How likely was the first day a 24-hour period?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 1:

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Darkness was first.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
Light was next.

4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
Darkness was followed by light.

5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
The usage of "night" here was related to the darkness in verse 2. The usage of "day" here was related to the creation of the light and not the sun. Here I define the first day as the time elapsed from Genesis 1:2 to 1:5.

Could the first day be defined as a 24-hour earthly solar day?

I doubt it. The flow of time is not absolute but a relativistic experience. It depends on the local gravity or acceleration exerted on the time observer. To my reading, the first day seems short. God was the observer, 2 Peter 3:

8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
This is not an equation but a simile. God is timeless and above time. There were no human observers there to experience the first day. The first day marked the creation of light and delineated it from the creation of the following day. These days were markers of milestones of achievements placed by God.

See also How old is the earth?.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

The usage of "night" here was related to the darkness in verse 2. The usage of "day" here was related to the creation of the light and not the sun. Here I define the first day as the time elapsed from Genesis 1:2 to 1:5.

I doubt it. The flow of time is not absolute but a relativistic experience. It depends on the local gravity or acceleration exerted on the time observer. To my reading, the first day seems short. God was the observer, 2 Peter 3:

This is not an equation but a simile. God is timeless and above time. There were no human observers there to experience the first day. The first day marked the creation of light and delineated it from the creation of the following day. These days were markers of milestones of achievements placed by God.

Exodus 20:8-11 KJV
8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

What sort of "day" would you suppose God had in mind in this passage?

Much love!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

I might have "Liked" your post, but have not visited the link.

However, what you have posted is otherwise good, and yet only by the thinking of mankind. Again, this is good, as you are addressing mankind. In other words, your explanation uses the terms that mankind will and does understand, meaning that you have described things mechanically from that limited perspective. What is missing, is an explanation from God's actual and greater perspective according to the promise of being led unto all truth by Christ.

But again, I say Good! because most are not ready to hear all truth and are not past calling anything beyond their own limited understanding heresy. Sadly.

Perhaps then, you would like to change course and begin to "make straight the way of the Lord" toward all truth as promised.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

Absolute zero!

The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods-in a measurable way for humans to understand. Yet, only six of them have ended. (Genesis 1:31) However, with respect to the seventh day, God proceeded to rest. This indicates that this “day” has continued. (Genesis 2:1-3) Thousands of years later, Paul indicated that the seventh day has not concluded. At Hebrews 3:10, 11; 18, 19; 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Psalms 95:11) and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” Therefore, one “creative day” was-at a minimum-several thousand years in length.

Last edited:

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20:8-11 KJV
8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

What sort of "day" would you suppose God had in mind in this passage?

Much love!
The word "day" in Hebrew can have different meanings depending on context. It could mean "morning", or "afternoon"...or an "age"...or "amount", etc. The list is pretty long in Strong's!

And even though most of us here are English-speaking, when we say "day", we don't always mean a 24 hour period, nor do we always mean "the time period during 24 hours when it's light."

It's almost 10 a.m. where I live. I've been awake since about 5 a.m. Tomorrow, I have a monthly inspection to go through, and I'll be spending the "day" cleaning my apartment. It doesn't mean I'll be cleaning for 24 hours. It doesn't mean I'll be cleaning from sun up to sundown. It simply means that the bulk of my waking day will be spent cleaning, even if it's *only* 51% of my waking hours.

I think I see what TonyChan is getting at. While God created light on the first "day", the sun wasn't created until 4th "day." There are different kinds of "light" in our universe, and MOST of the "light" is undetectable by human eyes.

In John 8:12, Christ declared, "I am the LIGHT of the world." He sure didn't mean "sunlight.", lol!

But could he have meant the same "light" as in Genesis 1:3? That all that came into be was from His "light" on that first "day"?

Reactions: TonyChanYT

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "day" in Hebrew can have different meanings depending on context. It could mean "morning", or "afternoon"...or an "age"...or "amount", etc. The list is pretty long in Strong's!

And even though most of us here are English-speaking, when we say "day", we don't always mean a 24 hour period, nor do we always mean "the time period during 24 hours when it's light."

It's almost 10 a.m. where I live. I've been awake since about 5 a.m. Tomorrow, I have a monthly inspection to go through, and I'll be spending the "day" cleaning my apartment. It doesn't mean I'll be cleaning for 24 hours. It doesn't mean I'll be cleaning from sun up to sundown. It simply means that the bulk of my waking day will be spent cleaning, even if it's *only* 51% of my waking hours.

I think I see what TonyChan is getting at. While God created light on the first "day", the sun wasn't created until 4th "day." There are different kinds of "light" in our universe, and MOST of the "light" is undetectable by human eyes.

In John 8:12, Christ declared, "I am the LIGHT of the world." He sure didn't mean "sunlight.", lol!

But could he have meant the same "light" as in Genesis 1:3? That all that came into be was from His "light" on that first "day"?
What are your thoughts about the Jewish Sabbath day? Would we agree this is referring to a 24 hour day?

If that's so, isn't that day being included as the same kind of day as the days of creation? To me that seems to be a fairly simple understanding from the passage. 7 days are mentioned, and we know for certain the length of one of them. If that's not what God meant, why would He say that?

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are your thoughts about the Jewish Sabbath day? Would we agree this is referring to a 24 hour day?
Ummm....to a point. I mean, when someone* in the Bible referred to traveling a "Sabbath's Day's journey", did they mean a 24 hour period?
(*Sorry. I forgot who said that/which passage!)
If that's so, isn't that day being included as the same kind of day as the days of creation?
Why would it be? I mentioned Strong's before. The word "day" can mean different things, depending on the situation. In other words, context is everything.
To me that seems to be a fairly simple understanding from the passage. 7 days are mentions, and we know for certain the length of one of them. If that's not what God meant, why would He say that?

Much love!
As humans go, some of us take things too literally, not understanding context, and seeing everything as black-or-white.

From our 'scientific' understanding, the universe is a little over 13 billion "years" old, whereas the sun is only 4.6 billion "years" old.

So what kind of "timekeeping" did God use "from the beginning" until the sun was created?

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that's so, isn't that day being included as the same kind of day as the days of creation? To me that seems to be a fairly simple understanding from the passage. 7 days are mentions, and we know for certain the length of one of them. If that's not what God meant, why would He say that?
Good question!

:)

Here is another similar question: If God created man in his own "image", does that mean mankind is a mere image or more than a mere image?

See the issue? It becomes an matter of who is defining it, mankind or God. But as you say-- Why would He say that? Why indeed!

Reactions: marks

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From our 'scientific' understanding, the universe is a little over 13 billion "years" old, whereas the sun is only 4.6 billion "years" old.

So what kind of "timekeeping" did God use "from the beginning" until the sun was created?

Another good question!

Ours--God created our timekeeping, not for Himself, but for mankind...and then made it manifest.

He told us the timekeeping terms, which many believe. And yet He has also made manifest the times according to those who do not believe.

The times of the Wheat and the Tares, they are different.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another good question!

Ours--God created our timekeeping, not for Himself, but for mankind...and then made it manifest.

He told us the timekeeping terms, which many believe. And yet He has also made manifest the times according to those who do not believe.

The times of the Wheat and the Tares, they are different.
How would God create "our" timekeeping before He even created the sun? OUR timekeeping is based on the sun.

God's timekeeping is not.

What about "timekeeping" before the sun was created?

LIght and darkness. Sky and waters. Land, seas, plants and trees.

Some say "plants and trees couldn't exist without the sun." Yeah? Sez WHO? Supposed 'scientists'?

Or God?

MY question is, WHY are we limiting God to "our" 'science'? Especially since we supposedly believe that with God ALL things are possible?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Darkness was first.

Light was next.

No one acted as an observer during the inception of life, and neither the creation nor evolution model can be replicated in laboratory experiments. While there is substantial evidence supporting the concept of Creation as the correct explanation for origins, the belief in a Creation occurring within six literal days is primarily founded on Scriptural accounts. Below are some passages from Scripture that lend support to this perspective:

The Hebrew term for day, "yom," shares similarities with the English language, as it can refer to both a literal twenty-four-hour day and a more indefinite period of time, as seen in expressions like "For the day of the Lord is at hand" (Joel 1:15).

However, it's worth noting that when "yom" is used in conjunction with a numeral—such as "day one," "day two," "first day," "second day," and so on—it consistently signifies a literal twenty-four-hour day without exceptions. In the Genesis Creation narrative, "yom" is employed alongside numerals, indicating the author's intention for readers to interpret these as literal days lasting twenty-four hours.

During the Israelites' journey in the wilderness, God provided them with sustenance—manna—each morning. They were instructed to collect only enough for their immediate needs for that day, as any surplus would spoil by the following morning. However, on Fridays, they were directed to gather a double portion of manna because none would be available on the Sabbath (Saturday) morning.

Remarkably, the extra manna gathered on Friday for use on Saturday did not spoil, as described in Exodus 16:11-26. This serves as an illustration that the weekly Sabbath, recurring every seven literal days, continued to serve as a commemoration of the Creation week. Therefore, the weekly cycle provides evidence that the days of Creation were indeed literal days, each lasting twenty-four hours.

As a unit of time, the week lacks a foundation in the natural movements of the Earth, moon, or sun, unlike the day, the month, and the year, which are tied to astronomical phenomena. Apart from the Creation week as detailed in Genesis, there appears to be no inherent basis for the week as a unit of time. This observation further supports the notion that the Creation week described in Genesis consisted of seven literal days.

God designated the seventh day of the Creation week as a sacred day of rest. This practice of observing the Sabbath was upheld by the Israelites during their time in the wilderness and persisted through the era of Christ, as seen in passages like Luke 4:16 and Luke 23:55-56, and also during the time of the Apostle Paul, as indicated in Acts 17:2. Orthodox Jewish communities still faithfully observe the seventh-day Sabbath to this day. Despite changes made to calendars over the centuries, the unbroken continuity of the weekly cycle, which comprises seven days, remains intact. This continuity stands as evidence that the Creation week indeed consisted of seven literal days.

The perspective that each day in the Genesis Creation account represents an extended period of time, rather than literal twenty-four-hour days, presents certain challenges. For instance, according to Genesis, plants were created on the third day (Genesis 1:11-13), while sunlight was created on the fourth day (Genesis 1:14-19). If the third day were indeed an extended period, it raises questions about how plants could have thrived without sunlight. Similarly, many plants rely on insects for pollination, yet insects were not created until the sixth day (Genesis 1:24-25) if these days were meant to symbolize extended time periods.

The fourth commandment, as expressed in Exodus 20:8-11, establishes a clear connection between the seventh day (the Sabbath) and the weekly cycle. The word "remember" at the outset of this commandment holds significance, emphasizing the importance of the Sabbath within the context of a seven-day week. This admonition regarding days of labor and a day of rest would lose its meaning if the days were interpreted as extremely long eons of time, far exceeding human lifespans.

The wording of the creation account in the first two chapters of Genesis is most effectively interpreted as referring to literal days. Expressions like "day and night," "evening and morning," and "light and darkness" within the text are challenging to comprehend as indefinite periods of time. They strongly suggest a straightforward understanding of days as literal twenty-four-hour cycles.

Evolution encompasses two distinct aspects: minor change, referred to as microevolution, and major change, known as macroevolution.

Microevolution is readily observable within living organisms, as exemplified by the multitude of dog breeds or the diverse varieties of roses, among other examples. Both plants and animals can be selectively bred to develop specific characteristics, illustrating the concept of microevolution.

While microevolution, which involves minor changes within species, is widely demonstrated and accepted, macroevolution—major changes between species—remains a topic of ongoing debate. Evolutionists present various lines of evidence in support of macroevolution, but upon closer examination, some argue that the evidence may be weak, subject to alternative interpretations, or potentially incorrect. It's essential to distinguish between these two aspects of evolution: microevolution is widely regarded as a fact, while macroevolution is not definitively proven. However, macroevolution is a crucial component of the theory of evolution, as it is required to account for the origin of complex life forms from simpler organisms.

It's important to note that while some scientists may refer to evolution as a fact, they may be referring to the broader concept of evolutionary processes, which includes both microevolution and macroevolution. The search for a satisfactory mechanism to explain the transitions from simple to complex life forms (macroevolution) continues to be an active area of scientific research and inquiry.

To make an informed judgment between the perspectives of Creation and evolution, one must possess knowledge about the evidence supporting both viewpoints. By carefully and impartially examining the evidence for both positions, it is believed that individuals can arrive at their own conclusions. Upon such examination, the evidence for Creation by an Intelligent Being emerges as the stronger case.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would God create "our" timekeeping before He even created the sun? OUR timekeeping is based on the sun.

God's timekeeping is not.

What about "timekeeping" before the sun was created?

LIght and darkness. Sky and waters. Land, seas, plants and trees.

Some say "plants and trees couldn't exist without the sun." Yeah? Sez WHO? Supposed 'scientists'?

Or God?
You are looking at man's understanding of the mechanics of time as we now perceive it to be--but that is not what God has done.

God has rather made manifest a storyline called history (His story) to reveal all, all the good and all the evil, meaning what people correctly believe and also what people incorrectly believe. Which is to say, first of all, that there is nothing factual about any of it, but rather it is God who is timeless who is factual, and this is a mere creation...or as it is written of the creation of man, an "image." Only. As such then, there exists within this image both what God has stated and some believe regarding time as though the world has existed for "thousands" of years, but also the image of what those who do not believe God believe as being "millions" or "billions" of years old. The point being that God has not created what He has created except for the purpose of revealing all things before the judgement, "that the man of sin should be revealed."

MY question is, WHY are we limiting God to "our" 'science'? Especially since we supposedly believe that with God ALL things are possible?
That is a good question, and one that ought to lead to a dead end and therefore a change of perspective. But men taking it up with men simply leaves a difference of opinion until both realize that what God has done is according to His own purpose, rather than what men have supposed. On the contrary, this is our last will and testament and evidence before the judgement, which in and of itself, is not even correctly stated as future, but "was (even before the foundation of the world), and is, and is to come."

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are looking at man's understanding of the mechanics of time as we now perceive it to be--but that is not what God has done.

God has rather made manifest a storyline called history (His story) to reveal all, all the good and all the evil, meaning what people correctly believe and also what people incorrectly believe. Which is to say, first of all, that there is nothing factual about any of it, but rather it is God who is timeless who is factual, and this is a mere creation...or as it is written of the creation of man, an "image." Only. As such then, there exists within this image both what God has stated and some believe regarding time as though the world has existed for "thousands" of years, but also the image of what those who do not believe God believe as being "millions" or "billions" of years old. The point being that God has not created what He has created except for the purpose of revealing all things before the judgement, "that the man of sin should be revealed."

That is a good question, and one that ought to lead to a dead end and therefore a change of perspective. But men taking it up with men simply leaves a difference of opinion until both realize that what God has done is according to His own purpose, rather than what men have supposed. On the contrary, this is our last will and testament and evidence before the judgement, which in and of itself, is not even correctly stated as future, but "was (even before the foundation of the world), and is, and is to come."

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sun and moon didn't come into play until day 4, so no telling how long days 1, 2, and 3 were. A day is as a thousand years to the Lord and a thousand years as a day.

Reactions: Mink57

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sun and moon didn't come into play until day 4, so no telling how long days 1, 2, and 3 were. A day is as a thousand years to the Lord and a thousand years as a day.
Days 1, 2, and 3 are the same length of 24 hour-day of 7 days creation.
Already in Genesis 1:1 God said, "In the beginning" that is in the beginning of the first day, God began to show us how He created the universe in 7 days.

Jesus said in John 11:9-10:
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus here is definitely confirming that there are 24-hour in a day as we have them today. No more speculating!

To God Be The Glory

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Already in Genesis 1:1 God said, "In the beginning" that is in the beginning of the first day, God began to show us how He created the universe in 7 days.

9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus here is definitely confirming that there are 24-hour in a day as we have them today. No more speculating!

To God Be The Glory

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
"In the beginning" preceded the 1st day on which light was created.

And yes, there are 24hrs/day, which measurement criteria commenced on day 4. You can only assume days 1 thru 3 were measured similarly, but it's not definitive since the sun and moon were placed in the heavens
"to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:"

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How likely was the first day a 24-hour period?​

How likely is it that those considering themselves informed, informed?