How may I do good works in Christ's name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without knowing your lifestyle I don't know how anyone can answer. I don't think of doing good works in Christ's name, I think of serving Him, for His glory. Maybe it is just semantics, I don't know.

Have you looked around seeing needs, do you belong to a local church asking for volunteers for different needs?

Volunteer for things, see how you do, I've done things and now know it is not my thing, other things work better for me. I have a volunteer job I work at each week, when I get home my DH asks if it was fun, it is never fun, it is work, but it is fulfilling as I serve him, knowing He wants me there, knowing I share His message of hope. I am confident it is a fit for me.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Jesus' commandments are:

• Believe in Christ
[The people] said to [Jesus], 'What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?' Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe into him whom he has sent.' John 6:28-29

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord [by faith], so walk in him [by faith]. Colossians 2:6

• Love your neighbor as yourself

A new commandment I give to you: that you love one another. As I have loved you, also you love one another. John 13:34

This is [GOD's] commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keeps his commandments dwells in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us. 1 John 3:23-24

For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit murder, you shall not steal, you shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are summed up in this statement: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does not commit evil against a neighbor, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:9-10

Therefore all things whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

That's how simple it really is.

What are the great commandments of Moses' law?

• Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matthew 22:36-40

What does it mean to love GOD with all the heart, soul, and mind?
  • For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 John 5:3
  • If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15
  • He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. John 14:21

And what are GOD's commandments?
  • This is [GOD's] commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 1 John 3:23

Reactions: justaname and aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are totally right, CRFTD,

Our endless discussions about doctrine, often complicates a very simple message.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
How about acting like the sheep in the Messiah's parable of the sheep and goats ( Matthew 25:31-46 )?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
By allowing God to use you as His instrument to carry out His Will.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Dodo_David said:
How about acting like the sheep in the Messiah's parable of the sheep and goats ( Matthew 25:31-46 )?

And those sheep got saved? Why? Because they were doing God's will (Matthew 7:21).

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Dodo_David, on 30 Jul 2013 - 5:46 PM, said:
Dodo_David said:
Selene said:
And those sheep got saved? Why? Because they were doing God's will (Matthew 7:21).
Actually, those sheep did God's will because they were God's sheep. What they did was the result of their saving faith.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
if a person has faith that Jesus is their only savior from their sins. They stand in Christ's perfect record of obeying Gods will.

and even there eating or drinking will be seen as a good work by God . they would be keeping up Gods temple.

God also provides many other good works that they do,, many OF THESE GOOD works with out even knowing they are doing it Ephesians 8:10..

"we are saved by faith in Christ alone but faith in Christ is never alone its always accompanied by works "-----------Martin Luther

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Dodo_David said:
Dodo_David, on 30 Jul 2013 - 5:46 PM, said:

Actually, those sheep did God's will because they were God's sheep. What they did was the result of their saving faith.
We are saved by Grace. Faith is a gift from God, which the goats refused to take. The sheep accepted God's gift.

Blue Lanai

Jul 29, 2013
@Soupy:

S: "Without knowing your lifestyle I don't know how anyone can answer. I don't think of doing good works in Christ's name, I think of serving Him, for His glory. Maybe it is just semantics, I don't know."

Sounds like we're talking about the same thing (so it is semantics). ;)

S: "Have you looked around seeing needs, do you belong to a local church asking for volunteers for different needs?"

That's a good idea. Currently I do volunteer work at a hospice, though not in a Christian capacity (it's a secular hospice). However, I'm sure there are many needs in local community that I could be instrumental in addressing. I'm currently trying to find a church that works for me; I'm narrowing it down to either Nazarene, Quaker, or Anglican... Once I do, I will most certainly see what kind of volunteer work is available. -- Thanks for the suggestion, Soupy.

@CRFTD & aspen2:

I agree wholeheartedly: there is a simple message that Christ taught and it is that which I wish to follow.

And (not 'but') I am interested in what practical tools you two (and others reading this) use in faciliate Loving Our Neighbors as Ourselves. In other words, what are some real-world applications that you use?

Thanks for your replies and your time.

@CRFTD: I really appreciate you quoting scripture; it's very helpful to me. Thank you. :)

@Seline: That's the real trick, isn't it? ;)

I've found that turning over my will to God's will is something I have to renew and practice on a daily basis. Some days I feel really immersed in God's will and other days, I feel distant from God. Of course, a good friend of mine said, "When you feel seperated from God, ask youself: which one of you moved?" ;)

@horsecamp:

H: "and even there eating or drinking will be seen as a good work by God . they would be keeping up Gods temple."

Interesting perspective. Could you elaborate on this?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUBtaXHIhI

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
oops on my post about this topic the bible passage should have been Ephesians 2:10

sorry about that.. :rolleyes:

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Perhaps we have put more faith in fleshly works instead of works of faith. Martha thought to wait on others hand and foot was the works they were to do... but Mary understood to humble herself to the Word and learn from his example was more important and Jesus commended her for her choosing the best thing.
You never seen Jesus doing other men's work nor handing out physical needs with the exception of receiving a thanksgiving offering for the spiritual meal he had just fed the 4,000 & 5,000 first, Then the Father multiplied it. Nor did we ever see Jesus buying or begging people to come to God.

John 10:32
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
KJV
John 5:36
36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
KJV
Matt 13:54-58
54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
KJV

John 14:11-12
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
KJV

Selene said:
By allowing God to use you as His instrument to carry out His Will.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

The will of God is know what to do in every situation in life we come to and that is known by being knowledgeable of His Word for the Bible is His Will and testament.

Jane_doe

Aug 10, 2013
USA
Blue Lanai said:
Asking your opinions. Thank you in advance for your replies.
I believe a good work is done in Christ's Name when a baptized Catholic perfoms a work for love of God.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

I like the response given by CRFTD a lot. We are of the same mind in this matter. While in prayer before I became a Christian feverishly asking God for His will in my life He told me in an audible voice "Trust the Son" After putting my faith in Him, again desperately seeking His will I heard a voice again say "Love" This was the only time I ever heard Him, and when I started digging into His word I found it totally aligned with what I heard. I truly believe it was Him that spoke to me. I have lived a life of abandonment since then, completely dedicated to Christ.

Love is the command, yet you are looking for application. From the Ephesians passage you can see the good works are going to come into your life because God purposes them.

What I have experienced in my own life is when I go out of my way looking to do "good works" I come out feeling empty. It is like I am shouting "Look at me! I am doing good for others." Pride wants to step in, and I feel it is not what God is purposing, rather it is me purposing it. When I simply make myself available, God places situations before me and He works through me. In this I feel fulfilled. It is like I am that instrument being played by a soloist in an amazing score! When that solo part is over I blend back in with the rest of the orchestra.

How do I make myself available? Love in humility is the answer and attitude. Kindness, compassion, mercy, empathy, justice, patients, charity. In the summery of one word agape'. Constantly looking for the highest good of others. Agape' is a decision, an action, a lifestyle. Love is much more than emotion, in fact love sometimes goes against our emotions like in the case of forgiveness.

Philippians 2:3-5
3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

The situations happen every day, we need not seek them out, we need only to respond accordingly. Sometimes it is simple as a smile or a kind word. Other times God may put things more challenging in your path. If agape' is the response God will be glorified and you will know what you did was for the right reasons.

Another strong often over looked tool we have for good works is prayer. Sometimes this is the only action we can take, to pray for someone. Often I pray for the lost, for the needy, for the sick, for the poor, for those inside the church as well as for those outside the church.

penguy83

May 18, 2013
West Virginia, USA
I've always thought of it as it takes God speaking to your heart before anything you do will be successful; a calling perhaps. As you may know not everyone is called to do the same thing. One person might have a knack for speaking and will find that God calls him to speak on the streetcorner. Another might be skilled at writing, so he might be called to write a book.