I wish evolution was true ... because I would have Wings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
aspen said:
Sounds like you are only interested in winning, UD.....why should it matter if you are at a disadvantage on a science website if you are just there to share ideas? the reason jordan has to be careful about discussion evolution or any other scientific area of study on a Christian board is because she could easily get banned. that usually doesnt happened to Christians on a science based site.
Vale, Im not sure where you got the idea that I believe science is 'on my side'. Perhaps if you had been around for the past month you would know that i do not defend evolution or creationism - I think the debate is rather ridiculous. Evolution is an area of science and Creationism is an area in religion. IMO, the evidence for evolution is compelling, but it is far from airtight. Creationism is a misinterpretation of ancient, inspired literature.

As far as reframing my comment about a lack of self esteem - it has nothing to do with agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. I was speaking about people who have narcisissistic traits (it is not a disorder, btw) - one of the hallmarks of someone who has narcissistic traits is low self esteem. As i mentioned to Jordan, confronting people with these traits is counterproductive because they are incapable of seeing any other POV other than their own.

Narcissistic traits have to do with personality, not sanity. i have not diagnosed anyone.

Finally, since you are confusing narcissistic traits with a disorder and sanity, it is clear how you mistake Creationism with science and evolution with religion.
Aspen, you are not offended by a belief being taught to our kids as fact.....that implies God is evil, cross a joke and scripture recent dogma?

Satanism 101 = 2 Cor 11:14 And it is no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

River runs from dealing with those facts. You?

Every Christian needs to make a stand against this tripe and rebuke River and her ilk as false prophets. Just read all her biased posts. Yes, I am biased, but toward scripture...because I am a Christian. Biased against scripture = atheist / satanist. River should ''at least'' be = more open minded / objective.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
aspen said:
Sounds like you are only interested in winning, UD.....why should it matter if you are at a disadvantage on a science website if you are just there to share ideas? the reason jordan has to be careful about discussion evolution or any other scientific area of study on a Christian board is because she could easily get banned. that usually doesnt happened to Christians on a science based site.
Vale, Im not sure where you got the idea that I believe science is 'on my side'. Perhaps if you had been around for the past month you would know that i do not defend evolution or creationism - I think the debate is rather ridiculous. Evolution is an area of science and Creationism is an area in religion. IMO, the evidence for evolution is compelling, but it is far from airtight. Creationism is a misinterpretation of ancient, inspired literature.
I don't mind "losing" Aspen, but this does not merely concern me, it concerns the members of this board and other people lurking and reading all the misleading comments that RJ has been making against me and other creationists.

BTW, why did you not criticize River Jordan for only being interested in winning? I don't suppose it has anything to do with where your sympathies lie in this issue?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
UppsalaDragby said:
Obviously these are only excuses (just like the ones you made earlier on and then retracted) that you are making for the sake of justifying your leaving that forum. These kinds of things occur in ANY Christian forum, including this one, so, I repeat my question: why are you still here if the above points are grounds for leaving?
I'm sure you see it that way, but that doesn't really matter to me. I gave my reasons for not wasting my time there, and I'm satisfied.

The reason I still post here is because I wasn't referred to Christianity Board as a good place to discuss scientific methodologies. I knew coming in that this was first and foremost a theological/philosophical forum centered around Christianity. So I have no expectations of engaging in detailed conversations about geochemistry and such. At the other forum OTOH, my expectations were very different, and I was severely disappointed.

Gee, to me that sounds a lot like going from one forum to another and declaring victory!

Oh, and by the way, how often did the nasty members at evolutionfairytale jump from thread to thread feigning victory?

Please provide some links so that I can look into this myself.
I've not "declared victory" in any way at all. I just left and gave my reasons for doing so. And no, I didn't keep count and I'm not at all interested in copying dialog from there into here.

Hehe.. nice try. I'm not a biologist, so it would be a huge disadvantage for me to join such a board.
So? You seem to be very interested in this subject.

Besides, what exactly within biology do you think can resolve this issue for me? The points of interest in this discussion lie beyond the reach of biologists. If you disagree River Jordan, then be my guest and show me what empirical evidence within biology that any bird was previously a reptile, or that life came from non-life, or that humans decended from any ape-like creature, or that common descent should be considered a fact.
There ya' go....join one of these forums and you'll get such things in spades, oftentimes from the very people who are studying those subjects. So what do ya' say?

As I pointed out, which you conveniently ignored, evolutionists and creationists work on different models.
I've not seen anything resembling a "creationist model". Can you describe it for me beyond just "It's based on the Bible"?

If you can't accept that then why don't YOU account for the untold dollars and time that evolutionists have spent attacking science, if you consider that a theoretical paradigm is "science"?
Sorry, I'm not following you there.

Firstly, I gave you a list of things that YOU agreed to and which show that radiometric dating IS based on assumption.
IIRC, none of the things you listed apply specifically or exclusively to geochemistry, and were so vague as to basically apply to everything.

Secondly, I never made the claim that the Mt. St. Helens was relevant to lake varves.
Then again I have to ask....why did you cite Mt St Helens in response to my bringing up lake varves?

Thirdly, YOU claimed to have observed lake varves that show seasonal patterns, which actually shows how YOU went beyond your knowledge of science!
????? I have seen them, including the means by which they are determined to be annual layers. So I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Forthly, I never conflated geologists and evolutionists. That one I consider to be a flat out lie.
Yeah, you did when you said, "creationists can PROVE that strata does not need millions and millions of years to form, whereas evolutionists cannot PROVE that any strata takes millions of years".

And what you mean by "finding a dino fossil is embarrassing" is beyond me. Perhaps you could explain?
When Arnie posted about a new dino fossil in Alberta, you responded by saying "Well that's kind of embarrasing isn't it?" (and then went on your silly rant about the 60 MYO footprint).

What, am I supposed to give you an account for everthing I have read, and all the vidoes I have seen for the past 15 years or so? Get real! This is just a time wasting rehash of the same question you have been asking for weeks!
Yep, I've been asking for weeks and you still haven't answered. Like I said, if you were in front of a jury, they'd think you were hiding something.

All you have to do is give me a few examples of what from the "evolution side" you looked into. If it was books, give two or three titles. If it was videos, give two or three titles.

Here, let me give you an example. Because of my work in our youth ministry, my background in biology, and the fact that kids come to us with lots of questions about evolution and creationism, I've spent a fair bit of time studying creationism. For example, I've read (in full) Morris' The Genesis Flood, Behe's Darwin's Black Box, Johnson's Evolution on Trial, and Wells' Icons of Evolution. I've also browsed through and/or read parts of Meyer's Signature in the Cell and Denton's A Theory in Crisis. I've also watched a handful of creationist movies including Darwin's Dilemma, Expelled, and some of AiG's Creation dvds.

See? Not hard at all.

You have ALREADY repeatedly insulted me by claiming that my knowledge of sciences is poor, even though you haven't specifically pointed out what I need to know that has relevance to origins, so what exactly is your point in all this? I have asked you this very question REPEATEDLY, and yet YOU claim that I am evasive!!! Stop playing games here!
This is absolutely bizarre. I've told you several times why I've been asking this question. I'll just repeat what I posted in #151

Wow. This just gets more and more strange with every post. Not only did I answer your question in post #118, I re-posted that answer in the post you just responded to! Here it is again....

When you said you had "looked at all sides of this debate", I figured that would have included something from the "science side". So I asked you what specifically from the science side you had studied, and that's when you got all weird and was like "who said anything about science". I just wanted to know what specifically you had studied from science. That's all.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UD, i am glad to hear that winning the argument is not your goal. you should have no problem going to a science site and continuing your discussion - this will also solve your percieved concern regarding vulnerable Christians being infleunced by Jordans opinion of you and other YECs

i have given Jordan feedback - in fact, i have addressed more posts to her than i have to you. However, you are correct about my sympathies leaning towards Jordan - the reason is, she simply wants to be heard - her message is that demanding that creationism is actually science is false AND linking creationism with a saving relationship with Jesus turns intellegent people away from Christ, when it really is an in house discussion with no relationship to salvation. You, on the other hand, appear to be on a self imposed mission to defend what you believe to be a critical piece of Christianity that is being trampled on. i do not believe Truth needs to be defended because it cannot be threatened by its very nature. Jordan is not trying to argue the truth of evolution - it is already a fact in her opinion - she is just trying to be heard.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
KingJ said:
Aspen, you are not offended by a belief being taught to our kids as fact.....that implies God is evil, cross a joke and scripture recent dogma?

Satanism 101 = 2 Cor 11:14 And it is no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

River runs from dealing with those facts. You?

Every Christian needs to make a stand against this tripe and rebuke River and her ilk as false prophets. Just read all her biased posts. Yes, I am biased, but toward scripture...because I am a Christian. Biased against scripture = atheist / satanist. River should ''at least'' be = more open minded / objective.
And you can't figure out why I'm not very interested in talking to you? :rolleyes:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ - being biased against scripture equals satanism? well, i guess if your god is the Bible.....

Are you sure that Jordan hates scripture or is biased against it? Seems to me that she is merely pointing out that creationism is not science. It so seems like you are claiming that if creationism is not science, it must be false - this is simply not true. Creation verses can be true without being literally interpreted. Unless you are willing to throw out psalms, revelation, song of songs, all of Jesus's parables - all of Paul's hyperbole.....

At least I seem the true of the creation verse without having to mould it into a materialistic, scientific framwork, which is really no different from any secularist.
Claiming that creationist is just a vain attempt for legitimacy - just like Mormons claiming that there 19th century Bible is inspired

opps meant to say "claiming that creationism is science is like Mormons claiming the Book of Mormon is inspired"

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
River Jordan said:
And you can't figure out why I'm not very interested in talking to you? :rolleyes:
Can you guess why many Christians here have a rough time with you? Evasiveness and bias from someone with an IQ above 10 = troll / atheist or false teacher. Please prove me wrong.

aspen said:
KingJ - being biased against scripture equals satanism? well, i guess if your god is the Bible.....

1. Are you sure that Jordan hates scripture or is biased against it? 2. Seems to me that she is merely pointing out that creationism is not science. It so seems like you are claiming that if creationism is not science, it must be false - this is simply not true. Creation verses can be true without being literally interpreted. Unless you are willing to throw out psalms, revelation, song of songs, all of Jesus's parables - all of Paul's hyperbole.....

3. At least I seem the true of the creation verse without having to mould it into a materialistic, scientific framwork, which is really no different from any secularist.
Claiming that creationist is just a vain attempt for legitimacy - just like Mormons claiming that there 19th century Bible is inspired

opps meant to say "claiming that creationism is science is like Mormons claiming the Book of Mormon is inspired"
1. She, like you to a degree are not ''dealing'' with scripture. These verses mean little to you two 2 Tim 3:16, John 1:1, 2 Pet 1:21. You believe she is not un-baised on creationist arguments?
2. Evolution is not ''merely pointing out that creationism science is not science''. I am sorry, I am using my IQ above 10 to see the camel sized cactus of evolution you expect me to swallow after that seemingly simple / true statement. You should do the same.
3. No, Christians claiming the bible is inspired is not on par with Mormons claiming the same. A Christian should know that.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
inspired does not mean literal

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
KingJ said:
Can you guess why many Christians here have a rough time with you?
IMO, it's obvious. Many of the fundamentalists here have memorized creationist talking points and have been assured that "evolutionists" don't have any answers to them. You've all been told that evolution is a lie, is an atheistic belief system, no new species have evolved, transitional fossils don't exist, evolution can't produce genetic information, radiometric dating is all just assumptions, and so on. And you've been told that "evolutionists" have no counters to those arguments.

Suddenly I show up....a Christian who is not only an "evolutionist", but also knows these subjects pretty well. I start to show the lies behind those talking points....evolution happens, most evolutionists are theists, new species have been observed to evolve, transitional fossils exist, genetic information is trivially easy to see generated, radiometric dating methods don't merely assume things, and so on.

That puts you guys in a tough spot. You can't just wave me away as an atheist and you can't keep up in debates over the science. But no way are you going to abandon your creationist talking points, so all you have left is to wave all the science away as "biased", invoke conspiracy theories, and attack me personally.

But from where I sit, some of you guys seem to intuitively realize just how weak that all is, and it frustrates the heck out of you. Surely if your side of this debate were really strong, you'd be able to come up with better rebuttals than conspiracy theories and personal attacks, right? But that's all you have, and even the possibility of considering that maybe, just maybe, I might be right on even one of these issues is absolutely not an option.

So, you guys keep going back to your only refuge...name calling, personal attacks, and conspiracy theories. That's all you have and it really drives you crazy.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
River Jordan said:
I'm sure you see it that way, but that doesn't really matter to me. I gave my reasons for not wasting my time there, and I'm satisfied.

The reason I still post here is because I wasn't referred to Christianity Board as a good place to discuss scientific methodologies. I knew coming in that this was first and foremost a theological/philosophical forum centered around Christianity. So I have no expectations of engaging in detailed conversations about geochemistry and such. At the other forum OTOH, my expectations were very different, and I was severely disappointed.
Whatever...

It seems strange to me though, given the above, that not much of what you have posted here seems to have anything to do with "theological/philosophical" matters "centered around Christianity". Obviously, the reason you came here was to preach evolution.

I've not "declared victory" in any way at all. I just left and gave my reasons for doing so. And no, I didn't keep count and I'm not at all interested in copying dialog from there into here.
So it's another empty claim then.

There ya' go....join one of these forums and you'll get such things in spades, oftentimes from the very people who are studying those subjects. So what do ya' say?
If you cannot point out one shred of empirical evidence that these things are factual rather than conjectural, then why should I let you send me on a wild goose chase? Surely, if you think that these issues can be resolved by studying the evidence presented on other forums then why don't you simply present it here yourself?

I've not seen anything resembling a "creationist model". Can you describe it for me beyond just "It's based on the Bible"?
You can visit sites such as Creation.com if you want more details.

Sorry, I'm not following you there.
You are accusing creationists of "attacking science" simply because they have a different theoretical explanation for origins than evolutionists. I could just as easily say that evolutionists are "attacking science" for trying to support their explanation.

IIRC, none of the things you listed apply specifically or exclusively to geochemistry, and were so vague as to basically apply to everything.
That's besides the point. YOU made the assertion that the things I said went beyond my knowledge of science. All I have done is point out that there is a margin of error based on certain facts, all of which you agreed to. So again, where exactly did I go beyond my knowledge of science?

Then again I have to ask....why did you cite Mt St Helens in response to my bringing up lake varves?
For the very reason I gave when I mentioned it - to show that it was possible for layers to be laid down rapidly. You then tried to bluff your way out if it by implying that you had personally verified that tens of thousands of such layers were lake varves, as though the lake in that area existed for tens of thousands of years!

I have seen them, including the means by which they are determined to be annual layers. So I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
You claimed to have seen spring-summer-fall-winter cycles. A varve or annual couplet is composed of a light-colored melting season or "summer" layer and an overlying dark-colored non-melt season or "winter" layer.

Yeah, you did when you said, "creationists can PROVE that strata does not need millions and millions of years to form, whereas evolutionists cannot PROVE that any strata takes millions of years".
Anyone who wasn't desparately trying to win a forum argument understands that I wasn't using the above comment in an attempt to claim that evolutionists and geologists are the same thing. And so... if you are going to be silly about this.. then just show me how that comment proves your point.

When Arnie posted about a new dino fossil in Alberta, you responded by saying "Well that's kind of embarrasing isn't it?"
You are the desparate one aren't you? That was simply a casual comment based on what Arnie posted, not something I was submitting as an agument based on my knowledge of science.

(and then went on your silly rant about the 60 MYO footprint).
All I did there was discuss the likelyhood that a fossilized footprint would be found flush on the top of the ground. You had nothing to explain it then, and nothing now, except to call it a silly rant. So where did I go beyond my knowledge of science?

Yep, I've been asking for weeks and you still haven't answered. Like I said, if you were in front of a jury, they'd think you were hiding something.
Well I'm not in front of a jury and don't need to answer things that are just a waste of time. If you recall I repeatedly asked you what your point was, and to day you HAVEN'T responded, not even in the comment below.

I also told you EXPLICITLY that I don't read books written by either evolutionists or creationists and here you are badgering me to present lists of titles. Sure, I have seen countless videos down through the years by evolutionists such as thunderf00t, dprjones, CDK002 and so on, but I don't memorize the titles of such videos. But why do I need to give YOU such an account anyway????

This is absolutely bizarre. I've told you several times why I've been asking this question. I'll just repeat what I posted in #151

Wow. This just gets more and more strange with every post. Not only did I answer your question in post #118, I re-posted that answer in the post you just responded to! Here it is again....

When you said you had "looked at all sides of this debate", I figured that would have included something from the "science side". So I asked you what specifically from the science side you had studied, and that's when you got all weird and was like "who said anything about science". I just wanted to know what specifically you had studied from science. That's all.
Just saying that you wanted to know is not telling me what you POINT is! If you have a point in knowing these things that is significant to this discussion then please FOR ONCE explain to me what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.