How would you describe your own prayer life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rmoore1021

Jan 21, 2012

How would someone else describe it if they walked with you 24 hours a day? What 3 or 4 ways you can endeavor to increase the frequency & consistency of your prayer life.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray on a regular schedule and spontaneously.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Need to pray always and often to Him. All the time, everytime and let Him answer in His will and way.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
How would someone else describe it if they walked with you 24 hours a day? What 3 or 4 ways you can endeavor to increase the frequency & consistency of your prayer life.

Nobody's business except our Heavenly Father and the one praying to Him.

Matt 6:5-8
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father Which is in secret; and thy Father Which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him.
(KJV)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get the gist of what you're saying Veteran, but I don't view the OP's question in that manner.

My prayer is anemic. I struggle with remembering to do it beyond a haphazard silent prayer prior to falling asleep. I've had my moments and connections with God where I all but felt his presence, but I tend to simply forget and try to deal with the situation myself. Prayer becomes an afterthought. Sometimes I even find myself praying after the event has happened for the event to be different or changed if that makes sense. The cynic in me wants to deride that, but I believe God listens to those.

In regards to the above (from Veteran's post), I'd hazard to say it's not so much about seeing the prayer part as it is how we function in life. I think you can tell the difference of a strong-in-prayer person by how they handle things. They aren't rattled when crazy stuff we call life happens and there is the sense about them - I believe testifying of the Holy Spirit. Prayer takes patience. It takes total acknowledgement that you may or may not be able to do something about what you're praying about, but it acknowledges a total reliance and focus on God.

I'm often reminded of Paul's use of the term mystery when I hear these verses:

Romans 8:26-27
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

I do think we can pray without exactly tending to based on that statement. The Apostle Paul refers to praying without ceasing for various peoples and churches. I don't believe that Paul jumped into a closet for 24-48 hours and prayed on his knees. I think most of the time we wouldn't know he was praying by expressions, postures, and activities so much as we would know he was praying by his confidence. Think about what he went through and how that confidence (which we sometimes all feel borders on arrogance) rests upon him. That, to me, is the Holy Spirit and our guide to be in tune with God in life.

I'm nowhere near that standard. In some ways, I'm getting better, but it's a long road and one that I will continue to struggle with.

rmoore1021

Jan 21, 2012
[sup][sup]Consider how much Jesus depended on prayer. Jesus prayed not only to set an example but also to teach us that even the Son of God needed to be connected through prayer to God. It was obvious that unless He had spent time with the Father, He could not be effective in ministry.[/sup][/sup]

I NEED TO PRAY for wisdom, understanding, change in my life and when I miss a day or i'm not consistent I rember Romans 8:1 and start over

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[sup][sup]Consider how much Jesus depended on prayer. Jesus prayed not only to set an example but also to teach us that even the Son of God needed to be connected through prayer to God. It was obvious that unless He had spent time with the Father, He could not be effective in ministry.[/sup][/sup]

I NEED TO PRAY for wisdom, understanding, change in my life and when I miss a day or i'm not consistent I rember Romans 8:1 and start over

SPEAK UP!!

The best way to pray is prepare for it.

I often exercise for ten minutes before prayer - it quiets my thoughts, yet alerts my mind. Anxiety is the enemy of prayer, no wonder Jesus tells us not to worry!