Identifying Hyperbole in Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, hating your family members means your feelings for them being tantamount to no love in comparison to your love for God.

That's not too far-fetched.

God tells us that we must love Him with all our ability.

That means not what's leftover after divvying up to our family members.

Ya, you do not want to hate everybody, particularly your mom and dad.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Just FYI you can fully delete posts here any time you want to. Same place you click to Edit them, lower left corner of post box.

I didn't actually write a post.
I started to write one, but then........as this Thread is the effort of a TROLL, i decided to pass.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I presented information that was not speculation.

So your response didn't apply.

Like I said to begin with you have to look at the context in which it was presented.
The phrase, do not boil and kid in its mother's milk....appears 3 times in the Old Testament, not associated with paganism.
The kid is a young goat.
It is not a traditional recipe for the Hebrews
And what you have done is speculation....which is fine.....but I do not agree.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you find this in Scripture?

Sounds like speculation.

The information I presented was historical.

I said it was speculation.

The information you presented maybe historical but I do not see how it is relevant to the topic.

Exodus 23:19
Exodus 34:26
Deuteronomy 14:21

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said to begin with you have to look at the context in which it was presented.
The phrase, do not boil and kid in its mother's milk....appears 3 times in the Old Testament, not associated with paganism.
The kid is a young goat.
It is not a traditional recipe for the Hebrews
And what you have done is speculation....which is fine.....but I do not agree.

It is also why keeping kosher is nonsense. Abraham served God's messengers a young goat cooked in its mother's milk.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is also why keeping kosher is nonsense. Abraham served God's messengers a young goat cooked in its mother's milk.
Goats are Kosher, but I'm not aware of any Scripture that shows Abraham doing that.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said it was speculation.

The information you presented maybe historical but I do not see how it is relevant to the topic.

Exodus 23:19
Exodus 34:26
Deuteronomy 14:21
It's relevant in that it supports my argument that the verses you presented are not exaggerations (hyperbole) by God. They were spoken for very specific reasons; and the fact that you found at least 3 occasions in Scripture where the Command was given not to boil a goat in its mother's milk further supports my position that it was a specific instruction for a specific reason.

Not a meaningless hyperbole.

I think we can put this one to rest.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's relevant in that it supports my argument that the verses you presented are not exaggerations (hyperbole) by God. They were spoken for very specific reasons; and the fact that you found at least 3 occasions in Scripture where the Command was given not to boil a goat in its mother's milk further supports my position that it was a specific instruction for a specific reason.

Not a meaningless hyperbole.

I think we can put this one to rest.

You might want to re-read those posts.

In neither case did I say they were hyperboles, in fact I made the point that hyperboles are very rare.

And the examples I gave, I explained were speculations.

As far as boiling a goat in its mother's milk.....the scriptures do not support your position because you were trying to tie them into paganism. In context the term is a general statement....speculations can start from there

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said it was speculation. The information you presented maybe historical but I do not see how it is relevant to the topic.
I asked where you find that 'Goat' is not a traditional recipe for the Hebrews, but I'm satisfied with putting this one to bed.

Nighty-night.