Hummingbirds 101

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time to put up hummingbird feeders and to put a little research into the bird...

1. A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times a minute
2. Hummingbirds have excellent memories and can come back to the same feeders every year
3. Male hummingbirds can travel more than 1,000 miles without taking a single break.
4. Have the intelligence to build nice nests
5. Having only brains about the size of a grain of rice,

I am getting my hummingbird feeders ready now! Believing these little creatures were designed by the creative power of God!

Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? - Luke 12:24

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hummingbirds arrived at my place mid-April. I have already filled my feeder twice and am hoping for better pictures...

438848515_10230683665858356_2807630338311651518_n.jpg

Reactions: Debp

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time to put up hummingbird feeders and to put a little research into the bird...

1. A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times a minute
2. Hummingbirds have excellent memories and can come back to the same feeders every year
3. Male hummingbirds can travel more than 1,000 miles without taking a single break.
4. Have the intelligence to build nice nests
5. Having only brains about the size of a grain of rice,

I am getting my hummingbird feeders ready now! Believing these little creatures were designed by the creative power of God!

Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? - Luke 12:24

If you buy the premade nectar make sure you get the clear brands. Not those with red dye#40. It's bad for their health.

A neighbor has hummer feeders all around her yard.
At certain times of day it's mesmerizing to watch how many little ones come to feast. So delicate and beautiful.

Reactions: Debp and rockytopva

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you buy the premade nectar make sure you get the clear brands. Not those with red dye#40. It's bad for their health.

A neighbor has hummer feeders all around her yard.
At certain times of day it's mesmerizing to watch how many little ones come to feast. So delicate and beautiful.
I always make up with sugar and water. My main challenge is keeping the feeders clean, in which bugs and ants also have a liking to the feeders. Taking time to clean and fill the moat with water is my main challenge, but always worth it.
611P3XgMspL.jpg

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always make up with sugar and water. My main challenge is keeping the feeders clean, in which bugs and ants also have a liking to the feeders. Taking time to clean and fill the moat with water is my main challenge, but always worth it.
611P3XgMspL.jpg
We coat the access post holding the hummer feeders with olive oil. It makes a barrier for the ants. But in fairness to them we also make a small accessable feeder specifically for them Under a frond like bush and closet to the ground. One with water and the other with nectar. Bees like those too.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bravo!

In desert southwest, we feed them throughout the year. Four species: Anna’s, Costa’s, broad-billed, black-chinned. Females will sip together; males are territorial.

Gila woodpeckers and various finches also sip the (home-made) nectar. In the late summer and into fall, migrating nectar bats slurp away overnight, and can easily drain 10 oz. before morning.

Saw one hummingbird nabbing gnats while hovering in the air; amazing.

Any experience with a fountain? That appears to be their presence for water.

Peace and blessings.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We coat the access post holding the hummer feeders with olive oil. It makes a barrier for the ants. But in fairness to them we also make a small accessable feeder specifically for them Under a frond like bush and closet to the ground. One with water and the other with nectar. Bees like those too.
Thanks for the information. Haven’t tried olive oil, but certainly will now. In the past, “tanglefoot” worked fine for each summer.

You deliberately feed ants? Wow! (Ours must make do with the drips from the main feeder, when larger birds land.)

Blessings.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. Haven’t tried olive oil, but certainly will now. In the past, “tanglefoot” worked fine for each summer.

You deliberately feed ants? Wow! (Ours must make do with the drips from the main feeder, when larger birds land.)

Blessings.
Ants get thirsty too.

I have cats. When they leave dry catfood in their bowls overnight, I throw the leftover crumbs outside . No ants inside when they find sustenance outside.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I get all of those on my bird feeders,xx
What do you put out? Mine are filled with sunflower hearts and fat balls. We also get lots of sparrows, blue tits and great tits and the occasional bullfinch. And the robins, blackbirds, and thrushes and wrens which don't use the feeders and we had woodpeckers one year

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do you put out? Mine are filled with sunflower hearts and fat balls. We also get lots of sparrows, blue tits and great tits and the occasional bullfinch. And the robins, blackbirds, and thrushes and wrens which don't use the feeders and we had woodpeckers one year
They love nuggets, they prefer those over fat balls, I also put out sunflower hearts, premium quality....I also live next to a wooded area....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They love nuggets, they prefer those over fat balls, I also put out sunflower hearts, premium quality....I also live next to a wooded area....
We have lots of trees around on our road and in the park across from us so we get squirrels too and despite my supposedly squirrel proof feeders there are one or two intrepid acrobats amongst them.