Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also I tend to gravitate to the NIV translation of the Bible.
One of the footnotes in the NIV (and the useful footnotes are one of the reasons I like the NIV) says that "cursing" refers to putting curses on people, i.e. wishing bad things happen to them. Peter's wishing Simon Magi would go to hell (Acts 8:20 above) is a curse. Paul hoping God would strike the High Priest in Acts 23:3 is a curse. Were St. Peter and St. Paul saved?

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The language police really cleaned up Acts 8:20 in almost every translation. What the great St. Peter literally said in the Greek is:

Πέτρος δὲ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτόν τὸ ἀργύριόν σου σὺν σοὶ εἴη εἰς ἀπώλειαν
But Peter said to him, "May your silver and you together go into ἀπώλεια!"

"Apoleia", the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew "Abaddon", the post-mortem place of Destruction; see Psalm 88:11. So, a better translation would be:

But Peter said to him, "You and your money go to hell together!"

Oh, my.

That's not a very nice thing to say.
No, the word is not "hell". It never means "hell" - Kata Biblon Wiki Lexicon - ἀπώλεια - destruction/expulsion (n.)

It is "perish" (destroy). In other words, both person and payment to perish permanently together.

G684
ἀπώλεια
apōleia

Total KJV Occurrences: 21

perdition, 8
Joh_17:12, Php_1:28, 2Th_2:3, 1Ti_6:9, Heb_10:39, 2Pe_3:7, Rev_17:8, Rev_17:11

destruction, 5
Mat_7:13, Rom_9:22, Php_3:19, 2Pe_2:1, 2Pe_3:16

waste, 2
Mat_26:8, Mar_14:4

damnable, 1
2Pe_2:1

damnation, 1
2Pe_2:3

die, 1
Act_25:16

perish, 1
Act_8:20

pernicious, 1
2Pe_2:2

ways, 1
2Pe_2:2

Reactions: 360watt

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With that being said, I want to tell you what is troubling me. My parents taught me that if you hear a person cussing then that means they are not saved because it is out of heart that the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34) The holy spirit comes inside and changes one’s heart. Therefor if cursing is coming out of your lips that means the holy spirit isn’t there, therefor you are probably not saved.... This way of interpreting the Bible, has impacted me to my core, and it has caused me to be judgmental of those around me.

You were taught badly.

Somewhere we got this idea that when we are saved, the Holy Spirit completely cleans us up immediately, and from here on out, we'll behave perfectly. And then the reality that we're not totally clean hits, we see we still cuss and we still lust and we still crave and we still get frustrated with our situation and our neighbors (especially our neighbors!), and we lose trust in God, because He didn't deliver what we expected to get right away. And when we lose trust, we lose hope.

But the Holy Spirit is only a down payment on what we are promised we'll receive later.

We're still children. We are still learning. We are still growing up. Growing up takes time, and we all grow up at different rates.

So we keep learning, keep growing, and we trust the Father not to throw us out of the house when we screw up.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is "perish" (destroy). In other words, both person and payment to perish permanently together.
Noun form. Not the verb. It's a place; see Psalm 88:11 and others. Abaddon (Apoleia, "Destruction") is often associated with Sheol (Hades, "the grave", "hell") in the OT poetic books.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If cursing is not an indication of someone’s salvation, then what is? How can we tell who is saved who isn’t? How on earth do we do this without being too judgmental?

Are you sure you want to do that? It's probably better if I judge myself strictly before I judge others. Jesus will judge us all anyway. Hopefully with mercy. But if you're into that sort of thing, start with 1 John 3:14:

We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers and sisters. The one who does not love remains in death. (1 John 3:14)

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Noun form. Not the verb. It's a place; see Psalm 88:11 and others.
Again, "hell" and "destruction" are not the same.

Psalms 88:11

'ăbaddôn
Total KJV Occurrences: 5
destruction, 5
Job_26:6, Job_28:22, Job_31:12, Pro_15:11 (2)

See Proverbs 15:11.

Pro 15:11 Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

In the so called lxx Psalms 87:12 (Psalms 88:11 KJB).

Psa 87:12 (lxx) μὴ διηγήσεταί τις ἐν τάφῳ τὸ ἔλεός σου καὶ τὴν ἀλήθειάν σου ἐν τῇ ἀπωλείᾳ;

It NEVER means "hell".

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Swearing shows somebody is angry at something, and that's definitely unchristian..:)
"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered" (Proverbs 22:24)

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Swearing shows somebody is angry at something, and that's definitely unchristian..:)
"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered" (Proverbs 22:24)
I like this text with what you stated:

Eph_4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:​

So there is a proper and right anger that should not cross into sin.

Mat_5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.​

Jesus was angry, and sinned not:

Joh 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,​
Joh 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:​
Joh 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;​
Joh 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.​
Joh 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.​
Mar_3:5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man,​
Eph_4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:​
Col_3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.​

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Joh 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;​
Mar_3:5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts"​

Yes, that was carefully-aimed controlled anger but Jesus never made a habit of it unless it was justified..:)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With that being said, I want to tell you what is troubling me. My parents taught me that if you hear a person cussing then that means they are not saved because it is out of heart that the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34) The holy spirit comes inside and changes one’s heart. Therefor if cursing is coming out of your lips that means the holy spirit isn’t there, therefor you are probably not saved.
A Christian can cuss like a race horse! They shouldn't but believers do cuss. they are still saved. all sin is sin and all sins a believers commit have already been paid for at Calvary and by the blood shed. That is not a license to continue n sin, but a joy to live as we are redesigned by god to.

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
“Their tongue is a sharp sword” it can murder. And no murderer has eternal life.

The grace of God is revealed to teach us to deny all unrighteousness. True repentance brings fruit. John the Baptist said to those who came to be baptized to bring forth fruits meet for repentance. We must put to death all carnal or fleshly things because the carnal mind is enmity against God.

Matthew 12:36-37 KJV
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

[37] For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Mark 7:15 KJV
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Psalm 31:20 KJV
Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.

Psalm 34:13 KJV
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

Psalm 39:1 KJV
I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Psalm 50:19-20 KJV
Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit. [20] Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.

Psalm 52:2-4 KJV
Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. [3] Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. [4] Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.

Psalm 57:4 KJV
My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember in my job, such people would call someone something, a word that people do not like to hear, but it was True in fact !

I would ponder in meting with a new Builder and think I should punch this bloke in the face directly ? so we get off on the right footing ? Don't come the scum bag with me chap ! So Try and be a Human and not a outright criminal thief if you could please, as I am not going to be your Slave, lets get this straight buster ! Some people were that bad in fact.

I even came to help them out of a real pickle, saving them out big time, so they could sell million dollar + houses and just get a criminal intent acts, games with money and try not to pay you, just any game play they could try, not to pay you and even people with a small Job play games.

My Dad had one who wanted everything he did for him for free ! or this moron claimed would go on TV using his spastic kid as bate to get sympathy from idiots. So it's hi wife we got nothing for 2 weeks work and cost us in materials lovely day is it not ? once again !

I seen a dude dragged up the street behind a road bike once on Mad Max 1, but the dude had did nothing wrong to deserve that, but what if it happened to one who was a outright creep, I ponder. Just one reaping what they sowed ?

I warned my builder mate, that You never know, you may come across someone who has nothing at all too loose one day, if you are not carful ? No I won't ! was the reply.

A outright criminal intent person believes he wont cop it ! Like a thief won't get shot in some ones house ? But maybe one will one day ?
Now I would never take the chance of entering with such an intent, one for out of fear just for a starters ! I doing wrong as well is another issue ? But what if I did not have such issues ?

But words do offend some people to the point that any actions are totally oblivious, even if it totally describes the fact of the matter.

Last edited by a moderator: