In praise of the Christian Virtues!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All about the Christian virtues!

Virtues are a supernatural help from God!

Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope, & charity!

Faith:

Faith is an intellectual assent to a truth revealed by Christ and proposed by His holy church for our belief!

“Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe all the truths God has revealed, on the word of God revealing them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived (John 20:29)”

Act of Faith
O my God, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Thy Divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. Amen.

Hope:

“Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God, who is all-powerful and faithful to His promises, will in His mercy give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it (Romans 8:24-25)”

Act of Hope
O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer. Amen.

Charity:

“Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God (deut. 6:5, 1 Corinthians 13:1-2)”

Act of Charity (Love)
O my God, I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all good and worthy of all my love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured. Amen.

Cardinal or moral Virtues: Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance!

Prudence:

Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it.

Justice:

It is the moderation or mean between selfishness and selflessness – between having more and having less than one's fair share.

Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the “virtue of religion.” Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good.

Fortitude:

Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.

Temperance:

Temperance is defined as moderation or voluntary self-restraint in regards to food and drink, especially alcohol.

Christian Virtues:

Humility:

Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist, there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.
—St. Augustine

Humility is truth! Any exaggeration either way, to belittle or to self-aggrandize is a violation of the virtues of humility.

Moderation:

Avoiding extremes or excesses, restraint from excesses such as extravagant luxury or splurging, and restraint from rage or craving by practicing self-control.

Obedience:

Submission to proper authority.
To the will of God in all things, and proper authority established by God in the government, family, the workplace, and the authority of Christ exercised in Holy mother church.

Courage:

Choosing to do good, especially when that is most difficult. Courage most demands our respect when it incurs risk without selfish motivation. Courage is moral strength in the face of danger.

Generosity:

The virtue of being liberal in giving. Generosity is giving to another person something of yours as an act of freewill, without obligation.

Meekness:

A virtue that moderates anger and controls resentment toward others. It is finding strength through submission to the will God.

Honesty:

A virtue that seeks truthfulness, a respect for our neighbors property and goods, fair dealing, fidelity to promises.

Modesty:

A virtue of self control necessary for guarding purity, & chastity. A modest person dresses, speaks, and acts in a manner that supports and encourages purity and chastity, and not in as manner that would tempt or encourage sinful sexual behavior.

Modesty is an especially important virtue for women, for it moderates the desire to be seen and known in a sexual way, a lady must practice modesty and decorum at all times, a lady would never dress as a man, wearing pants or shorts, and modesty prevents all modes of perversion such a man wearing ladies underwear etc.

Modest behavior respects the boundaries of intimacy that are imbedded in our nature, by the natural law and the principles of sexual behavior laid out in Divine Revelation. Modesty ensures and supports purity of heart, a gift that enables us to see God’s plan for personal relationships, sexuality, and marriage.

Purity:

The virtue of benevolence—acting without any trace of evil or selfish motives. Intentions are pure only when they are free of self-interest, egoism, desire, envy, cruelty, spite, greed, malice, lust, trickery, and dishonesty.

Patience:

The ability to suffer in peace proclaiming always; “Thy will be done, and not mine”.

Perseverance:

Persistence, strength, growing in grace, remaining faithful to the end, Enduring.

Seven deadly sins:

Pride, anger, lust, gluttony, sloth, greed, envy.

Pride: self will, self interest, protest, rebellion, “I will not serve”.
Anger: hurt pride, “I am offended”.
Lust: improper sexuality.
Gluttony: lack of self control in regards food & drink, especially alcohol.
Sloth: lazy, self seeking, find you’re ease.
Greed: selfish desire for our neighbors goods.
Envy: despising the good our neighbor possesses.

The virtures are supernatural gifts, and helps from God that moderate, control, and eliminate the vices in the life of a Christian!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gifts of the Holy Ghost:

wisdom
understanding
counsel
fortitude