if i wanted to become a catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How Different is Catholicism From Jehovah's Witnesses and Protestantism.
JW's are not really considered to be Christian because they do not believe Jesus is God.

Catholics believe Jesus is God and are very united in their beliefs although there will be some dissension in some ways that are not major. Catholics are Christian.

Protestants are also Christian because they also believe Jesus is God.
However, in Protestantism, you'll find many denominations and each one will be slightly different. But they all believe Jesus died for our sins, that we are saved through Him, that He resurrected on the third day and that we are to follow Him.
Catholics also believe this.

Protestants do not believe the bread and wine turns into the literal body and blood of Jesus.
They believe in asking God directly for forgiveness of sins.
They differ on eternal security: Some believe salvation can be lost by abandoning God and others believe it's impossible to leave God once you know Him.

With Christians, blood transfusions are fine, doctors are fine, if you decide to leave a church you are not ostracized because of it and your family does not have to disown you. I'd say that Christianity is freer than the Witnesses --- they practice a very legal religion.

Much to look into to...take your time.
Read the N.T. too, before you formally study it...

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
JW's are not really considered to be Christian because they do not believe Jesus is God.

Catholics believe Jesus is God and are very united in their beliefs although there will be some dissension in some ways that are not major. Catholics are Christian.

Protestants are also Christian because they also believe Jesus is God.
However, in Protestantism, you'll find many denominations and each one will be slightly different. But they all believe Jesus died for our sins, that we are saved through Him, that He resurrected on the third day and that we are to follow Him.
Catholics also believe this.

Protestants do not believe the bread and wine turns into the literal body and blood of Jesus.
They believe in asking God directly for forgiveness of sins.
They differ on eternal security: Some believe salvation can be lost by abandoning God and others believe it's impossible to leave God once you know Him.

With Christians, blood transfusions are fine, doctors are fine, if you decide to leave a church you are not ostracized because of it and your family does not have to disown you. I'd say that Christianity is freer than the Witnesses --- they practice a very legal religion.

Much to look into to...take your time.
Read the N.T. too, before you formally study it...
which Protestant Demon. is Closet To Catholicism and Which is The Farthest?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes about 10 months to join the Catholic Church - you need to take a class and get baptized. The class is good - answers all your question and there is no pressure to join - you can quit anytime.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Closest ones i can find Are Catholic Student Union Center
Florida State University

900 West Tennessee Street
Tallahassee, FL 32304
72.41 miles

Catholic Campus Ministry (Resurretion Catholic Church)
Jacksonville University

3383 University Blvd. North
Jacksonville, FL 32277
96.27 miles

Campus Minister
Flagler College

74 King Street (College)
St. Augustine, FL 32084
112.00 miles
Try this link to find a Newman Center near you

Find a Campus

Reactions: aspen

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Do i have to Be a student in order to join these classes. What Level of education Do i need

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do i have to Be a student in order to join these classes. What Level of education Do i need

No. Newman Centers are open to everyone. You will probably see old people who still attend Mass there and older people who are not students going through the class, which is called RCIA

Reactions: Mister Michael

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Protestants Usually Only Teach From the bible and nothing Else Right, What About Catholics?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Protestants Usually Only Teach From the bible and nothing Else Right, What About Catholics?

Catholic Teach from the Bible and from the Tradition of the Church, which is based on long held doctrines of the early church

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is a very interesting question.
If you want the closest thing to Catholicism, maybe you should just consider Catholicism? Why settle for something close to it?

I do like the Nazarene church. It's simple and down to earth and doesn't have any odd teachings...I hope it's the same as I left it 18 years ago because of my move to Italy.

The only type of church I don't care for is independent churches..I like denominational churches.

You should maybe check out the Lutheran Church. It's protestant but has the formality of a catholic church.

Attend the services and find out.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No. Newman Centers are open to everyone. You will probably see old people who still attend Mass there and older people who are not students going through the class, which is called RCIA
The centers seem far away from MM. Shouldn't it be close enough so that he could attend in person?

A good, active church with a nice priest/pastor type that teaches the bible would be good in my opinion. (if he can't go to the Newman Center).

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how do i contact them what if there are none near me?

Aspen's suggestion is a good one, but you should still try your local parish especially if those centers are to far from you.

Try googling your town/city and catholic church. That should give you a list of parishes near you.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Also pray! Dont be afraid to ask our Lord, Jesus Christ to come into your heart! Ask Him for help and guidence...

It is the Grace of God that has you seeking to know Jesus and His church..

May He bless you and give you His Grace abundently as you follow HIM on your journey!

Peace!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Aspen's suggestion is a good one, but you should still try your local parish especially if those centers are to far from you.

Try googling your town/city and catholic church. That should give you a list of parishes near you.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Also pray! Dont be afraid to ask our Lord, Jesus Christ to come into your heart! Ask Him for help and guidence...

It is the Grace of God that has you seeking to know Jesus and His church..

May He bless you and give you His Grace abundently as you follow HIM on your journey!

Peace!

only one i can find in my town.

Google Maps

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nearest would be probably Episcopalian.
Furthest would be... that's a very hard call.
No and none. It is nice if you can read though, but not required.
This is BIG simplification.
Catholics do believe that Sacred Tradition is also a source of authority, a peer to the Bible. As do Orthodox.
Protestants will vary from group to group how big of a role traditions play into theological understanding, but the big thing for them is that scripture is the most important.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
is Catholicism like Traditional Christianity And Protestantism is Reformed or is this an over simplification