How's the best way to follow Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a question! I love it. I will ponder this very much for some time - no one has ever asked me this -- wonderful.

With all I know from all the verses and directions - what is the best way, imho, to follow Christ...
Again - I could surely quote a scripture quickly - but you know all those scripture verses as well as all of us --we can so easily say - to love thy neighbor, to follow his commandment to love, to give to the less fortunate bec we give to Him, to spread the Good News and make disciples of all the nations...etc....but you have asked - How is the best way to follow Christ. I read that as "What is" would you allow that?

I believe you have asked this to encourage us to go deeper in ourselves not spout out some scripture verse and number. Is that correct? I will take this to heart and get back.

:) Miss Hepburn

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Without using any scripture and just giving you my personal opinion, I would say that the best way to follow after Christ is to allow yourself to be humbled before Him. Come to Christ as a child would come to their parents for food with complete trust that it will be provided. God only gets glory out of people that depend on Christ so he can reveal his love, grace and mercy towards the sinner. The best way of doing that is to just humble yourself daily.

To be humble, you must die to yourself. You must die to any self effort meaning, don't try to be self righteous. Realize that it's only through Christ that you can be delivered and freed from any sin/s that you once were involved in prior to accepting Christ as Lord and savior.

Basically, the best way anyone can follow after Christ is to come to Christ completely broken of self effort or pride. Christ will provide everything we need through our walk with Him. He will literally change us slowly through the course of our lives into his image. Will we be perfect? No, but we will grow in faith and love and the laws will be written on our hearts. All these things come from Christ and not of ourselves. Following Christ isn't some self effort...it's Christ laying desires and passions on our hearts that causes us to want to spread the gospel and to want get involved in missionairy activities and most importantly reflect Him in every thought and deed.

However, I will add just one line of scripture because it goes with what I am trying to say here.
Matt 5:3 - Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Hope this has helped answer your question. I was vague in answering it but if you want I can go into detail with scripture to show you what the bible says about following after Christ.

If you look at guys like Paul in the NT, you get a really good idea of what it means to follow after Christ. To him dieing was gain and he was only concerned with Christ getting glory out of his life. ;D

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jimmy Engle said:
Without using any scripture and just giving you my personal opinion, I would say that the best way to follow after Christ is to allow yourself to be humbled before Him. Come to Christ as a child would come to their parents for food with complete trust that it will be provided. God only gets glory out of people that depend on Christ so he can reveal his love, grace and mercy towards the sinner. The best way of doing that is to just humble yourself daily.

To be humble, you must die to yourself. You must die to any self effort meaning, don't try to be self righteous. Realize that it's only through Christ that you can be delivered and freed from any sin/s that you once were involved in prior to accepting Christ as Lord and savior.

Basically, the best way anyone can follow after Christ is to come to Christ completely broken of self effort or pride. Christ will provide everything we need through our walk with Him. He will literally change us slowly through the course of our lives into his image. Will we be perfect? No, but we will grow in faith and love and the laws will be written on our hearts. All these things come from Christ and not of ourselves. Following Christ isn't some self effort...it's Christ laying desires and passions on our hearts that causes us to want to spread the gospel and to want get involved in missionairy activities and most importantly reflect Him in every thought and deed.

However, I will add just one line of scripture because it goes with what I am trying to say here.
Matt 5:3 - Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Hope this has helped answer your question. I was vague in answering it but if you want I can go into detail with scripture to show you what the bible says about following after Christ.

If you look at guys like Paul in the NT, you get a really good idea of what it means to follow after Christ. To him dying was gain and he was only concerned with Christ getting glory out of his life. ;D

What he said.

!!!!!

I just had to correct "dying"...

( My favorite sentence...God only gets glory out of people that depend on Christ so he can reveal his love, grace and mercy towards the sinner.)

:)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me begin by saying I think the "best" way may be a bit conditional for some people. There's simply no set formula on exactly how to do everything, God might lead us down a different path than the next Christian in the room. Remember that Christ was perfect, something that none of the rest of us can claim. I'll be the first in line to say I am certainly not, and I think many of you've been able to see that with how I've handled this forum in the past.

To start from the earthly beginning for us as it were, obviously you have to first believe in Christ (John 3:16), and this is where true wisdom begins (Proverbs 1:7). To me this is the milk level (I Peter 2:2, Hebrews 5:12-13). You begin with an overwhelming desire to learn more, though honestly you find yourself overwhelmed. I think we are establishing ourselves in the faith and looking to branch out. Every Christian is at least at this point, and we acquire that peace (Mark 12:33).

We are told that we are not only to follow Christ, but to strive to be like Him (II Corinthians 3:18). What is a Christian but a Christ-man (gender neutral)?

As Jimmy said the best way to come to more understanding is to approach God with humility (Proverbs 15:33), which comes before honor. This is very important beloved, because it is indeed "the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter" (Proverbs 25:2). We have nothing, outside of God, with which we will bestow more earthly honor than a good king or leader. We are blessed to be able to partake in this, and it's not limited to anyone. Frankly it will never matter how many languages you know, Bibles you have, or degrees you own as to how far you ultimately get with wisdom. (That's not to take away from study, for such knowledge can certainly help augment what we know, and the Holy Spirit can and will certainly put it to good use.)

So, how do we approach this with humility? II Timothy 2:15 is a great start. We must acknowledge that we don't really know a whole lot at base; we need the assistance of the Holy Spirit and God's written word to begin to understand as best we can. We have to ask God (James 1:5) and then liberally share what God blesses us to acquire (Colossians 1:28). The idea is to approach God in the role of a child (Matthew 18:4) as we listen to our Father and put what He has taught us to good use.

I'm studying the good book of Matthew lately, and I am struck with how many times is says that Jesus had compassion. That is an example of our Lord, he had emotions like compassion in abundance. He even had it on the cross for the people that physically crucified him.

Christ approached everything with humility, even fulfilled prophecy asserts that (12:19).

rob

Sep 2, 2009
The best way to follow Jesus Christ is to enjoy Him. How do we enjoy him?
When we invite someone to our home, my wife loves to cook a beautiful meal for them! Why?
Because she wants them to enjoy what they eat.
The more we feast on Jesus Christ, the more we enjoy Him! (John 6:48) Jesus said: "I am the bread of life".

The more we feast on Jesus Christ the more we become constituted with His life and nature.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
I have my forty-one niece living with me at the present who is a recovering drug addict and has pretty much ruined here life but has an awesome heart for Jesus and really loves the Lord and is doing awesome. She is a babe spiritually speaking but my sister who is a spirit filled church believer who also really loves the lord has emotionally and spiritually attacked my niece as well as her brother their whole lives. I did not know how bad it was until a visit this last summer to there home where this got so out of control in my presence.

I immediately told my niece she was coming home with me and my wife and she has lived with us since this summer and has been nothing but a blessing

Back to my sister. I had to make some visits to my sister’s house to get details worked out to get my niece coming to my home. But the anger and attacked from my sister continued and Christian husband are so un-Christ like where it really matters.

On the surface my sister is a saint, and appears to be the perfect believer but deep down it is her carnal nature ruling not the peace of Jesus. Reminds me of the Jews during Jesus day who prayed in the streets to become notice by others for there loud public prayers. My sister cannot turn the other cheek, for this reason she has limited her spiritual growth and is not in the will of God for her anger is her god.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
I'm seeing different perspectives and approaches, from the -for the lack of a better word- philosophical, to direct experience. For my, I'm going to add one verse

James 1:27

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Benoni said:
I have my forty-one niece living with me at the present who is a recovering drug addict and has pretty much ruined here life but has an awesome heart for Jesus and really loves the Lord and is doing awesome. She is a babe spiritually speaking but my sister who is a spirit filled church believer who also really loves the lord has emotionally and spiritually attacked my niece as well as her brother their whole lives. I did not know how bad it was until a visit this last summer to there home where this got so out of control in my presence.
I immediately told my niece she was coming home with me and my wife and she has lived with us since this summer and has been nothing but a blessing
Back to my sister. I had to make some visits to my sister’s house to get details worked out to get my niece coming to my home. But the anger and attacked from my sister continued and Christian husband are so un-Christ like where it really matters.
On the surface my sister is a saint, and appears to be the perfect believer but deep down it is her carnal nature ruling not the peace of Jesus. Reminds me of the Jews during Jesus day who prayed in the streets to become notice by others for there loud public prayers. My sister cannot turn the other cheek, for this reason she has limited her spiritual growth and is not in the will of God for her anger is her god.

What a story -families... don't ya love 'em. So sorry about your sis and her husband not being Christ-like -what a shame. So wonderful you are there for your niece.
Don't know what Dp means, btw.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kestrel said:
I'm seeing different perspectives and approaches, from the -for the lack of a better word- philosophical, to direct experience. For me, I'm going to add one verse.
James 1:27

Excellent to be reminded of that. :)

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
kestrel said:
Just an open question, without second thoughts or issues
Jesus began his ministry by demanding to be baptised then he prayed for the anointing, the Holy Spirit, God gave independant witness to this with a voice being heard declaring him to be the son of God.

The disciples and those they were sent to were baptised unto Jesus and when they received the Spirit God bare independant witness with the sign of speaking in tongues.

"because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father." (Gal.4:6, Romans 8:15-16)

No-one should expect or accept any different!

"as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you." (John 20:21)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really thought He started His ministry when He emerged from the wilderness after 40 days.
But, I'm new at this.

At first I had a reaction to the word demanded -but, I guess John was a hard one to convince at first. - so I guess Jesus really did demand to be baptised.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know - the best way to follow Jesus now would really have to be given much thought - since He is at the right hand of the Father now. And has already saved us and asked us to tell others.
So, I guess to tell others - and to tailor the presentation to each individual - to be sure to not turn them off to Jesus ----most people I know can't stand Christians ---then they lump the NT, Jesus, pushy Christians and God in one lump --and walk away in disgust from all of them!!!

I'd say it takes preparation and sensitivity to follow Jesus today. Alot because of the damage that has been done already - by the Catholic schools, priests in the news for deviant sex, unkind Christians with plackards at homosexual events, fat pastors on TV asking for money and screaming about the end of the world ---all turn offs for most people to want to have anything to do with "following Jesus" or any good news about Him.

My thoughts...:) Miss Hepburn

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Miss Hepburn said:
I really thought He started His ministry when He emerged from the wilderness after 40 days.
But, I'm new at this.
True, he didn't minister to anyone else until after he returned from his time of seeking his Father in the wilderness.
Though Jesus of Nazareth became Jesus the Christ when he was anointed.
We do not become Christ-ians until we receive that anointing.

Miss Hepburn said:
At first I had a reaction to the word demanded -but, I guess John was a hard one to convince at first. - so I guess Jesus really did demand to be baptised.
Later Peter "commands" people to be baptised (Acts 2:38, 10:48), there are some people in my town who teach "it's a good idea".

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kestrel said:
Just an open question, without second thoughts or issues

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Mat 16:25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

So “to carry the cross” is a figurative expression, denoting that we must endure whatever is burdensome, or is trying, or is considered disgraceful, in following Christ. It consists simply in doing our duty, let the people of the world think of it or speak of it as they may. It does not consist in making trouble for ourselves, or doing things merely “to be opposed;” it is doing just what is required of us in the Scriptures, let it produce whatever shame, disgrace, or pain it may. This every follower of Jesus is required to do. -Jamieson, Fausset and Brown