I will laugh at your calamity and mock you.. and other Proverbs.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revisiting this from Proverbs 1. Only sharing thoughts on God will mock at your calamity and laugh when your fear comes. At night, I listen to proverbs in my earbuds while going to sleep. Last night I had to keep replaying chapter one; or the beginning.

It begins with telling of a people who say(paraphrasing what it means to me):
Let’s wait for blood
Let’s lurk about privately (like a Lion seeking whom he can devour) for the innocent without cause.
Let us swallow them up alive (consume them) as the grave; and….then WE will find all the precious substance (taking it for ourselves) and fill our houses with spoil.
Come, cast in your lot with us, let us all have one purse. (One purse is comical among thieves?)

He warns to not go (walk) that way, to keep your foot from their path. Their feet run to do evil and to shed blood. But what they don’t see is it’s in vain—the net spread—for it’s their own blood they wait for and their own lives they lurk privately for to devour and consume. 2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He takes the wise in their own craftiness.

God doesn’t dig a pit for man to fall into…
God doesn’t lay a net to catch …
But those “dig pits” and “lay a net” meant to catch although it catches them in their own devises of “let us fill our houses all the precious substances” and …if you be wise come cast in your lot among us and divide the spoil with us. Proverbs 16:18-19 Pride goes (lucky) before destruction, and an haughty spirit (seeking to gain all the substance to fill his house) before a fall. [19] Better it is to be of an humble spirit (Christ) with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Which brings me to the passage that jumps out while listening at night …to say God is a laugher of your calamity, and mocker of when your fear comes…..please consider where He said: Romans 1:26-28 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: [27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. [28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
^to me the above is vital to “I will laugh at your calamity, and mock of when your fear comes” …the below in Proverbs is how they “did not like to retain God in their knowledge” so God gives them over to “a reprobate mind”. IT IS a reprobate mind which laughs at your calamity and mocks when your fear comes. —to even the “I will not hear you, when you seek me I will not answer.” In proverbs it a “reprobate mind” since they have refused to retain God in their knowledge. Therefore—-Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Proverbs 1:24-31 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; [25] But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: [26] I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; [27] When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. [28] Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: [29] For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: [30] They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. [31] Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Point is… God does not mock calamity. God does not laugh when your fears come upon you. It’s the eating of the fruits of “their own way” being filled “with their own devises”

I don’t know how many times I’ve been told God does mock at calamity and laughs when our fear comes and how this IS His Nature which is Holy and good not willing that any perish. I no longer think it’s His nature to mock at calamity and laugh when our fear comes but instead the nature of a reprobate mind. Proverbs seems to say they catch themselves in the own devises.

Reactions: quietthinker

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not mock calamity. God does not laugh when your fears come upon you.

That's what satan keeps saying - he's always saying the exact opposite of what the Lord says!

Real believers accept what the Lord says in His Word! thumbsup4.gif

Psalm 37:13
The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

Psalm 2:4
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Psalm 59:8
But You, O Lord, laugh at them;
You scoff at all the nations.

And, let's not forget the time Jesus called Herod effeminate! (essentially calling him a queer)

Luke 13:32
And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that FOX, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow,

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what satan keeps saying - he's always saying the exact opposite of what the Lord says!

Real believers accept what the Lord says in His Word! View attachment 45628

Psalm 37:13
The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

Psalm 2:4
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Psalm 59:8
But You, O Lord, laugh at them;
You scoff at all the nations.

And, let's not forget the time Jesus called Herod effeminate! (essentially calling him a queer)

Luke 13:32
And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that FOX, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow,
Still I think it’s by His turning them over to the reprobate mind. Take for instance “the Lord will have them in derision” yet God is not the author of confusion. Listen…i get you have your own way of seeing it, but I see contradiction in ‘Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: [23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:’ 1 Peter 2:22-23

I see contradiction in how they mocked him on the cross, yet he opened not his mouth to mock again. I see contrition in return not evil with evil. And to not do unto others as they do unto you; but instead do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

To me it’s the reprobate mind which God hands them over to …that mocks, laughs, scorns, and has them in derision. Blinded in their own conceit. Yes, God having given them over to do such things since they refuse to retain His knowledge. But that still doesn’t define God’s nature as one who scorns or has men in derision and laughs at their calamity, or as a mocker.

Matthew 5:44-48 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; [45] That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. [46] For if you love them which love you, what reward have you? do not even the publicans do the same? [47] And if you salute your brothers only, what do you more than others? do not even the publicans do the same? [48] Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The reprobate mind=mockers, derisions, they will not hear you.
Proverbs 1:31-33 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. [32] For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them(remember just prior He said they lay in wait to fill their house with the treasure and take the spoil) . [33] But whoso listens unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

….whoever will listen to me will dwell safely, and will be quiet from fear of evil.
Nothing quiet about mocking, laughing, and derision…2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revisiting this from Proverbs 1. Only sharing thoughts on God will mock at your calamity and laugh when your fear comes. At night, I listen to proverbs in my earbuds while going to sleep. Last night I had to keep replaying chapter one; or the beginning.

It begins with telling of a people who say(paraphrasing what it means to me):
Let’s wait for blood
Let’s lurk about privately (like a Lion seeking whom he can devour) for the innocent without cause.
Let us swallow them up alive (consume them) as the grave; and….then WE will find all the precious substance (taking it for ourselves) and fill our houses with spoil.
Come, cast in your lot with us, let us all have one purse. (One purse is comical among thieves?)

He warns to not go (walk) that way, to keep your foot from their path. Their feet run to do evil and to shed blood. But what they don’t see is it’s in vain—the net spread—for it’s their own blood they wait for and their own lives they lurk privately for to devour and consume. 2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He takes the wise in their own craftiness.

God doesn’t dig a pit for man to fall into…
God doesn’t lay a net to catch …
But those “dig pits” and “lay a net” meant to catch although it catches them in their own devises of “let us fill our houses all the precious substances” and …if you be wise come cast in your lot among us and divide the spoil with us. Proverbs 16:18-19 Pride goes (lucky) before destruction, and an haughty spirit (seeking to gain all the substance to fill his house) before a fall. [19] Better it is to be of an humble spirit (Christ) with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Which brings me to the passage that jumps out while listening at night …to say God is a laugher of your calamity, and mocker of when your fear comes…..please consider where He said: Romans 1:26-28 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: [27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. [28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
^to me the above is vital to “I will laugh at your calamity, and mock of when your fear comes” …the below in Proverbs is how they “did not like to retain God in their knowledge” so God gives them over to “a reprobate mind”. IT IS a reprobate mind which laughs at your calamity and mocks when your fear comes. —to even the “I will not hear you, when you seek me I will not answer.” In proverbs it a “reprobate mind” since they have refused to retain God in their knowledge. Therefore—-Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Proverbs 1:24-31 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; [25] But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: [26] I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; [27] When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. [28] Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: [29] For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: [30] They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. [31] Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Point is… God does not mock calamity. God does not laugh when your fears come upon you. It’s the eating of the fruits of “their own way” being filled “with their own devises”

I don’t know how many times I’ve been told God does mock at calamity and laughs when our fear comes and how this IS His Nature which is Holy and good not willing that any perish. I no longer think it’s His nature to mock at calamity and laugh when our fear comes but instead the nature of a reprobate mind. Proverbs seems to say they catch themselves in the own devises.
What we say and think and write is embedded in a cultural context.....even those who are inspired by God.
We see this principle at work throughout all the nations of history. Those who resist these influences are often on the outer while finding them difficult to erase in totality.

Here's an example; Moses who was born a slave but later educated in the courts of Pharaoh viewed God as an 'Uber Pharaoh' ie, one above all reprimand....like, one who issued orders and if they weren't obeyed the death penalty was issued easily and so he wrote from that ingrained cultural perspective......even while being removed from the immediate influence of Egypt for forty years and minding sheep.

Fast forward to King Solomon who wrote the Proverbs you quote re God mocking. This is none other than a culturally accepted attitude which Solomon assumed (and projected onto) God also harboured and you rightfully assess the matter in saying,.....
'Point is… God does not mock calamity. God does not laugh when your fears come upon you. It’s the eating of the fruits of “their own way” being filled “with their own devises”

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs continued study…Wisdom and instruction to discern the saying of understanding,
To receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, Justice and equity,
To give prudence to the naive,
To give youth knowledge and discretion…

Is there a difference in ‘a wise man who increases learning’ and ‘a man of understanding who gets wise counsel’?

First, I notice one is a wise man who increases in learning…yet the other is a man of understanding gets wise counsel. Is the a difference? Maybe so…

Verses to consider:
Knowledge puffs up
But Charity edifies
Charity never fails.
Knowledge, it will vanish away. (Corinthians 13)

But you, O Daniel, shut up the Words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro and knowledge shall be increased. (Daniel 12:4) —as fast and easy as is it to find ‘a wise man increased in knowledge’ …

how easy is it to find ‘a man who understands get wise counsel?’ To me I think this is more rare.

It all makes me think of ‘though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, have you not many fathers.’

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Proverbs continued study…Wisdom and instruction to discern the saying of understanding,
To receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, Justice and equity,
To give prudence to the naive,
To give youth knowledge and discretion…

Is there a difference in ‘a wise man who increases learning’ and ‘a man of understanding who gets wise counsel’?

First, I notice one is a wise man who increases in learning…yet the other is a man of understanding gets wise counsel. Is the a difference? Maybe so…

Verses to consider:
Knowledge puffs up
But Charity edifies
Charity never fails.
Knowledge, it will vanish away. (Corinthians 13)

But you, O Daniel, shut up the Words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro and knowledge shall be increased. (Daniel 12:4) —as fast and easy as is it to find ‘a wise man increased in knowledge’ …

how easy is it to find ‘a man who understands get wise counsel?’ To me I think this is more rare.

It all makes me think of ‘though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, have you not many fathers.’
Here's something to consider ViJ...

2 Corinthians 1:20
'For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory ...

....and what are his promises in summary? He does not hold our sins against us. (reference, The Prodigal Son )

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'Point is… God does not mock calamity. God does not laugh when your fears come upon you. It’s the eating of the fruits of “their own way” being filled “with their own devises”
Laughing at the consequences of the fool’s rejection of wisdom does convey hardness against the fool, it reveals the folly of rejecting wisdom as per Proverbs 2:44. Wisdom is vindicated. The disaster could have been avoided as would the laughter! (disclaimer: no inferences were made in this response and is independent of any past discussions)

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It amazes me how much of the parables and teachings in the New Testament come from Proverbs. I’m not good at off setting text, so please excuse my attempt.

Proverbs 25:1-10 These also are proverbs of Solomon which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied. It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out. As the heavens for height, and the earth for depth, so the heart of kings is unsearchable.

Take away the dross from the silver, and the smith has material for a vessel;

1. 2 Timothy 2:20-21 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.​
take away the wicked from the presence of the king, and his throne will be established in righteousness.
——
proverbs: Do not put yourself forward to claim honour in the king's presence or stand in the place of the great men, for it is better to be told, "Come up here," than to be put lower in the presence of a noble.

1. Luke 14:7-10 And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them, When you are bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than you be bidden of him; And he that called you and him come and say to you, Give this man place; and you begin with shame to take the lowest room. But when you are bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that he that called you comes, he may say unto you, Friend, go up higher: then will you have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with you.
——

Proverbs: What your eyes have seen do not hastily bring into court(to argue your case), for what will you do in the end, when your neighbor humiliates you to shame? Argue your case with your neighbor himself, and do not reveal (uncover) another's secret, lest he who hears you bring shame (reproach) upon you, and your evil report will have no end(and will not pass away).

1. 1 Corinthians 6:1-7 Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to form the smallest law courts? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life? So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church? I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not among you anyone wise who will be able to decide between his brothers and sisters, but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers? Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather suffer the wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?

1. Matthew 5:21-25 “You have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not murder,’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be answerable to the court.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be answerable to the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be answerable to the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. Therefore, if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there you remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. Come to good terms with your accuser quickly, while you are with him on the way to court, so that your accuser will not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you will not be thrown into prison.