In a man's life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fireberry

Jan 28, 2008
I wrote this in a Harley site I have been a member with a long time. Reading over some of the post in this 'new to me' site, it for some reason came to mind.The thread was making fun of people on crack. More than a few got a big laugh at the jokes told of these people. I just could not help, but think of the people I once had the chance to work with.Long-long time ago, when a man's life is different. Before life begins to land its hay makers on his soul and body. Before you learn that many are called but few are chosen. I had been on the road since I was 17 and was now 19. A change had come to me and I left drugs and such behind. I was given a job at a place called the Detroit Rescue Mission. It was on 3rd and Myrtle in the sums of Detroit. Right where the riots of 68 had been. I started in the summer of 71. It was a great place. Very large and clean. We could feed 250 for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. A person could get a clean bunk for 3 nights with a hot shower and clean sheets for the asking. The only charge was for them to attend services before each meal. Anyway I had be contacted by a friend and they wanted me to come to work with them. They gave me an apartment and 25 dollars a week. Best job I will ever have in my life. As I said a man's life was different then.When I first got there I ask one of the pastors why if its so hot do these people have these heavy coats on? And there were lots of men and women. Lots. He told me because they will need them come winter. They have no place to put them without them getting stolen.A few days later it is the first week of the month. We are having lunch and the poor and homeless were always fed first before the staff. There was something different and I asked what it was. Again was told that the welfare checks were out at this time of the month so they had a little money. As a man in what seemed to be in his late 40's took his tray of food and was about to sit down his pint of Old Crow showed from his back pocket. Two of the older staff went to him and told him he was welcome to eat if he gave up what was left of his pint or he would have to leave with it. The man stood up and looked at them and pulled out what was left of it. Could not have been more than two or three ounces left. He left his tray and walked away.Real men say " If I had it to do over again I would not change a thing about my life. I would do it just like I lived it." I won't ever be that kind of a man. I would change many things about this life. I think of him to this day. He bought space in my head that will never go away. Why did you not just go and take his tray and walk out with him? You could have sat of the corner curb with him and made sure he did not go hungry this night. It is something that would be one of the first things I would change if I could. I will never be able to show this to him again, but let me try to help the other hungry people when they come to me. It is not what they do with what I give them. Once I give it - it no longer belongs to me so I have no say on how it is used.Sometimes you wish a thread would have just died and drifted away to the thread bone yard . This was one of them. I would go back to read this one over the last few days, in hope that there would be a CMA'er or a Christian biker that would have a kind word to say for these people. It did not come. Fact be, a man who goes by Sinner had the heart to offer a post of hope for them. Then another who does not use the name of Jesus anywhere in his notes. Shame on you all. For when I was hungry did you feed me? When I was thirsty did you give me a cool drink? When I was sick did you take care of me? When I was in Jail did you come and see me? When Lord, did we ever find you like this? Who ever hath done this for the least of mine is the same as doing it to me. Or what about Forget not to entertain strangers for there by some have entertained angles unaware. Were you afraid of the flame jobs that are sure to come? You lost a time to maybe change the world just ever so small. To tell of people and stories of street people that have lost their way for now, but the game is not over. There is always hope. That people can regain their footing in life and make a go of it. Thank you Sinner Wyodud, and Markr for making our world a little less cold.

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
wow, I truly appreciated every word. I know exactly what you mean about this "empty space." I too have struggled with these situations, even though you would consider me young. So many "why did/didnt you do this back then" questions.I found the most relief in Jesus' words about each days worries. Its just about the same to me. I find it best to not struggle with these things- may as well use that time to make things different.Btw, I lived in MI near Detroit for a handful of years- depressing.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
About 15 years ago a young Brit TV broadcaster was hailed as the Golden Boy of TV, he had everything, fame, fortune, wife and kids, but then he vanished from our screens.Last year one of his old TV pals - newsreader Carol Barnes - set out to track him down and her findings were revealed in a half-hour TV docu a few weeks ago.The guy was an alcoholic, homeless and sleeping rough on Brighton seafront, kicked out by his family, having succumbed to booze (to "relieve his stress") over the years.The camera followed him around and he regularly took swigs from a whisky bottle.His wife and kids were interviewed and they were quite clear - "We'll support him all we can, but the bottom line is it's all up to him to make the first move to pull himself together."I couldn't agree more...6 years ago I was just out of jail, homeless, jobless, girlfriendless and living in a tent in a wood. No problem, I simply got out and up in the blink of an eye, so if I can do it, anybody can.Oh and i've never drank or smoked or drugged in my life, I don't need it..
smile.gif
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of selfdiscipline" (2 Tim 1:7)