. No more speculating!

To God Be The Glory
Yup. No more speculating NOW.

Not necessarily at the beginning...

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

Darkness was followed by light.

The usage of "night" here was related to the darkness in verse 2. The usage of "day" here was related to the creation of the light and not the sun. Here I define the first day as the time elapsed from Genesis 1:2 to 1:5.

Could the first day be defined as a 24-hour earthly solar day?

I doubt it. The flow of time is not absolute but a relativistic experience. It depends on the local gravity or acceleration exerted on the time observer. To my reading, the first day seems short. God was the observer, 2 Peter 3:

This is not an equation but a simile. God is timeless and above time. There were no human observers there to experience the first day. The first day marked the creation of light and delineated it from the creation of the following day. These days were markers of milestones of achievements placed by God.

See also How old is the earth?.
Aren't you trying to establish ...time...in the spirit world?....when the Bible tells us there is no time there?
Isn't it probable that when God said...let there be light .....that was the point when God established night and day?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to distinguish between time and linear sequence.

Sure.
Not so....linear of sequence...(a bad suggestion of application) requires a cause. God's spirit world .......has no cause mandated.
You can't have no presence of validation and then reach to technical modality instead.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not so....linear of sequence...(a bad suggestion of application) requires a cause.
Reference?

BTW, it is linear sequence, not linear of sequence. Please read my words carefully. Do you know what a linear sequence or linear ordering is? You should not comment on something you don't know anything about. It only demonstrates your ignorance.

Last edited:

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reference?

BTW, it is linear sequence, not linear of sequence. Please read my words carefully. Do you know what a linear sequence or linear ordering is? You should not comment on something you don't know anything about.
Lets start with a reference of your use of....linear sequence...?
Thank you I am well informed of linear sequence. It does not fit your usage.
Error.... of...was a typo. Which I am not. Did it feel good to headline that obvious error (on purpose..I submit)...or did you have to look it up? I like tests they reveal.
Before we go further after your reference...I will only respond once again to you on your reference position during this colloquy.....as I am more interested in God's word...not dialogue elemental essentials.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lets start with a reference of your use of....linear sequence...?
Thank you I am well informed of linear sequence.
What is a linear order? What's its definition? What's its unit of measure? How does it compare to partial order and time?

Last edited:

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im a new earth guy. So each day was 100pyrs so that puts us at 13k+ yrs
And did the 24hr periods start before the flood

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

Darkness was followed by light.

The usage of "night" here was related to the darkness in verse 2. The usage of "day" here was related to the creation of the light and not the sun. Here I define the first day as the time elapsed from Genesis 1:2 to 1:5.

Could the first day be defined as a 24-hour earthly solar day?

I doubt it. The flow of time is not absolute but a relativistic experience. It depends on the local gravity or acceleration exerted on the time observer. To my reading, the first day seems short. God was the observer, 2 Peter 3:

This is not an equation but a simile. God is timeless and above time. There were no human observers there to experience the first day. The first day marked the creation of light and delineated it from the creation of the following day. These days were markers of milestones of achievements placed by God.

See also How old is the earth?.
In my opinion, it is not likely that any of the days of creation are 24-hour days. Even the measure time in hours depends upon the existence of the sun with the earth in rotation about its axis. As does, by the way, the usual meaning of evening and morning.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolute zero!

The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods-in a measurable way for humans to understand. Yet, only six of them have ended. (Genesis 1:31) However, with respect to the seventh day, God proceeded to rest. This indicates that this “day” has continued. (Genesis 2:1-3) Thousands of years later, Paul indicated that the seventh day has not concluded. At Hebrews 3:10, 11; 18, 19; 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Psalms 95:11) and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” Therefore, one “creative day” was-at a minimum-several thousand years in length.
That is not what this says (Genesis 2 Hebrew interlinear says He restED, not proceeded to rest.1700849976615.png

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sez WHO? How can there be a 24 hour-day if the sun hadn't been created yet?

And since the Bible says, "One day (24 hours) is like a THOUSAND days....draw your own conclusion.
If all Scripture is inspired, and Genesis is Scripture, and not written with symbols or visions, I think GOD SEZ WHO.

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If all Scripture is inspired, and Genesis is Scripture, and not written with symbols or visions, I think GOD SEZ WHO.

Amen, Sis

It seems to be a terminal human condition that the simple utterances of God are rejected in favor of complicated explanations, while the things He says that are hard to be understood are oversimplified.

When I first became a Christian I could never have imagined the limits to which men now stretch their minds to avoid believing and obeying God.

I shudder in fear when I think of the price folks are carelessly deferring to pay at the bar of judgment for their pride and presumption amidst their peace and safety.

"All Scripture..." the Bible says, and man says "but I say..."

It will be a proverbial open-and-shut case.

I would like to be kinder and gentler but the hour is late. :)

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra