I need answers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have really bad OCD especially with urges to make oaths i wouldn't want to be bound to. Do you think any of the oaths I've made because my mind seemingly forced them onto me against my will, or because I wanted to not make them but felt I had no choice because the urge was too strong are binding? I would like to believe God understands I'm not mentally well and doesn't hold those against me, but people will come up with all sorts of ear tickling talk to calm down or make people feel good about something they shouldn't feel good about...

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have really bad OCD especially with urges to make oaths i wouldn't want to be bound to

I think that you need to be stronger in this area.

Do not make any oaths to anyone!

“But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5:12)

“Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?” (Ecclesiastes 5:5-6)

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have really bad OCD especially with urges to make oaths i wouldn't want to be bound to. Do you think any of the oaths I've made because my mind seemingly forced them onto me against my will, or because I wanted to not make them but felt I had no choice because the urge was too strong are binding? I would like to believe God understands I'm not mentally well and doesn't hold those against me, but people will come up with all sorts of ear tickling talk to calm down or make people feel good about something they shouldn't feel good about...

Are you currently seeing a psychiatrist? If so, you should ask about Ativan. It’s a medicine used to treat anxiety and can help treat obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I don’t have OCD, but sometimes I suffer from OCD-like symptoms. For example, I’ll get intrusive thoughts in my head that don’t seem to go away. Other times I worry excessively about little tiny things that shouldn’t concern me so much. When the Ativan kicks in, these things go away; I have virtually no anxiety or intrusive thoughts. (I take 1 mg of Ativan twice a day.)

You should be cautious, though. Ativan is a benzodiazepine, so it’s addictive. It’s important to go over these things with your doctor.

You can read more about Ativan here: Lorazepam - Wikipedia

Also, here is a discussion thread where people with OCD talk about their experiences with Ativan and describe how it helps their condition: https://www.reddit.com/r/OCD/comments/15icbbs

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that you need to be stronger in this area.

Do not make any oaths to anyone!

“But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.” (James 5:12)

“Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?” (Ecclesiastes 5:5-6)
I try to be stronger, I can barely control it at times if I even can

Reactions: Nancy

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, it's OK. God knows you and what you have experienced. Just ask Him to help you. He takes everything into account. Look at this:

Psalm 87:5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.
6 The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.

In other words, when God is looking at His people, He will count as well the past of His people, where they were born and under what circumstances they lived, or mental problems, etc.

Zion--His children have given their hearts to Him, or they would not be of Zion. He takes us where we are. We knows our weaknesses, and will give us strength to overcome. This may not come immediately, sanctification is a work of a life time. That you are being bothered with oaths is important. God is bringing it to your attention, and wanting both of you to work on it together. Try a little every day to remember not to do it, and pray when an opportunity comes to do so.

I had a similar problem, but with smoking. Everyone told me--God will take it away, just ask. Well, It didn't work, and that was because of me weak in the flesh. But we can up with a plan. I went from smoking to vaping full concentrated e juice. Slowly over time, I reduce the concentration, then finally got down to 0% nicotine, and after couple days, I was done. Haven't vaped in over 5 years or smoked in over 10.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are in Christ, condemnation doesn't belong to you. Keep seeking and enquiring of the Lord. He always has the answers we need. And when He speaks the truth into our situations, it brings true freedom.

John 8:32
[32]And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Also, one thing I would advise doing is arming yourself with scripture,.and anytime the intrusive thoughts pop up in your mind, quote a scripture. If you haven't memorized them, have them on cards and pull them out and read them. Set your eyes on His Word daily.

So
the process may look like this....

1. Intrusive thoughts pop up...
2. Instead of focusing on those thoughts, turn your heart toward Jesus....
3. Acknowledge that those intrusive thoughts are lies, and thank Him for His truth....

4. Quote or read a scripture from a card you carry with you anywhere you go.

This is the process I've used to overcome obstacles in my past when I was being attacked and bombarded by the enemy. Sometimes it works quickly, and other times, it is overcome through diligence to training my mind to look to Him and acknowledge the truth.

Last edited:

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God will understand that you are unwell, especially since it was against your will to make these oaths. I pray that your OCD will soon no longer be present.

I also have been diagnosed with OCD and I have had a similar concern. Whenever I feel it kicking in I think:
1. This is not what I want to do, it was what an intrusive thought is telling me.
2. This is not God speaking, and they are just empty threats because only God would have the power to carry out this threat. A thought in my head does not have the power of God.

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that for me too, facing it head on is tough but one thing that helps is looking for times when it's not as bad. For example I usually don't have as many strong OCD thoughts when I'm around other people so when I feel it happening, I try to trick myself into acting and thinking the way I do when I'm in public.

If there's a time for you when it's not as bad as usual, maybe give that a try. I hope this helps.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to mention that for me too, facing it head on is tough but one thing that helps is looking for times when it's not as bad. For example I usually don't have as many strong OCD thoughts when I'm around other people so when I feel it happening, I try to trick myself into acting and thinking the way I do when I'm in public.

If there's a time for you when it's not as bad as usual, maybe give that a try. I hope this helps.

As has already been said, seek and fol.ow professional medical advice, taking any medication as directed.
What can also help is this website:- 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

Look at point 4, about dealing with intrusive thoughts.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As has already been said, seek and fol.ow professional medical advice, taking any medication as directed.
What can also help is this website:- 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

Look at point 4, about dealing with intrusive thoughts.
How in the world does agreement with lies bring freedom? It doesn't. It's lies that bring delusion and bondage... totally opposite of what Jesus said.

Reactions: Chains Broken

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Jabre.

God knows your heart, and He knows this bothers you. He knows your weakness, your OCD - and He loves you anyway.

Just make sure you know which promises you really do need to keep. Okay?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How in the world does agreement with lies bring freedom? It doesn't. It's lies that bring delusion and bondage... totally opposite of what Jesus said.
Well done for reading it. Remember you are dealing with a damaged mind that is firing off random thoughts and that will respond to ones answers.
The intrusive thoughts are not lies, in that it is a sub routine in the mind that is generating them.
Agreeing with the intrusive thought is one way of turning it off.

May I suggest you discuss this with your therapist.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would just avoid making oaths altogether.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Jabre I find it sad that people can assume then when you say you have no control, they think that they can tell you to control yourself…..ignorance of this and any other condition that takes away self control is hard to overcome.
I have a dear friend with severe OCD who unfortunately has the overwhelming urge to take her own life….she has battled with this for many years, medications of various kinds having only limited success. But now she is on monthly injections (not sure of the name of the medication) and this appears (for now) to have stabilized the urges or at least calmed them.

My nephew also suffers from a very severe case of Tourette’s Syndrome which also takes away self control. He battles this every day, doing and saying things he would never want to do or say…..God knows the difference between weakness, sickness and wickedness.

Having been around those who battle these illnesses, I know that it can hurt when people assume that you can do something yourself to control it…..it’s not about self control any more that any other recognized illness of the body or mind…..my friend used to say that if people could only see her affliction, they would be more sympathetic, but she would say “it is my mind that is in a wheelchair and no one can see it”.

Take heart and if possible think of your illness as someone else who happens to live in your mind…it isn’t you, and you cannot be held responsible for what they do or think.

All the best to you in your battle…….

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheHC

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are loved by the greatest lover in the Universe and he does not hold anything against you.
It is you and others including the Devil, who keeps the accusing voices coming.

We (humanity) have been saddled with disfunction of all colours and stripes by no choice of our own and God understands this and does not blame us any more than you would blame a child who was born with downs syndrome or fatal alcohol syndrome.

You have a Saviour, let him save you!..... he can be trusted......do not resist him.