I share my home with spiders

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
A year or two back I decided to try to spider-proof my house. I did this by, for example, covering holes in the floorboards where the radiator pipes come through. I still get spiders though, and it dawned on me recently that before living in this house I lived for two years in private rented houses. I don't remember ever getting spiders in my home during those two years - not once, not even tiny ones.

This morning I went outside and used some caulk to plug a few gaps in between the brickwork. Maybe that will make a difference.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Learn to like spiders , they are very beneficial.

Take spiders away and you are left with all the tiny flying and crawling things you really don't want in your walls and cracks in your house

A couple of cobwebs can be a hassle for the perfectionist housekeeper , but better than tiny bugs all over.

Poisonous spiders are something else .... but usually in the tropics , not here.

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
I've heard that before, lots of times. But what exactly are these bugs I don't want? And why are they harmful?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Spiders!!! I love them!!! :D

You'll never get rid of them!! Cause they balloon through the air!!! :D :D :D :D

Most of them are harmless, if that's any consolation. Spiders help control flies, mossies, any type of insect really. Other than that, they are absolutely fascinating creatures that speak of a God of Plan and Purpose.

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks. The point is that I get very few insects in my home.

The only bugs I know I have in my home - because everyone has them - that are harmful to me are dust mites, and I would be very surprised if spiders eat dust mites.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Thanks. The point is that I get very few insects in my home.

The only bugs I know I have in my home - because everyone has them - that are harmful to me are dust mites, and I would be very surprised if spiders eat dust mites.

My question would be .... what are the spiders eating in your house ..... has to be something .... otherwise they would move on or die.

Spiders around here catch flies and bugs in their webs .... both inside and outside the house .... truth is most of the webs look empty .... usually because the spider hauls his catch down into the funnel at the bottom of the web.

Want to have some fun .... catch a housefly and toss it into a web .... the spider will zip out , poison it with some kind of a pointed stinger , then haul it in to the nest for a midnight snack .

When i was a kid i was afraid of spiders until my mom showed me that trick .... from then on I tossed lots of flies in the web so they would not have to eat sleeping little boys for a midnight snack .... :)

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
First of all, I'm not sure that spiders in my home eat anything. I rarely see cobwebs - I think most of them are the non-web variety. Also, I believe that spiders can subsist for days without food.

Second, even if they are eating something, then it does not follow that the bugs they are eating are in any way harmful to me.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Second, even if they are eating something, then it does not follow that the bugs they are eating are in any way harmful to me.

Very true .... but if II had a choice between bugs and spiders .... I would take spiders any day.

Are you in the USA ?? .... any poisonous spiders there ?? We have none up here (Canada) .... no poisonous snakes , no alligators either ..... 4 months of snow keeps them away .... :)

sdcougar

Mar 17, 2010
South Dakota
My wife goes hysterical over spiders! The other day I was eating at my parents house and a big spider ran across the table. If my wife had been there we would have had to call the ambulance! This was an unusual event. I had just checked a hay baler before I came in and it probably traveled in on me after I had lifted up the tarp and moved it.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Lol. I remember the first photoshoot I went on with my crush. I grabbed a garden spider to see if she was scared of them. Garden spiders are harmless, but they're very big and hairy :p. Anyway, I was going to put it on her, but usual me, decided just to show her close-up. She freaked. Apparently, if I put it on her, I would've got slapped . . . . maybe I should have. lol

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Where ever the spiders seem to concentrate spread some diatomaceous earth.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/grow-it/diatomaceous-earth-DE-kill-spiders-control-zb0z12zalt.aspx

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
I have a problem with spiders...

I like Garden spiders, and I don't mind wolf spiders, but they don't come into the house.

My problem is with poisonous ones though... There are brown recluse spiders all over my house... Luckily, I don't have such a bad reaction as most people have...They can't bite through people's skin unless they have pressure put on their fangs, so we haven't had any calamities. My kids haven't been bit, but I try to always do an inspection of their bedrooms before they lay down... We live pretty minimalistic, so it isn't hard to do.

In the Fall, we usually find a couple black widows on our property...

We have had the house sprayed, and they were still an issue...

I have packed away my extensive book collection, eliminated allot of furniture, sealed up any cracks and holes I can find in my walls, floors, and ceilings... But they are still EVERYWHERE!...

I turn my furniture over every week, and vacuum the cushions, crevasses, and undersides of everything... I usually find an egg sack somewhere every week... I have ripped all of the dust barriers off of the back of mirrors and undersides of furniture, and from the bottoms of my box-springs of my beds... When I initially did this, it eliminated the biggest part of my infestation...

Now, I only find them in the very few places I cannot easily get to every week, and as long as I still make it a point to regularly clean those areas, the main living space is safe...

I hope you get it figured out.

Leviman

Aug 14, 2012
Spiders are natures house cleaners :) they get rid of flies. I don’t mind if spiders live in the house I am in, they are welcome. Of course I wouldn’t want to many. But thanks be to God for Gods beautiful creature the spider. God Bless.

Reactions: Angelina

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
No matter where you go, you are never more than three feet away from a spider. If that's just the way it is, then that must be the way God wants it to be. Spiders are not bad things. Well, at least not most of them...

Now, here in Florida we have huge wolf spiders. They don't spin webs, they run their prey down. They're awesome and harmless, but when you hear them walking across a piece of cellophane in your closet at night, it can indeed be creepy.

Golden orb weavers, on the other hand, make the most fantastic webs outside. It's creepy when you walk through their web accidentally, but they are beautiful.

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
Lol. I remember the first photoshoot I went on with my crush. I grabbed a garden spider to see if she was scared of them. Garden spiders are harmless, but they're very big and hairy :p. Anyway, I was going to put it on her, but usual me, decided just to show her close-up. She freaked. Apparently, if I put it on her, I would've got slapped . . . . maybe I should have. lol

That was utterly cruel. You should not torment people with phobias.