in vain?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

OED says:

Vain

Devoid of real value, worth, or significance; idle, unprofitable, useless, worthless; of no effect, force, or power; fruitless, futile, unavailing

Of persons: Devoid of sense or wisdom; foolish, silly, thoughtless; of an idle or futile nature or disposition.

Given to or indulging in personal vanity; having an excessively high opinion of one's own appearance, attainments, qualities, possessions, etc.; delighting in, or desirous of attracting, the admiration of others; conceited.

Many say its cursing, but is it really? Cursing can be offensive language to some, but is it what the Lord speaks of here?

cursing biblicaly is:

Mar_11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

Deu_11:26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

Gen_3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

if you think about it the Lord has done His fair share of cursing.

but vain biblically

Exo_5:9 Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words.
1Sa_12:21 And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain.
Mat_6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Act_4:25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?

so where do people get its against a commandment to cuss or swear as understood in todays world?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
so where do people get its against a commandment to cuss or swear as understood in todays world?
From Jesus in the sermon on the mount.
Matt 5:33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

As Jesus says, all you need to say is yes or no, there is no need for foul language.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Jesus in the sermon on the mount.
Matt 5:33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

As Jesus says, all you need to say is yes or no, there is no need for foul language.

in the context you posted, to swear is to promise or undertake something by an oath; to take an oath by way of a solemn promise or undertaking.

it has nothing to do with what words some one would use, that you chose to be offended by.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
in the context you posted, to swear is to promise or undertake something by an oath; to take an oath by way of a solemn promise or undertaking.

it has nothing to do with what words some one would use, that you chose to be offended by.

Read thev last line of my quote.
Often the use of vulgar/crude language is to empherses the importance of what has been said.
Jesus says say what you mean, don't add to it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

OED says:

Vain

Devoid of real value, worth, or significance; idle, unprofitable, useless, worthless; of no effect, force, or power; fruitless, futile, unavailing

Of persons: Devoid of sense or wisdom; foolish, silly, thoughtless; of an idle or futile nature or disposition.

Given to or indulging in personal vanity; having an excessively high opinion of one's own appearance, attainments, qualities, possessions, etc.; delighting in, or desirous of attracting, the admiration of others; conceited.

Many say its cursing, but is it really? Cursing can be offensive language to some, but is it what the Lord speaks of here?

cursing biblicaly is:

Mar_11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

Deu_11:26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

Gen_3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

if you think about it the Lord has done His fair share of cursing.

but vain biblically

Exo_5:9 Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words.
1Sa_12:21 And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain.
Mat_6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Act_4:25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?

For me, what it means to take the Lord's name in vain has nothing to do with cussing but has to do with: John 15:16
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

To attach His name to something He has no part of.

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, what it means to take the Lord's name in vain has nothing to do with cussing but has to do with: John 15:16
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

To attach His name to something He has no part of.

absolutely, amen and all that. which might make one wonder why the detraction away from this truth. considering how many think its about some sort of etiquette associated to social behavior.

if you work on a construction site for instance, no one is offended by words used by his fellow workers, no matter the language or subject. but in a church setting the same people would have to walk on egg shells for fear of offending. hence who is quick to take offence, of others for no real reason of substance like, some one punched your mother or something like that, but to chose to be offended by words as though someone punched your mother?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus