Is drinking (coffee, coke, beer, wine, alcohol) sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(ForYou;45665)
I see no more sin in this than I do drinking milk. If you are addicted then I can see where it would be.
God is a God of 'can does'. We have made Him a God of 'can't does' with our denominations. As ForYou said it would only be a sin for you if you were addicted to it.

iamYours

Oct 8, 2007
As long as you can take control of yourself, that's ok, but remember that many people think they can manage to escape from the temptation of Satan, yet many failed to do it. Let's live our lives as living sacrifices for His glory.
smile.gif

bondsemerson

Mar 22, 2008
I think the sin with alcohol is after you drink to much where you cant walk in a stright line,or stand up stright...I am sure there is no Sin in having couple of cans of beer with a few friends..And besides what fun is it anyway when you cant walk in a stright line or even stand up...

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
So we have established that none of these are a sin. Soda is not a sin, coffee is not a sin, alchohol is not a sin if they are all taken in moderation. Though all are dangerous, soda and coffee both have the potential to become addicting. I can personally vouch for that. I drink sooo much soda, you wouldn't even believe me if I told you how much I might have on a saturday afternoon. Its gotten so bad to the point that if I don't have a soda all day, in the late afternoon my body just goes into like withdrawl or something. My hands shake terribly and I have trouble writing in school and other such things and i get extremely jumpy and nervous. Which is really strange as these are all symptoms of an extreme sugar rush and I get it from lack of. But I am trying to drink more water as of...yesterday
smile.gif
It has also had a terrible effect on my physical abilities. I have always been extremely athletic and I still am. Only thing is my endurance is almost non-existant. I inherited my dads body type and was never meant to be a runner, he holds almost 6 american drug-free powerlifting records, so I am built short and muscular but even so it is ridiculous that i can't run more than 200m without breathing heavily. So although soda is not a sin, it can have a terrible effect on your health. And the bible tells us that we are to take care of our bodies. Same thing goes for alchohol, its not a sin as long as its taken in moderation. But absolutely NOTHING good comes from drinking alchohol, though there are plenty of bad things that can happen as a result of drinking it. So I really see no reason to drink it.But just like everyone else said, its not a sin as long as taken in moderation. But all of these have ill effects that result in sin so be careful!

HeSavedMe

Aug 24, 2008
You know... I was wondering about the beer thing. Having grown up with a family of beer drinkers, I struggled with this question after I accepted Christ as my Lord. In 1990 I decided to lay it down and pick up the cross instead. I didn't pick up a drink of it after that... until 3 weeks ago when my husband and I went to a baseball game. I felt like I was sinning, even though I didn't get drunk like the others sitting around us did. Well, then hubby ended up on two different occasions, buying some and putting it in a cooler for me and hiding it in the shed so I could have it later in the evenings. I felt HORRIBLE hiding it from our kids! I finally told them about it and how it helped me relax and sleep at night (just by drinking 1 or 2). I am extremely sensitive to most medications since my emergency surgery back in '84 threw me into what doctors felt was pre-Lupus state, as well as my Thyroid going out last year... so I'm very limited on both antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds, over the counter meds, so the beer seemed to be the "answer" to my pain issues. Well, I decided that "I was the adult and could have it in my home" so I remember when I poured one in a plastic cup and drank it while they were in the room. I told them what I was doing... I guess because I wanted to see their reaction and measure it. They watched me very closely. I could sense in them, something that I remembered in me as a child and it shook me to the core.* You see... my Mom's dad (when she was growing up) physically abused her because of his drinking. When you hide under a bed while he swings at you with a broom... something is wrong. That left my Mom emotionally wounded.* She ended up marrying someone just like him, though. My dad drank all the time, even trying to strangle my Mom in more than one instance. He had affairs right under her nose. He died in a traffic accident while with 3 other men, all of whom were driving while intoxicated. That left my Mom as a widow.* Still my Mom viewed that "chaos" and "strife" as something NORMAL I guess, so of course she was be-friended by our mailman and later started dating him. My Mom's boyfriend of 38 years drank heavily. He was a government worker, so he made quite a bit of money and made sure my Mom and I had everything we needed or wanted. He also abused me.... and my Mom, leaving us both walking on eggshells all the time. We couldn't even go visit my dad's grave because it would make him angry. He finally died a very lonely man not long after I talked my Mom into coming and living with my husband and myself.* At my Mom's funeral in 2002, I watched as all her sisters and brothers and their kids drank and I felt that same feeling I always felt when I was growing up... nausea, fear, confusion.I talked to our kids the next day after I spent most of the morning seeking the Lord. He woke me up early and led me to research the origin of Beer. I honestly thought that it was made by the early settlers. Not so.... Its origins trace back to the "Hymn of Ninkasi" a prayer to the Mesopotamian Goddess of Beer. Her name means "to satisfy the desire" and "sate the heart". She was born of "sparkling fresh water". She was one of 8 children created in order to heal on of the eight wounds that Enki receives.Her father was Enki, whose name means "Lord of the Earth" and literal translations mean "to engender", "to shape", and he was the deity of crafts (= gasam). Her mother was Ninti which means "lady of life" or "lady of the rib". Since Eve is called "mother of life" in the Genesis, together with being taken from Adam's rib, they believe the story of Adam and Eve has been taken to derive from that of Ninti!!It goes on to tell more, but for me... THIS was revelation from God in how these stories and meanings are the Counterfeit for God (Enki), Counterfeit for Eve, creation, and re-directing us to look to Beer for satisfying our heart and desire (Ninti). The Word of God is "Living Water", not anything like Ninkasi. From what I know as a Christian, there is only ONE true God. Adam and Eve were created by God. And God's Word and God Himself are to satisfy our hearts and desires. I can see how the alcohol in Beer inner-twines here. Alcoholic binges usually lead to promiscuous behavior. From the meanings above, it makes sense that all their meanings point to satisfying desires and creating life (sex). It was a real eye-opener for me personally and I wasted not time in throwing the beer in the dumpster and sitting down with my kids and sharing what I found. I still beat myself up over it all, but sometimes you need a real eye-opener to shake you to the core. After knowing all the damage it has done to my family, you'd think I'd avoid it like the plague. But there is a spirit attached to it, just like any other thing that tries to control your life and I simply don't want any part of it. But this is MY personal thing... others may feel entirely different, and feel they can handle it all. I can't.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(HeSavedMe;57895)
You know... I was wondering about the beer thing. Having grown up with a family of beer drinkers, I struggled with this question after I accepted Christ as my Lord. In 1990 I decided to lay it down and pick up the cross instead. I didn't pick up a drink of it after that... until 3 weeks ago when my husband and I went to a baseball game. I felt like I was sinning, even though I didn't get drunk like the others sitting around us did. Well, then hubby ended up on two different occasions, buying some and putting it in a cooler for me and hiding it in the shed so I could have it later in the evenings. I felt HORRIBLE hiding it from our kids! I finally told them about it and how it helped me relax and sleep at night (just by drinking 1 or 2). I am extremely sensitive to most medications since my emergency surgery back in '84 threw me into what doctors felt was pre-Lupus state, as well as my Thyroid going out last year... so I'm very limited on both antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds, over the counter meds, so the beer seemed to be the "answer" to my pain issues. Well, I decided that "I was the adult and could have it in my home" so I remember when I poured one in a plastic cup and drank it while they were in the room. I told them what I was doing... I guess because I wanted to see their reaction and measure it. They watched me very closely. I could sense in them, something that I remembered in me as a child and it shook me to the core.* You see... my Mom's dad (when she was growing up) physically abused her because of his drinking. When you hide under a bed while he swings at you with a broom... something is wrong. That left my Mom emotionally wounded.* She ended up marrying someone just like him, though. My dad drank all the time, even trying to strangle my Mom in more than one instance. He had affairs right under her nose. He died in a traffic accident while with 3 other men, all of whom were driving while intoxicated. That left my Mom as a widow.* Still my Mom viewed that "chaos" and "strife" as something NORMAL I guess, so of course she was be-friended by our mailman and later started dating him. My Mom's boyfriend of 38 years drank heavily. He was a government worker, so he made quite a bit of money and made sure my Mom and I had everything we needed or wanted. He also abused me.... and my Mom, leaving us both walking on eggshells all the time. We couldn't even go visit my dad's grave because it would make him angry. He finally died a very lonely man not long after I talked my Mom into coming and living with my husband and myself.* At my Mom's funeral in 2002, I watched as all her sisters and brothers and their kids drank and I felt that same feeling I always felt when I was growing up... nausea, fear, confusion.I talked to our kids the next day after I spent most of the morning seeking the Lord. He woke me up early and led me to research the origin of Beer. I honestly thought that it was made by the early settlers. Not so.... Its origins trace back to the "Hymn of Ninkasi" a prayer to the Mesopotamian Goddess of Beer. Her name means "to satisfy the desire" and "sate the heart". She was born of "sparkling fresh water". She was one of 8 children created in order to heal on of the eight wounds that Enki receives.Her father was Enki, whose name means "Lord of the Earth" and literal translations mean "to engender", "to shape", and he was the deity of crafts (= gasam). Her mother was Ninti which means "lady of life" or "lady of the rib". Since Eve is called "mother of life" in the Genesis, together with being taken from Adam's rib, they believe the story of Adam and Eve has been taken to derive from that of Ninti!!It goes on to tell more, but for me... THIS was revelation from God in how these stories and meanings are the Counterfeit for God (Enki), Counterfeit for Eve, creation, and re-directing us to look to Beer for satisfying our heart and desire (Ninti). The Word of God is "Living Water", not anything like Ninkasi. From what I know as a Christian, there is only ONE true God. Adam and Eve were created by God. And God's Word and God Himself are to satisfy our hearts and desires. I can see how the alcohol in Beer inner-twines here. Alcoholic binges usually lead to promiscuous behavior. From the meanings above, it makes sense that all their meanings point to satisfying desires and creating life (sex). It was a real eye-opener for me personally and I wasted not time in throwing the beer in the dumpster and sitting down with my kids and sharing what I found. I still beat myself up over it all, but sometimes you need a real eye-opener to shake you to the core. After knowing all the damage it has done to my family, you'd think I'd avoid it like the plague. But there is a spirit attached to it, just like any other thing that tries to control your life and I simply don't want any part of it. But this is MY personal thing... others may feel entirely different, and feel they can handle it all. I can't.
I'm one of them that grew up in a family that drinks beer. I never drank a beer, but wine twice.I Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.Remember that Christ turn water into wine? (John 2:1-11)Everything is not a sin, but everything can be a sin. It is OKAY to drink beer in moderation. In fact everything should be done in moderation, not in excess. Excess leads to drunkness.I Corinthians 6:9-10 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.But hey, like you said, if you can't handle it... then I advise you NOT to do it. To me, it's a great thing not to do it...but a little alcohol won't hurt for health benefit.
smile.gif

HeSavedMe

Aug 24, 2008
Thank you for the input!I feel better having going ahead and writing (or typing LOL) it out and asked for some advice. Like I said, the origin of it is what kinda shook me up I guess. And like you, for the most part, I am happy being WITHOUT it. But if I'm between a rock and a hard place as far as not being able to take medicine for the pain... I'll opt for a drink LOL. It also works on passing a kidney stone fairly quickly and pain free since it flushes the kidneys in a very strong way.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(Shan Missions;32393)
Some Christians said that drinking coffee is sin because it has caffein in it, drinking coke is sin because it has some addictive substance in it, drinking beer and wine is sin because it has alcohol in it and drinking alcohol is sin becasue it makes people drunk.What do you think?I am just a learner.Jeremiah 25:27-2927 "Then tell them, 'This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.' 28 But if they refuse to take the cup from your hand and drink, tell them, 'This is what the LORD Almighty says: You must drink it! 29 See, I am beginning to bring disaster on the city that bears my Name, and will you indeed go unpunished? You will not go unpunished, for I am calling down a sword upon all who live on the earth, declares the LORD Almighty.' NIVEphesians 5:1818 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. NIVGenesis 9:20-2120 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.NIVLeviticus 11:33-34 34 Any food that could be eaten but has water on it from such a pot is unclean, and any liquid that could be drunk from it is unclean. NIVSong of Solomon 5:1I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride;I have gathered my myrrh with my spice.I have eaten my honeycomb and my honey;I have drunk my wine and my milk. NIVJohn 2:8-98 Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. NIVRomans 14:2121 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. NIV1 Timothy 3:88 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine , and not pursuing dishonest gain. NIV1 Timothy 5:2323 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses. NIVTitus 2:33 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine , but to teach what is good. NIV
Shan Missions, As can easily be seen by the scriptures you have quoted, There is nothing wrong with drinking intoxicating drinks. The Biblical prohibition is against getting drunk, over drinking! If a scientist studied our foods, he could find something dangerous in any food we eat. What we must think about is God's thinking on the matter. Consider 1Tim 4:1-5, which says that all foods are good to eat, because they are sanctified by prayer over them. Jesus said something similar at Mark 7:19. Paul also made several other points about foods, 1Cor 8:8, Rom 14:14,15,20,23. Under the Mosaic Law Covenant many foods that we eat today were prohibited, some under the penalty of death. After the death of Jesus the Old Mosaic Law Covenant ended. No longer are we to reject foods because of those laws, Col 2:13,14. James also made a point about, not just foods, but anything we do, James 4:17

Jeanette

Aug 18, 2008
I don't think there's anything wrong with a Christian drinking or smoking ciggarrette, sorry, but I don't. I do think it's wrong to be getting drunk though and it's not the greatest witness but, then again, I know people who told me some seeds were planted about Christ while they sat in a bar talking to a Christian friend.Jeannette

HeSavedMe

Aug 24, 2008
I think where I was having my questions was the beer versus wine thing. It mentions wine in the Bible, like you said. When you do a wine study, the origins aren't as questionable as the beer ones... at least not what I found. I guess when you go over all that was in the beer background and all the false gods they created it for, and compare them to our Only True God... that's where those of us that walk in the Spirit kinda start questioning if it's worse than wine??

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(HeSavedMe;58403)
I think where I was having my questions was the beer versus wine thing. It mentions wine in the Bible, like you said. When you do a wine study, the origins aren't as questionable as the beer ones... at least not what I found. I guess when you go over all that was in the beer background and all the false gods they created it for, and compare them to our Only True God... that's where those of us that walk in the Spirit kinda start questioning if it's worse than wine??
Well beer and wine are both alcohol... remember as long it is NOT done in excess, you will be fine... but I wouldn't do it excess though...I only drank wine twice...