How to read the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ALightbulb

Feb 23, 2012
Hello! I'm not sure where to post this question, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I am reading my Bible daily. I've been reading mainly in the NT (John, Matthew, Romans, Philippians) and I'm a little over halfway through Psalms right now. I just started on Proverbs. But I never know where I should be reading, or what to read when I finish a book. Any suggestions? Thanks!

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why do you need someone to tell you what you just read? When you read a book like "Moby Dick" do you need to read another book to explain it to you?
IF you do need to read another book, then maybe you should state your denomination, so that the people who belong to that denomination could tell you what book(s) to read.
Read the Bible any way that you like.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems like you got it so far there is no wrong or right books of the bible to read the New Testament is easier but don't froget the Old when you learn the New. The Old Testament will help understand the New testament more.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
book of Ruth. then maybe Deuteronomy... book of job is great (that's where I first remember thinking the bible was a pretty good book)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I used to read the bible through in a year using a daily bible reading planner. I have read through the bible many times using this method and there's some great bible study tools available on-line. Here are some examples;

Biblestudytools.com
Bible Reading Plan - Read the bible in a year
http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/

Gateway.com
Bible reading plans walk you through the entire Bible over the course of a year. Reading through the Bible is a rewarding experience, and these plans can help you do it!
http://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/?version=NIV

YouVersion.com
Bible Reading Plans
The One Year ® BibleExperience the insights and joy gained from reading the entire Bible. You can do it in as little as 15 minutes a day with The One Year ® Bible, the world's most popular annual reading Bible. Daily readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs will guide you through God's Word in one year.
https://www.youversion.com/reading-plans/60-the-one-year-bible

Bless ya! :)

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy reading the Bible in chronological order. If you haven't read all the NT, read that first, it will give you an overview of Christianity. I also enjoy reading all of Paul's writings together.
The OT will give you great insight in the NT.

The chronological plan places Proverbs in with other writings, giving me better insight in Proverbs.

Enjoy the dig.

John S - The OP asked how best to read his Bible.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do not read Jeremiah straight through - it is chronologically out of order

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
ALightbulb said:
Hello! I'm not sure where to post this question, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I am reading my Bible daily. I've been reading mainly in the NT (John, Matthew, Romans, Philippians) and I'm a little over halfway through Psalms right now. I just started on Proverbs. But I never know where I should be reading, or what to read when I finish a book. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I have done it differently than most ..... I only read what I am interested in

A lot of the bible is just plain boring and torturous to read ..... but topics you are interested in you will soak up like a sponge.

Some good student bibles have an extra index which tells you where to find info on angels .... marriage .... baptism .... spirit .... or whatever you happen to be interested in at the time.

A concordance is helpful for finding all the places certain things are mentioned

i also found the book BASIC THEOLOGY by Charles Ryrie very helpful to categorize all the topics and where to find them in the bible.

It is amazing how eagerly our minds absorb information we are curious about and interested in.

Whereas to "force yourself" to read boring stuff makes eyes glaze over and brains tired.

Best wishes in your reading.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
I think it would be best if you read and mastered the Gospels first, the books of Mark,matthew,Luke,and John in that order,then move on to the book of acts.this will provide you with a foundation.then after that you can advance to the books of Genesisand exodus,Try not to waste to much time on the prophetic books because they are outdated,with the exeption of maybe Daniel,revelations,and isiah.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
1. Old Testament is the stories about how God raised up a people to be called his own. Read these books to understand more about God's love, his promises, how he deals with people and the way people respond to him.

2. In the New Testament the four Gospels is about Jesus coming to his chosen people as their Messiah. How many of the religious sects rejected him and in doing so would bring about judgment in their generation. Also speaks of his disciples and how they would eventually spread the gospel to the people of their world (Roman Empire).

The epistles are about the spreading of God's word by setting up churches all through the Roman Empire.

The book of Revelation is actually the Revelation of Jesus Christ. It speaks to the churches of that time about his coming in judgment against the Jews that rejected him.

By reading the entire bible one will understand that the books and the stories were written prior to and totally fulfilled in 70 AD with the destruction of the Old Covenant and the establishment of the New Covenant.

Where the Old pertained only to the Jews, the New pertains to whosoever will.

None of the bible is written to any other generation except to those each book was addressed to. The first few scriptures in each book will make note as to who that was. It has been passed on to give us understanding. In order to get that understanding requires one to pray and certainly being born again will greatly increase that understanding.

afishamongmany

Jun 18, 2013
mid west France
Hello ALightbulb,
For many years now I have been starting at Genesis going through to Revelations and then doing the same again. I recommend it as a base discipline for growing up in Christ. I'm not talking about a rigid, grit your teeth, must do grind. Each day a paragraph, a chapter, three or four chapters, exceptionally a whole book, whatever, according to the circumstances and The Spirit's leading. The main thing is get the habit.
"The judgments of The Lord .... more to be desired are they than gold, ...... sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb." Psalm19:1

But that should just be the base. Studying particular portions or topics, or just "wanting" to read here or there should not be instead of a daily read but on top of that base.
Every book is profitable for us and each one has its particular purpose, in each one there are treasures and nourishment and, most importantly, the revelation of God Himself. Even the sequence of the books gives us insight into His character (Psalms after Job, the King-Servant-Man-God of the four gospels).
Do you already know the, hand grasping the sword, picture of how to "handle" The Bible? The four fingers, hear-read- study-memorize, the thumb, meditate.
"ALL Scripture is profitable" 2Timothy 3:16
Go well
><>

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
John S said:
Why do you need someone to tell you what you just read? When you read a book like "Moby Dick" do you need to read another book to explain it to you?
IF you do need to read another book, then maybe you should state your denomination, so that the people who belong to that denomination could tell you what book(s) to read.
Read the Bible any way that you like.
my denomination would at the very least want him to read the bible in context .we would not want him to read the verse judas went out and hanged himself and then read A verse that SAYS GO .AND DO LIKE WISE..