Is baptism required before a person can receive communion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible does not assert that but I think it assumes that.

As soon as a person believes in Jesus' death on the cross for his sins, he should quickly get baptized. Belief and baptism go hand in hand together. What's he waiting for? Get baptized and participate at the Lord's table.

It is a good rule of thumb but I would not be dogmatic about it. I would relax the rule for the person who has a working plan to get baptized.

If a church requires membership before a person can receive communion, then I'd go to another church.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

As soon as a person believes in Jesus' death on the cross for his sins, he should quickly get baptized. Belief and baptism go hand in hand together. What's he waiting for? Get baptized and participate at the Lord's table.

It is a good rule of thumb but I would not be dogmatic about it. I would relax the rule for the person who has a working plan to get baptized.

If a church requires membership before a person can receive communion, then I'd go to another church.
I think I proper understanding of both baptism and communion is required.

Baptism is a ritualistic initiation. Back in those days, all mystery schools had some form of initiation.

With communion all we need to do is break down the word. "Comm" meaning "together" and "union" meaning "as one". Coming together as one. Communion is coming together as one with a higher conciousness... or God. Alot of mystery schools back in the day as well as the Sharman's would perform what's called an "active communion" which is a communion where the participants take a hallucinogenic. Hallucinogenics are used as a tool to commune with higher forms of conciousness. They bring us out of worldly thought and deteriorate the ego.

So weather you do these rituals or not is up to you. It makes no difference since the Christian Communion is not an active one, it's strictly a ritual.

Rituals have some benefits on the subconscious mind as the subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between what is being acted out and what is real. BUT one must understand the true meaning and symbology of the ritual for it to have any affect.

Unfortunately, 99% of the Christian community cannot read or understand symbols like the ancients did, therefore both rituals and scripture continue to stay obscure.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I think I proper understanding of both baptism and communion is required.

Baptism is a ritualistic initiation. Back in those days, all mystery schools had some form of initiation.

With communion all we need to do is break down the word. "Comm" meaning "together" and "union" meaning "as one". Coming together as one. Communion is coming together as one with a higher conciousness... or God. Alot of mystery schools back in the day as well as the Sharman's would perform what's called an "active communion" which is a communion where the participants take a hallucinogenic. Hallucinogenics are used as a tool to commune with higher forms of conciousness. They bring us out of worldly thought and deteriorate the ego.

So weather you do these rituals or not is up to you. It makes no difference since the Christian Communion is not an active one, it's strictly a ritual.

Rituals have some benefits on the subconscious mind as the subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between what is being acted out and what is real. BUT one must understand the true meaning and symbology of the ritual for it to have any affect.

Unfortunately, 99% of the Christian community cannot read or understand symbols like the ancients did, therefore both rituals and scripture continue to stay obs
That's not what the word "Communion" means. This is just what it has become through ignorance and lack of understanding.

Mind you, not everything in the dictionary holds true.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mind you, not everything in the dictionary holds true.
I just defined the term communion in my OP as a ceremony in the Christian Church during which people eat bread and drink wine in memory of the last meal that Christ had with his disciples

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just defined the term communion in my OP as a ceremony in the Christian Church during which people eat bread and drink wine in memory of the last meal that Christ had with his disciples
What I'm saying is, that's not what it means really.

The etymology of the word itself tells us exactly what it means.

Anyone can give anything there own meaning but the word itself never lies.

"Com" meaning "together" or "coming together".

"Union" meaning "unity" or "as one".

"Holy" meaning "whole".

Holy Communion - coming together as a "whole", "as one" or as a unity.

Comming together with what? In the Christian sence that is Christ. We are coming together with Christ. In a broad sence it means coming together and unifying with something higher than yourself.

The word Communion or does not belong to Christianity. However it is used within Christianity and many other things.

Once again, just because something tells you something, doesn't always mean it's correct. With words we can find the correct answer through etymology.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I'm saying is, that's not what it means really.
Feel free to open up another OP for that discussion. For this OP, I defined the term communion as a ceremony in the Christian Church during which people eat bread and drink wine in memory of the last meal that Christ had with his disciples.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Anything that hinders the spiritual life of Christianity in the name of religion is Legalism. Various holidays and ceremonies can serve well to enable us to remember important elements in our Christian walk. Weekly church attendance, reciting creeds, the Communion, and Baptism all help in this way but are not a crucial part of Salvation.

Water Baptism *depicts* what Salvation is, and how we are Saved. We are Saved when the waters of God's word offers us the Life of Christ--we have only to receive it and choose to live by it. Water Baptism symbolizes the death of our old independent Man and our springing into New Life in Christ, as we come up out of the water. Water depicts the purifying nature of God's word as he invites us to be regenerated into New People.

We may have to put up with a little Legalism in church because there are all levels of maturity and immaturity, obedience and disobedience among God's People. But we have to be patient, kind, and loving. We needed it. Others need it.

Reactions: TonyChanYT