Is cussing a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 5:37

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Reactions: amadeus

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, that's curious. Could you elaborate on the difference between cuss words and swear words?

I notice a young man in the prayer forum has an issue with making frivolous oaths, which is another meaning of the word "swearing". There is also the stricter meaning of the term "cursing", meaning to put a curse on somebody, to wish someone ill fate.
Exodus 20:7

7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Matthew 5:34-37

34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

The above, swearing or taking an oath as opposed to common, everyday cussing or cuss words, i.e.; s--t, damn, a--hole, etc.