I'm stuck with a moral question and I need help: The Sinking Lifeboat

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dei-Gnostica

Nov 4, 2007
You are adrift in a life raft after your cruise ship has sunk. There are too many survivors for the life rafts, and yours is dangerously overloaded. The raft is certain to sink, and even with life vests on, all the passengers are sure to die because of the frigid temperature of the water. One person on the boat is awake and alert but gravely ill and will not survive the journey no matter what. Throwing that person overboard would prevent the raft from sinking. Could you be the one who tosses the person out?

Dei-Gnostica

Nov 4, 2007
The afterlife in our Father's Paradise is far more important than this life..... so I voted 'no'. But I voted honestly and sincerely. Can you honestly and sincerely, and truthfully both to yourself and others, say that you would be willing to die for a complete stranger?For me the choice is simple: "Do unto others..."

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I voted no. And I'm wondering if you're typing this on a laptop in the middle of an ocean
tongue.gif
.It would be a hard choice. Most likely I will be the one who doesn't do anything. But I would hate to be the person kicking everyone out.

Dei-Gnostica

Nov 4, 2007
(Wakka;24271)
I voted no. And I'm wondering if you're typing this on a laptop in the middle of an ocean
tongue.gif
.It would be a hard choice. Most likely I will be the one who doesn't do anything. But I would hate to be the person kicking everyone out.
Ocean.... this time of the year, no thanks
tongue.gif
I wouldn't be the one who doesn't "do anything". I guess I'd make the sacrifice and jump overboard. I'm fairly certain God would not see this as suicide, but merely a selfless act. "Doing nothing" makes things worse. It is because of us good honest Christians turning a blind eye initially, that Hitler was able to get such a foothold. No one can be impartial, brother.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
No.I know where I am going. Unless the gravely ill person beats me to it, I'll jump out with God's help, of course. I cannot boast that I will. I just know that Jesus will help me lay my life down for my neighbor out of love for them.And that is something you have to ask Jesus about. Maybe that gravely ill person is not a believer, but by you jumping overboard, that gravely ill person may finally believe since you profess you know where you are going.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
I voted NO because I have love in my heart for others, God is the giver and taker of life .I would be praying for this man and all of us,while trusting God to do His will not mines:). God:blessyou:

seanguynj

Nov 28, 2007
I can't seem to understand the people who voted "no."He won't make it til the end anyways,and the loss of his life (which is inevitable) sooner than expected will give life to others.This isn't about having a heart for people and loving everyone. God is the giver and the taker of life, yes. We can all pray about it as the boat is sinking.Or we can make a rational and the most beneficial decision,which is to get rid of one guy to save the rest.That's what I'd honestly do.Is it wrong to think that way?

jkdjr25

Nov 5, 2007
To be perfectly honest I don't know what I would do in that situation. Maybe that makes me a bad Christian, I don't know. I figured you wanted an honest answer and that's the only one I can give.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
It is impossible to honestly say what one would do in any situation until you're in it. I seriously doubt I would jump overboard--not because of the fear of death since I'm born again, but because of my phobia about now being able to breathe. I also doubt I could throw someone overboard while he's alive, but would I try to prevent others from doing it? Probably not.

Nov 8, 2007
(seanguynj;24460)
I can't seem to understand the people who voted "no."He won't make it til the end anyways,and the loss of his life (which is inevitable) sooner than expected will give life to others.This isn't about having a heart for people and loving everyone. God is the giver and the taker of life, yes. We can all pray about it as the boat is sinking.Or we can make a rational and the most beneficial decision,which is to get rid of one guy to save the rest.That's what I'd honestly do.Is it wrong to think that way?
This reminds me of Philosophy which I dropped months ago. Would you kill or get rid of one to save the Rest? You can't use a Christian Perspective, but since we are at a forum for Christians I will. I would not allow one to die or kill one in order to Save the Rest! It's not in my hands whether Nature allows him to live or Die, Nature being Dictated by God! But I can't be selfish, He who saves his life will lose it, He who loses his Life for The Sake of Christ will save it! It would be a hard decision, but I would pray to The Father that he deems my act worthy of his Kingdom, and that he would lead me.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
Yes."For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"(Hebrews 9:27)

Dei-Gnostica

Nov 4, 2007
(Mighty Bear;24590)
Yes."For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"(Hebrews 9:27)
I'm not sure how the above verses justify "Yes. [you would throw the man overboard]"

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
(Dei-Gnostica;24728)
I'm not sure how the above verses justify "Yes. [you would throw the man overboard]"
If the dying man is without sin then he wouldnot be afraid to die for he is ready, but as forthose with him, are they ready? And if the dyingman is guilty of sin, he would reap his rewardwhich is death. Are we allowed to kill ourselves?Think of the benefits, of the lives that wouldbe saved.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
NoI would trust in Lord to do his will if I died so be it To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord fear not the death of the Body(flesh) worry about the death of your soulTo lie in wait and plan the death of another is murder Thou shalt not kill (murder)the faith of a mustard seed can move a moutain or float a boat:)