Is Easter Biblical

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jon-Marc;38397)
(thesuperjag;38111)
Easter is what God hates due to the fact it is a pagan holiday, It is common sense that God hates everything pagan.Jag
Why is remembering and celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ "pagan"? Does that mean you believe His death and burial to be pagan too, or maybe you don't believe that He rose from the tomb?As I said, without His resurrection we would have no hope. His resurrection is definitely worth celebrating, for without it we would still be lost in our sins--forever. Without the resurrection it would mean that the Father didn't accept His death as sufficient payment for our redemption.Those of you who consider the resurrection of Jesus Christ to be pagan can just ignore Easter (or whatever one wants to call it). We generally call it Resurrection Sunday. I praise God for the resurrection of Jesus Christ! As far as I know, the Bible doesn't mention any of the holidays people celebrate. Maybe we should eliminate all of them. Then no one would have a three day weekend to enjoy.Christ is our Passover Lamb... not a Easter. I want people to show me scriptures saying that Easter is a resurrection of Jesus. Otherwise I will not believe it...JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Jag, please let me ask for clarification. Is the problem that you think the word "Easter" is pagan and therefore simply using it to refer to something VERY GOOD (Resurrection) is wrong? Or is it that celebrating something VERY GOOD is wrong (because it seems to you to be uncommanded from scripture) and maybe also somehow pagan?Or is it that you think the particular date for the celebration of the Resurrection is of pagan origin and therefore wrong?

Wayne Murray

Jan 15, 2007
(DrBubbaLove;38135)
My Parish does not have bunnies, chocolate or eggs during Holy Week. We have the Passion, the Stations of the Cross, the Cross and Easter Vigil. While I could see a case for suggesting a pagan connection to bunnies and eggs, I fail to see to the connection of the Passion, Stations of the Cross, the Veneration of the Cross, Easter Vigil...etc with paganism unless one is under the grossly mistaken impression that the worship of Jesus represents a pagan activity.And even where some Churches and even Catholic Parishes do have bunnies and egg hunts, I do not think the adults are doing it, it is for the children. The harm in that if there is any at all would be if the parent makes the occasion about nothing else for the child. In a Catholic Parish that would be difficult to get away with as there is so much more going on during Holy Week that an egg hunt could not be the only focus, unless the parent totally isolated the child from all other activities (and children) which would be odd indeed.If one stands in front of the Cross and kneels just to be seen, is that any better or worse than hunting for an egg? Before one can judge a person's heart in any activity one needs to know the person's heart. Something we do not really have access to. Claiming one knows what is or is not holy based on participation of an otherwise neutral act (egg hunt) alone and not knowing the heart is not something we should be engaged in.
Fine if you are teaching Christ is our Passover. As to what you think about Easter, God already knows and I don't care.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.Does this scripture speak in this Thread?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
In all fairness, I don't think Kriss is saying that remembering and celebrating the resurrection of the Lord is pagan. The problem is that there was a pagan holiday to which Christ's name is merely stamped to it. The focus of this celebration must have its realization that it started with Passover to which the Lord fulfilled. So it does not make any sense to call it by a pagan name (Easter) and to add to it, e.g. fertility cult items such as eggs, bunnies, chicks (both the chicken and girl variety
biggrin.gif
) and whatnot.In addition, since the Passover was instituted by God's calendar, I would consider the true keeping of so-called Easter based on this calendar: Passover, Unleavened Bread and Firstfruits, not by the church's decree that it should be "the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox". That's not what God said, and that manner of calendar keeping was not what the Lord went by, either.In short, the issue is the name and the pagan customs associated with this date that usually coincidently falls on feast of Firstfruits.