How were intentional sins forgiven in the OT?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Technically speaking, sin offerings were for unintentional sins only. So how were intentional sins forgiven in the OT?

BSB Psalm 51:

For the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. When Nathan the prophet came to him after his adultery with Bathsheba.
The psalm title identified the intentional sin occasion of adultery.

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your loving devotion; according to Your great compassion, blot out my transgressions.
David begged for mercy.

2 Wash me clean of my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You may be proved right when You speak and blameless when You judge.
David confessed and trusted in God's forgiveness.

7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
9Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquities.
David praised God.

15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise.
Two kinds of sacrifices:

16 For You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You take no pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
external kind and internal kind.

Both kinds had to be done in a righteous manner.

19 Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices, in whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Your altar.

The sinner needed to humble himself before God. He confessed his sins. Begged for God's mercy and forgiveness with a repentant and contrite heart. Praised God for his cleansing. Lastly, offered a righteous sacrifice on the altar.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Technically speaking, sin offerings were for unintentional sins only. So how were intentional sins forgiven in the OT?

BSB Psalm 51:

The psalm title identified the intentional sin occasion of adultery.

David begged for mercy.

David confessed and trusted in God's forgiveness.

David praised God.

Two kinds of sacrifices:

external kind and internal kind.

Both kinds had to be done in a righteous manner.

The sinner needed to humble himself before God. He confessed his sins. Begged for God's mercy and forgiveness with a repentant and contrite heart. Praised God for his cleansing. Lastly, offered a righteous sacrifice on the altar.
I don't think anything changed from one Testament to the other.

• Wow
Reactions: Nancy