Humility

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility is one of the strangest things, if not the strangest.

When a man is in no way being humble, he can't see that it is so.

And when others can see that he is very humble, he still can't see that it is so.

One man is too high to see it. The other man is too low to see it. Its almost as if he decides to just stay where he is for fear that if he stands up, he will fall again...

D

Dave L

And when others can see that he is very humble, he still can't see that it is so.

One man is too high to see it. The other man is too low to see it. Its almost as if he decides to just stay where he is for fear that if he stands up, he will fall again...
Acting humble is hypocrisy. God crushes us and destroys our egos by his presence in our hearts.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acting humble is hypocrisy. God crushes us and destroys our egos by his presence in our hearts.

His presence in my heart never worked to bring me the tiniest iota of humility. In my case, it seemed to do the exact opposite. He was only able to open my eyes and shut my mouth by letting me have atrocious tumbles. A giant crash and burn is the way He gets me to see I was never humble but only imagined I was. And it still doesn't make me humble. It just makes me able to see the truth that I am not.

It is very strange. That because of an increase of goods, my heart gets even prouder. It's too strange to understand. You almost think you should pray, Lord please don't increase my goods but take them from me because you see the evil I do with them and that I can't be trusted with them...

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Humility sees in a greater context. The proud man only sees himself in every context.

A Christian...who knows God...is the humblest person of all. Since he is a constant awareness of the immensity of God. But we can become smug even in our knowledge of God. So we can't become too familiar with what God is doing through us. Grace is (or can be) deceitful.

But there are many religious people that have no relationship to God other than what is made up in their imaginations and theories. Such people tend to not be humble at all...valuing their own opinions above the bible itself.

D

Dave L

His presence in my heart never worked to bring me the tiniest iota of humility. In my case, it seemed to do the exact opposite. He was only able to open my eyes and shut my mouth by letting me have atrocious tumbles. A giant crash and burn is the way He gets me to see I was never humble but only imagined I was. And it still doesn't make me humble. It just makes me able to see the truth that I am not.

It is very strange. That because of an increase of goods, my heart gets even prouder. It's too strange to understand. You almost think you should pray, Lord please don't increase my goods but take them from me because you see the evil I do with them and that I can't be trusted with them...
I immediately knew how worthless I am and that will keep you humble.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility sees in a greater context. The proud man only sees himself in every context.

A Christian...who knows God...is the humblest person of all. Since he is a constant awareness of the immensity of God. But we can become smug even in our knowledge of God. So we can't become too familiar with what God is doing through us. Grace is (or can be) deceitful.

But there are many religious people that have no relationship to God other than what is made up in their imaginations and theories. Such people tend to not be humble at all...valuing their own opinions above the bible itself.

That we can't become too familiar with what God is doing in us and through us...I see that. I'm too precocious concerning it quite often. Like a man a surgeon puts in a deep sleep to tinker with his insides but the man keeps waking up and wanting to see what the surgeon is doing. (And give his own suggestions. :rolleyes:)

It reminds me of John of the Cross and his poem...about how he stole forth in darkness, his house now being at rest, and he says about it - oh happy chance!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What many people refuse to realize when they have received the gift of the Holy Ghost is they still need to taught, to be led and to submit. The Holy Ghost makes that a possibility... not an already accomplished fact. It comes back as it often does to these words of Jesus:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

People born in the United States are already ahead of most people living in most other countries simply because of their citizenship and the rights they do have... however eroded they are. We have been given more, so God really does expect and require more. Simply stated, "much is given, much is required".

How can a rich man be humble? This is often applied to the materially rich man, but the application of it to the spiritually rich cannot be neglected... To neglect it will as I understand it move us away from the strait and narrow gate to the wide one wherein lies destruction...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ha! I have been wanting to start a thread on Humility! I'm glad you got to it first, as your OP is awesome. Gonna read the reply's and reply myself :)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"It is very strange. That because of an increase of goods, my heart gets even prouder. It's too strange to understand. You almost think you should pray, Lord please don't increase my goods but take them from me because you see the evil I do with them and that I can't be trusted with them...[/QUOTE]"

For the last 4 years, I have prayed to become less selfish with my bounty, and to become a good steward of my money, goods, time... I always felt guilty for having so much more than like, 99% of the worlds population! Then, I heard in my spirit that I should not feel guilty but grateful. Since then, my bills have been paid off...I have no debt, credit score is up there and, I find I WANT to share these things that He has blessed me with! I was so selfish for most of my life...He and ONLY He has turned that on it's head ♥

"When a man is in no way being humble, he can't see that it is so.

And when others can see that he is very humble, he still can't see that it is so."

Profound, thought provoking and oh so human, lol.
Good Thread SBG!

B

Butterfly

I think people living in All the western world have more than the rest of the world, due to materialism - remember the UK is older than than the USA.
When you think back to our own history in the UK, we took from so many countries, but by bit our power has diminished, and we were deemed a Christian country, much like the US.
Materialism is a difficult thing to get the right balance with, I find it hard when I see homeless people - compared to them I am rich, but I am not sure I could handle being really wealthy - I am grateful for the blessings I have been given, but even knowing that my mobile phone and iPad comes at the cost of young children mining for something needed to make them causes dilemmas. As Christians should we use them, have them. Clothes often come from very poor areas, working in extreme environments , it provides an income- but our needs come at a price to others.
The bible tells us that it will be harder for a rich man to come to faith, which implies that it will come with a price - and yet all of us are rich compared to many people in biblical times.
People who have less seem to be more grateful for the very things many of us take for granted - we have got so use to ' having ' things that make our lives easier.
Look at all the paper / wood we use, which destroys trees - look at the destruction of the rain forrests - all for the demands from richer countries.
Look at all the pollution, we are destroying the very things that God gave us to look after - I think the western world will have much to answer for.........
Have we been good stewards ?
Are there levels of humility ?
Rita

B

Butterfly

Sorry , you are talking about a different kind of humility - I guess humility does have many levels- answered my own question!! Lol

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Two verses that have always stood out on humility:

1)Colossians 2:18
[18] Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Voluntary humility is possible and another word to consider there is “intruding” into those things he has not seen...

2) this has been on my mind often lately: 2 Corinthians 12:21
[21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Not Paul but God will humble him.

I’m sure there is more just can’t think of them right now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sorry , you are talking about a different kind of humility - I guess humility does have many levels- answered my own question!! Lol
I think the Philippians 2 passage about the Lord Jesus humbling Himself and becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross, is so searching.

B

Butterfly

I think the Philippians 2 passage about the Lord Jesus humbling Himself and becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross, is so searching.
And your point in quoting this post of mine Farouk- it seems that you often quote a person in order to draw them back to the thread, without really explaining why you have quoted that particular post.
I am aware of the ' other kinds ' of humility - Jesus's humility was not as straightforward, in the garden of gethsemane he showed that it was a struggle as the time grew nearer - he asked for the cup to be taken away, but equally desired to do Gods will, but he showed the human struggle on an emotional level , So would you agree that we sometimes battle with our humanity ?
So I find the garden of gethsemane more searching because Jesus was real -
Rita

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And your point in quoting this post of mine Farouk- it seems that you often quote a person in order to draw them back to the thread, without really explaining why you have quoted that particular post.
I am aware of the ' other kinds ' of humility - Jesus's humility was not as straightforward, in the garden of gethsemane he showed that it was a struggle as the time grew nearer - he asked for the cup to be taken away, but equally desired to do Gods will, but he showed the human struggle on an emotional level , So would you agree that we sometimes battle with our humanity ?
So I find the garden of gethsemane more searching because Jesus was real -
Rita
I guess I was thinking about what is among the most searching revealed varieties of humility recorded in Scripture, as a follow on to your reference to many levels of humility.

"Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony,
Lest I forget Thy love to me,
Lead me to Calvary."

Reactions: Butterfly