'In your dwellings'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
[Leviticus 7:26; 23:3, 14, 21 & 31, and Numbers 35:29]

Hi there,

Reading Leviticus, and the Lord's instruction to the children of Israel regarding the feasts, I was struck by the reiteration of the words, 'in your dwellings'. In relation too, to the keeping of the Sabbath day, and the restriction of the eating of blood, it all had application within their dwellings.

It just brought home that these instructions were very much for the individual, and about life within the home, though mutually shared in and partaken in by the larger community.

A saying from my childhood was, 'Charity begins at home'.

I found it thought provoking.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,

Reading Leviticus, and the Lord's instruction to the children of Israel regarding the feasts, I was struck by the reiteration of the words, 'in your dwellings'. In relation too, to the keeping of the Sabbath day, and the restriction of the eating of blood, it all had application within their dwellings.

It just brought home that these instructions were very much for the individual, and about life within the home, though mutually shared in and partaken in by the larger community.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

You sure do have an eye for these things Chris...yes, very thought provoking.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, Nancy,

It hardly warrants a thread, yet it seemed worth commenting on. I like your new avatar by the way.

Love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Well, I guess we will see if this warrants a thread...I think it does! Yes, I changed the Avatar to something well, a little less smirky, haha!

Reactions: marks and charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Correct. Charity begins at home and so does spirituality. But neither can remain confined to the home. For Christians the field is the world.

Hi @Enoch111,

Yes, I agree, yet I have known of those whose main concern has been the world, while their home and family have been neglected.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: brakelite

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It just brought home that these instructions were very much for the individual, and about life within the home, though mutually shared in and partaken in by the larger community

Hi. This comes to mind, being this begins at home, then "partaken in by the larger community"...

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
[2] A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
[3] Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
[4] One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
[5] (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

[6] Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
[7] Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
[8] Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
[9] Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

[10] And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
[11] Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
[12] Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

God bless!

Reactions: Butterfly

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees,
branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook;
and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year.
It shall be a statute for ever in your generations:
ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
Ye shall dwell in booths seven days;
all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths,
when I brought them out of the land of Egypt:
I am the LORD your God.
And Moses declared unto the children of Israel the feasts of the LORD.'

(Leviticus 23:40-44)

Hi @Nancy,

I apologise for this deviation, but, looking at Leviticus 23:40-44 above, and looking in the book, ' Figures of Speech Found in Scripture,' I discovered that there are two figures used there, in the verses I have highlighted (above). In verse 40, it is a figure called, 'Pleonasm' or 'Redundancy' where more words are used than the grammar requires. It is used by the Holy Spirit to fill up the sense which without them would be incomplete and imperfect, and emphasises by amplification. The words, 'And ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God' - literally says:- 'before the face of the Lord your God', - meaning that is: - in His very presence. Which is wonderful, don't you think?

* Then in verse 42, (highlighted) it is a figure called, 'epanadiplosis' or, 'encircling', where you have the repetition of the same word or words at the beginning and the end of a sentence. When this figure is used, it marks what is said as being comprised in one complete circle, thus calling our attention to its solemnity; giving completeness to the statement that is made, or to the truth enumerated, thus marking and emphasising it's importance. In this case the emphasis appears to be upon the words, 'all that are Israelites born' along with the necessity that they dwell in booths, the reason for it being to emphasise to the generations that follow the fact that God made those whom He delivered from Egypt to dwell in booths. These were not permanent dwellings, symbolising (perhaps) that they themselves were strangers and sojourners in the land, they were to remember that like God Himself, they were indeed only sojourning, not taking up permanent residence. (Nehemiah 8:13-18).

* We too are sojourners are we not. For this world is not our home, and as in the words of that old 'spiritual' song,
'we are just a'passing through'.

* Another reference where this 'encircling' occurs, which I love, is in Galatians 2:20, which is lost in the translation of the KJV, in the Greek it reads, 'Christ, I have been crucified together with, yet I live: and yet it is no longer I that live, but in me, Christ.' What a perfect little 'nut-shell' this is, isn't it? What a complete statement this is! Praise God! - The Holy Spirit intends that this should be encapsulated, and emphasised, so He uses this figure to catch our eye and establish it's truth in our hearts.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This comes to mind, being this begins at home, then "partaken in by the larger community"...

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
[2] A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
[3] Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
[4] One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
[5] (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

[6] Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
[7] Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
[8] Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
[9] Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

[10] And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
[11] Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
[12] Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

God bless!
Thank you, @user,

As you can see, by my previous post, I am trying already to derail the subject of this thread, but I did enjoy it. :)

Your use of this Scripture is very appropriate, and I thank you for it. It does illustrate the point very well. What an important lesson it teaches!

Thank you so much for taking the time to enter it.
Your sister in Christ
Chris

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook;
That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths,
I am the LORD your God.

Hi @Nancy,

I apologise for this deviation, but, looking at Leviticus 23:40-44 above, and looking in the book, ' Figures of Speech Found in Scripture,' I discovered that there are two figures used there, in the verses I have highlighted (above). In verse 40, it is a figure called, 'Pleonasm' or 'Redundancy' where more words are used than the grammar requires. It is used by the Holy Spirit to fill up the sense which without them would be incomplete and imperfect, and emphasises by amplification. The words, 'And ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God' - literally says:- 'before the face of the Lord your God', - meaning that is: - in His very presence. Which is wonderful, don't you think?

* Then in verse 42, (highlighted) it is a figure called, 'epanadiplosis' or, 'encircling', where you have the repetition of the same word or words at the beginning and the end of a sentence. When this figure is used, it marks what is said as being comprised in one complete circle, thus calling our attention to its solemnity; giving completeness to the statement that is made, or to the truth enumerated, thus marking and emphasising it's importance. In this case the emphasis appears to be upon the words, 'all that are Israelites born' along with the necessity that they dwell in booths, the reason for it being to emphasise to the generations that follow the fact that God made those whom He delivered from Egypt to dwell in booths. These were not permanent dwellings, symbolising (perhaps) that they themselves were strangers and sojourners in the land, they were to remember that like God Himself, they were indeed only sojourning, not taking up permanent residence. (Nehemiah 8:13-18).

* We too are sojourners are we not. For this world is not our home, and as in the words of that old 'spiritual' song,

* Another reference where this 'encircling' occurs, which I love, is in Galatians 2:20, which is lost in the translation of the KJV, in the Greek it reads, 'Christ, I have been crucified together with, yet I live: and yet it is no longer I that live, but in me, Christ.' What a perfect little 'nut-shell' this is, isn't it? What a complete statement this is! Praise God! - The Holy Spirit intends that this should be encapsulated, and emphasised, so He uses this figure to catch our eye and establish it's truth in our hearts.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Oh the deep things of God! What I get so far (be patient with me, lol) is that the "booths" are still in effect for us Christians today...we need to remember whence WE came out of also. God sustains us as we continually seek Him in prayer and fellowship. Feast of tabernacles - a joyful manifestation of Gods own presence...this I liken to not forsaking the gathering? Alone time meditating on His Word daily?
You do have great insight, yet I can only understand some as, I can't see us blowing trumpets on Rosh Hashanah, lol.
Good word.

Reactions: Helen and charity

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi there,

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Provoking indeed!

:)

I believe in arranging my home and my office and car and every environment I control with Scripture everywhere, and Godly music, and audio Bible, and Godly conversation.

Much love!

Reactions: charity and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am the LORD your God.

Hi @Nancy,

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

"Here in the body pent
Absent from Him I roam,
Yet nightly pitch my moving tent
A day's march nearer home."

Reactions: charity