IN HIS IMAGE AND LIKENESS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have said there is no commandment to keep the Sabbath prior to the giving of the commandment on Mr. Sinai.However you will see that it was not needed to be commanded. Romans 1:19, and 20 tell us the invisible things were clearly seen from the creation of the world so we are without excuse. But that is not all. There is more. Genesis 1:26 tells us how. Most translations say that we are made in God’s image and likeness. But the text actually says more in the Hebrew
The words likeness and image are actually compound words, בְּ·צַלְמֵ֖·נ"in our image move" and בְּ דְמוּתֵ֑·נוּ "in our likeness move" is what God says there. The prefix כִּ meaning in and the suffix נוּ meaning move in both words. With צַלְמֵ֖ being image. And דְמוּתֵ֑ translating to likeness. In other words when Adam and Eve were made they were made in God’s image and likeness to move. So when God rested they rested on the Seventh Day because they were one with God moving in His image and likeness. Adam and Eve fell away from this when they sinned. But Jesus reestablished to its utmost. For God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself. With man this was impossible but with God all things are possible. Him in us, us in Him that the world might believe. For it is He that works in us both to will and do His good pleasure. John 17, Philippians 2:13. Below are verse references and excerpts from Hebrew Lexicons so you can see the proof for yourself. God bless!

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Gen 1:26 וַ·יֹּ֣אמֶר said אֱלֹהִ֔ים And God נַֽעֲשֶׂ֥ה Let us make אָדָ֛ם man בְּ·צַלְמֵ֖·נוּ in our image move כִּ·דְמוּתֵ֑·נוּ after our likeness move וְ·יִרְדּוּ֩ and let them have dominion בִ·דְגַ֨ת over the fish הַ·יָּ֜ם of the sea וּ·בְ·ע֣וֹף and over the fowl הַ·שָּׁמַ֗יִם of the air וּ·בַ·בְּהֵמָה֙ and over the cattle וּ·בְ·כָל־ all הָ·אָ֔רֶץ and over all the earth וּ·בְ·כָל־ every הָ·רֶ֖מֶשׂ and over every creeping thing הָֽ·רֹמֵ֥שׂ that creepeth עַל־ on הָ·אָֽרֶץ׃ upon the earth

First נֵד From the Gesineus Lexicon

H5110 - GES5023
נוּד
(compare cogn. נָדַד)-

(1) to be moved, to be agitated (Arab, ناد Med. Waw id.), used of a reed shaken by the wind, 1Kin 14:15, hence to wander, to be a fugitive, Jer 4:1, Gen 4:12, 14 Psa 56:9, to flee, 11:1, Jer 49:30. Figuratively, Isa 17:11, נֵד קָצִיר “the harvest has fled” [“but see נֵד ” which some in this place take as the subst.].

(2) Followed by a dat. to pity, to commiserate (as signified by a motion of the head, compare Job 16:4, 16:5,); hence-(a) to comfort the afflicted, followed by לְ of pers. 2:1, 42:11, Isa 51:19, Jer 16:5.-(b) to grieve, to lament, to deplore the dead, 22:10.

Hiphil הֵנִיד.-

(1) causat. to cause to wander, to expel, 2Kin 21:8, Psa 36:12.

(2) i.q. Kal, to agitate, to nod, wag with the head (בְּרֹאשׁ), Jer 18:16.

Hophal, part. מֻנָד 2Sam 23:6, shaken out, thrust out; but R. b. Asher reads מֻנָּד, from the root נָדַד.

Hithpael הִתְנוֹדֵד.-

(1) to be moved to and fro, to wag, Isa 24:20, to move the head, Jer 48:27.

(2) to lament, Jer 31:18.

Derived nouns, מָנוֹד, נִיד, נוֹד [and in Thes. נֵד].

Secondly בְּ from the same Lexicon.

GES855
בְּ
(A) pr. in, with ablat. Gr. ἐν. Specially-

(1) in, pr. of place [“which might be more fully and precisely expressed by בְּתֹךְ, בְּקֶרֶב”], as בָּעִיר in the city, בַּבַּיִת in the house, בַּבּוֹר in the pit, בָּאָרֶץ in the land or province, בַּאֲשֶׁר in (a place) which = where; then used of time: בַּשָּׁנָה הַהִיא Judg 10:8, בְּרֵאשִׁית Gen 1:1, comp. בְּטֶרֶם, בְּעוֹר; also of the condition in which we are: בְּשָׁלוֹם 1Sam 29:7, and, in the later Hebrew, it is even prefixed pleon. to adverbs: בְּכֹה, בְּכֵן. By a peculiar idiom of language, it is used of the fountain, origin, and material whence any thing is drawn, is made, or comes forth; as-(a) in the phrase, “to drink in a cup,” i.e. to drink what is in the cup; for “out of the cup” (like the French “boire dans une tasse;” Gr. ἐν χρυσῷ, ἐν ποτηρίοιζ πίνειν, Xenoph. Anab. vi. 1, § 4); Gen 44:5, Amos 6:6, comp. Chald. Dan 5:2.-(b) of the material, as the German eine Münze in Gold, ein Stoff in Wolle, in Grz gegoffen. 2Chr 9:18, כֶּבֶשׂ בַּזָּהָב “a footstool of gold.” Exod 38:8, Lev 13:52, 1Kin 7:14, Ezek 7:20. Metaph.-(c) יָרַע בְּ to know by any thing, Exod 7:17.

(2) When it refers to a multitude, in the midst of which one is, i.q. among, in. Lam 1:3, בַּגּוֹיִם “among the nations.” 2Kin 18:5, בְּכָל־מַלְבֵי יְהוּרָה. 2Sam 15:31, “Ahithophel is בַּקּשְׁרִים among the conspirators.” Psa 118:7, יְהֹוָה בְּעֹזְרַי “Jehovah is among my helpers,” i.e. is my helper (comp. Lat. in magnis viris est habendus); Job 15:10, Jer 6:18. Song 1:8, הַיָּפָה בַּנָּשִׁים “fair (fairest) among women.” Lam 1:1, Josh 14:15, comp. Luke 1:25, 28, 42. Specially it signifies a part excepted from a whole number (as מִן No. 1). Psa 139:16, “my days were determined וְלֹא אֶחָד בָּהֶם when as yet not one among them (of them) existed.” Exod 14:28. 1Sam 11:11, “two בָּם of them;” Lev 26:36, Deut 1:35. Hence, when used with some verbs, it shews that they refer to only a part of the predicate; as הִכָּה בְּ to smite (several) of them, to cause a slaughter among enemies (different from הִכָּה with an acc. to smite them), 2Sam 23:10, הָרַג בְּ Psa 78:31, comp. נָשָׂא בְּ Job 7:13, בָּנָה בְּ, an etwas bauen, to build on, Zech 6:15, בְּ, שָׁתָה, אָכַל Prov 9:5.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more you take in of someone you follow its just like the saying “you are who you marry”, you become like them.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

With Jesus Christ by the Spirit of Christ with-in us, those who follow him and abide in his teachings become more like him, but it's him that is deserves the credit when good comes about, although we are ultimately making the choice to actively participate in allowing Yahava, to work in our hearts and minds, it is all glory to God.

Amen.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have said there is no commandment to keep the Sabbath prior to the giving of the commandment on Mr. Sinai.However you will see that it was not needed to be commanded. Romans 1:19, and 20 tell us the invisible things were clearly seen from the creation of the world so we are without excuse. But that is not all. There is more. Genesis 1:26 tells us how. Most translations say that we are made in God’s image and likeness. But the text actually says more in the Hebrew
The words likeness and image are actually compound words, בְּ·צַלְמֵ֖·נ"in our image move" and בְּ דְמוּתֵ֑·נוּ "in our likeness move" is what God says there. The prefix כִּ meaning in and the suffix נוּ meaning move in both words. With צַלְמֵ֖ being image. And דְמוּתֵ֑ translating to likeness. In other words when Adam and Eve were made they were made in God’s image and likeness to move. So when God rested they rested on the Seventh Day because they were one with God moving in His image and likeness. Adam and Eve fell away from this when they sinned. But Jesus reestablished to its utmost. For God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself. With man this was impossible but with God all things are possible. Him in us, us in Him that the world might believe. For it is He that works in us both to will and do His good pleasure. John 17, Philippians 2:13. Below are verse references and excerpts from Hebrew Lexicons so you can see the proof for yourself. God bless!

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Gen 1:26 וַ·יֹּ֣אמֶר said אֱלֹהִ֔ים And God נַֽעֲשֶׂ֥ה Let us make אָדָ֛ם man בְּ·צַלְמֵ֖·נוּ in our image move כִּ·דְמוּתֵ֑·נוּ after our likeness move וְ·יִרְדּוּ֩ and let them have dominion בִ·דְגַ֨ת over the fish הַ·יָּ֜ם of the sea וּ·בְ·ע֣וֹף and over the fowl הַ·שָּׁמַ֗יִם of the air וּ·בַ·בְּהֵמָה֙ and over the cattle וּ·בְ·כָל־ all הָ·אָ֔רֶץ and over all the earth וּ·בְ·כָל־ every הָ·רֶ֖מֶשׂ and over every creeping thing הָֽ·רֹמֵ֥שׂ that creepeth עַל־ on הָ·אָֽרֶץ׃ upon the earth

First נֵד From the Gesineus Lexicon

H5110 - GES5023
נוּד
(compare cogn. נָדַד)-

(1) to be moved, to be agitated (Arab, ناد Med. Waw id.), used of a reed shaken by the wind, 1Kin 14:15, hence to wander, to be a fugitive, Jer 4:1, Gen 4:12, 14 Psa 56:9, to flee, 11:1, Jer 49:30. Figuratively, Isa 17:11, נֵד קָצִיר “the harvest has fled” [“but see נֵד ” which some in this place take as the subst.].

(2) Followed by a dat. to pity, to commiserate (as signified by a motion of the head, compare Job 16:4, 16:5,); hence-(a) to comfort the afflicted, followed by לְ of pers. 2:1, 42:11, Isa 51:19, Jer 16:5.-(b) to grieve, to lament, to deplore the dead, 22:10.

Hiphil הֵנִיד.-

(1) causat. to cause to wander, to expel, 2Kin 21:8, Psa 36:12.

(2) i.q. Kal, to agitate, to nod, wag with the head (בְּרֹאשׁ), Jer 18:16.

Hophal, part. מֻנָד 2Sam 23:6, shaken out, thrust out; but R. b. Asher reads מֻנָּד, from the root נָדַד.

Hithpael הִתְנוֹדֵד.-

(1) to be moved to and fro, to wag, Isa 24:20, to move the head, Jer 48:27.

(2) to lament, Jer 31:18.

Derived nouns, מָנוֹד, נִיד, נוֹד [and in Thes. נֵד].

Secondly בְּ from the same Lexicon.

GES855
בְּ
(A) pr. in, with ablat. Gr. ἐν. Specially-

(1) in, pr. of place [“which might be more fully and precisely expressed by בְּתֹךְ, בְּקֶרֶב”], as בָּעִיר in the city, בַּבַּיִת in the house, בַּבּוֹר in the pit, בָּאָרֶץ in the land or province, בַּאֲשֶׁר in (a place) which = where; then used of time: בַּשָּׁנָה הַהִיא Judg 10:8, בְּרֵאשִׁית Gen 1:1, comp. בְּטֶרֶם, בְּעוֹר; also of the condition in which we are: בְּשָׁלוֹם 1Sam 29:7, and, in the later Hebrew, it is even prefixed pleon. to adverbs: בְּכֹה, בְּכֵן. By a peculiar idiom of language, it is used of the fountain, origin, and material whence any thing is drawn, is made, or comes forth; as-(a) in the phrase, “to drink in a cup,” i.e. to drink what is in the cup; for “out of the cup” (like the French “boire dans une tasse;” Gr. ἐν χρυσῷ, ἐν ποτηρίοιζ πίνειν, Xenoph. Anab. vi. 1, § 4); Gen 44:5, Amos 6:6, comp. Chald. Dan 5:2.-(b) of the material, as the German eine Münze in Gold, ein Stoff in Wolle, in Grz gegoffen. 2Chr 9:18, כֶּבֶשׂ בַּזָּהָב “a footstool of gold.” Exod 38:8, Lev 13:52, 1Kin 7:14, Ezek 7:20. Metaph.-(c) יָרַע בְּ to know by any thing, Exod 7:17.

(2) When it refers to a multitude, in the midst of which one is, i.q. among, in. Lam 1:3, בַּגּוֹיִם “among the nations.” 2Kin 18:5, בְּכָל־מַלְבֵי יְהוּרָה. 2Sam 15:31, “Ahithophel is בַּקּשְׁרִים among the conspirators.” Psa 118:7, יְהֹוָה בְּעֹזְרַי “Jehovah is among my helpers,” i.e. is my helper (comp. Lat. in magnis viris est habendus); Job 15:10, Jer 6:18. Song 1:8, הַיָּפָה בַּנָּשִׁים “fair (fairest) among women.” Lam 1:1, Josh 14:15, comp. Luke 1:25, 28, 42. Specially it signifies a part excepted from a whole number (as מִן No. 1). Psa 139:16, “my days were determined וְלֹא אֶחָד בָּהֶם when as yet not one among them (of them) existed.” Exod 14:28. 1Sam 11:11, “two בָּם of them;” Lev 26:36, Deut 1:35. Hence, when used with some verbs, it shews that they refer to only a part of the predicate; as הִכָּה בְּ to smite (several) of them, to cause a slaughter among enemies (different from הִכָּה with an acc. to smite them), 2Sam 23:10, הָרַג בְּ Psa 78:31, comp. נָשָׂא בְּ Job 7:13, בָּנָה בְּ, an etwas bauen, to build on, Zech 6:15, בְּ, שָׁתָה, אָכַל Prov 9:5.
What are you saying the scriptures teach?

1. A 7th Day Sabbath is commanded of all men from the creation, and continues in the New Covenant?
or
2. Honoring one day after six days of work are by example given for ALL men, not just Israel?
or
3. If one honors the 1st day of the week rather than the 7th day of the week, they are disobedient?
or
4. A person's salvation depends upon his keeping the 7th day sabbath?

Did you create that Hebrew/English rendering in the OP yourself, or do you know any Hebrew-English Interlinear English gloss that reads that way? I've looked at several Hebrew-English Interlinear Bibles and do not find what you have put together.

"...he said to them, 'This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a holy sabbath to the LORD; bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning.’” Exod 16:23 NRSV

I see no command about the "sabbath" in the OT until this passage in Ex. 16:23. It is the first time the word "sabbath" is used and I've not found any translation that uses "sabbath" prior to this text.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matt 28:19-20 NRSV

I have not found a text where the apostles taught the New Covenant believers a command to keep the 7th day sabbath, or ANY specific day of the week.

"You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to me to have life." Joh 5:39-40 NRSVA

I do not want to fall into the error of the Jews, and see legalism in the written word and miss seeing Jesus of whom the scriptures speak. "They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, 'Sir, we wish to see Jesus.'"
Joh 12:21 NRSVA

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you saying the scriptures teach? Did you create that Hebrew/English rendering in the OP yourself, or do you know any Hebrew-English Interlinear English gloss that reads that way? I've looked at several Hebrew-English Interlinear Bibles and do not find what you have put together.
What was said was said. References are listed.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was said was said. References are listed.
The image and likeness of God as described in the NT-

"Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator." (Col 3:9-10 NRSV)

"You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." (Eph 4:22-24 NRSV)

Legalism over days in the NT -

"Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths." (Col 2:16 NRSV)

"Now, however, that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits? How can you want to be enslaved to them again? You are observing special days, and months, and seasons, and years. I am afraid that my work for you may have been wasted." (Gal 4:9-11 NRSV)

"Who are you to pass judgment on servants of another? It is before their own lord that they stand or fall. And they will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make them stand. Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds." (Rom 14:4-5 NRSV)

After Jesus fulfilled and completed the law, including the 7th day sabbath, it is said of Him -

"He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it." (Eph 2:15-16 NRSV)

"And when you were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive together with him, when he forgave us all our trespasses, erasing the record that stood against us with its legal demands. He set this aside, nailing it to the cross." (Col 2:13-14 NRSV)

"In speaking of 'a new covenant,' he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear." (Heb 8:13 NRSV)
the old or first covenant in the OT
"He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." (Exod 34:28 NRSV)

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and TEACHING THEM TO OBEY EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE COMMANDED YOU. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt 28:19-20 NRSV)