Did God's accepting human sacrifices ever occur in God's mind?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jeremiah 7:

31 They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.
It never occurred in God's mind that people should sacrifice their sons or daughters.

But then, God said to Abraham in Genesis 22:

2b "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."
God said that to test Abraham, and the incident provided a type for Jesus' sacrifice many centuries later.

After Abraham passed the test, God provided an alternative:

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.
Right from the beginning, God intended to provide a substitute sacrifice. It never occurred to God that he should receive Isaac as a human sacrifice.

There was one exceptional case. God did expect his one and only Son, Jesus, to be sacrificed for our sins. Romans 8:

32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all.

Reactions: Randy Kluth