Is God Listening?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 10-28-21 Cheshvan 21, 5782 5th. day of the weekly cycle, 37th. Fall Day

BIBLE VERSES LIKE JOHN Nine:31 -

Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional | Is God Listening?

Our-Daily-Bread.jpg

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional | Message By Elisa Morgan (Our daily Bread Ministries)

Click Here To Read Previous ODB Devotional Message

TOPIC| Is God Listening?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE| 1 John 5:13–15

KEY VERSE: If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. – 1 John 5:14

BIBLE IN A YEAR: Jeremiah 15–17; 2 Timothy 2

INSIGHT| In 1 John 5:14–15, we find a conditional promise for answered prayer: God hears our prayers and gives us what we ask for when “we ask anything according to his will.” To pray according to God’s will is to “ask for anything that pleases him” (nlt) or “in accord with his own plan” (J. B. Phillips).

The psalmist, painfully aware that God’s promise of answered prayer is conditioned upon a right relationship with Him, cautioned, “If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened” (Psalm 66:18). The apostle James warns that God won’t give us what we pray for when we “ask with wrong motives, that [we] may spend what [we] get on [our] pleasures” (James 4:3). A right relationship with Jesus is required:

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you” (John 15:7).

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional Message
When I served on my church’s congregational care team, one of my duties was to pray over the requests penciled on pew cards during the services. For an aunt’s health. For a couple’s finances.

For a grandson’s discovery of God. Rarely did I hear the results of these prayers. Most were anonymous, and I had no way of knowing how God had responded. I confess that at times I wondered, Was He really listening? Was anything happening as a result of my prayers?

Over our lifetimes, most of us question, “Does God hear me?” I remember my own Hannah-like pleas for a child that went unanswered for years. And there were my pleas that my father find faith, yet he died without any apparent confession.

Etched across the millennia are myriad instances of God’s ear bending to listen: to Israel’s groans under slavery (Exodus 2:24); to Moses on Mount Sinai (Deuteronomy 9:19); to Joshua at Gilgal (Joshua 10:14); to Hannah’s prayers for a child (1 Samuel 1:10–17); to David crying out for deliverance from Saul (2 Samuel 22:7).

First John 5:14 crescendos, “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” The word for “hears” means to pay attention and to respond on the basis of having heard.

As we go to God today, may we have the confidence of His listening ear spanning the history of His people. He hears our pleas.

REFLECT| Pause to consider what you’ve most recently asked of God. What motivated you to ask? How can you know that God hears you?

PRAY| Father, I come asking and trusting You to hear me because You say that You do.

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional Message. Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODB) is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 600 employees. It produces several devotional publications, including Our Daily Bread.

(Visited 120 times, 120 visits today)
Tags: our Daily Bread 2021

Our Daily Bread (odb.org)

https://odb.org/video

LOL, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As we go to God today, may we have the confidence of His listening ear spanning the history of His people. He hears our pleas.

REFLECT| Pause to consider what you’ve most recently asked of God. What motivated you to ask? How can you know that God hears you?

PRAY| Father, I come asking and trusting You to hear me because You say that You do.
I think the abuses of the prosperity gospel movements have ruined prayer for the church.
They took real truths of the Bible and abused them to the point that we don't believe they are truths. In recent years I've been discovering the truths about prayer and having the confidence and faith to make requests of God. And how to posture yourself to have that confidence and faith.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the abuses of the prosperity gospel movements have ruined prayer for the church.
They took real truths of the Bible and abused them to the point that we don't believe they are truths. In recent years I've been discovering the truths about prayer and having the confidence and faith to make requests of God. And how to posture yourself to have that confidence and faith.

Ruined prayer for the whole church? Ouch. There do seem to be unhealthy extremes when it comes to prayer. For example, believing God always says yes and believing God always says no.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ruined prayer for the whole church? Ouch. There do seem to be unhealthy extremes when it comes to prayer. For example, believing God always says yes and believing God always says no.
I think too many in the church think there are things we can not ask God to fulfill. And I think it's because we've all seen the abuses of knucklehead prosperity gospel believers making self-centered requests to make their lives easy and comfortable. It quiets the prayers of those who really do need personal attention from God but think they can't ask God for that because some joker in the church is asking God for a convenient parking space at the mall.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thursday 10-28-21 Cheshvan 21, 5782 5th. day of the weekly cycle, 37th. Fall Day

BIBLE VERSES LIKE JOHN Nine:31 -

Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional | Is God Listening?

Our-Daily-Bread.jpg

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional | Message By Elisa Morgan (Our daily Bread Ministries)

Click Here To Read Previous ODB Devotional Message

TOPIC| Is God Listening?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE| 1 John 5:13–15

KEY VERSE: If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. – 1 John 5:14

BIBLE IN A YEAR: Jeremiah 15–17; 2 Timothy 2

INSIGHT| In 1 John 5:14–15, we find a conditional promise for answered prayer: God hears our prayers and gives us what we ask for when “we ask anything according to his will.” To pray according to God’s will is to “ask for anything that pleases him” (nlt) or “in accord with his own plan” (J. B. Phillips).

The psalmist, painfully aware that God’s promise of answered prayer is conditioned upon a right relationship with Him, cautioned, “If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened” (Psalm 66:18). The apostle James warns that God won’t give us what we pray for when we “ask with wrong motives, that [we] may spend what [we] get on [our] pleasures” (James 4:3). A right relationship with Jesus is required:

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you” (John 15:7).

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional Message
When I served on my church’s congregational care team, one of my duties was to pray over the requests penciled on pew cards during the services. For an aunt’s health. For a couple’s finances.

For a grandson’s discovery of God. Rarely did I hear the results of these prayers. Most were anonymous, and I had no way of knowing how God had responded. I confess that at times I wondered, Was He really listening? Was anything happening as a result of my prayers?

Over our lifetimes, most of us question, “Does God hear me?” I remember my own Hannah-like pleas for a child that went unanswered for years. And there were my pleas that my father find faith, yet he died without any apparent confession.

Etched across the millennia are myriad instances of God’s ear bending to listen: to Israel’s groans under slavery (Exodus 2:24); to Moses on Mount Sinai (Deuteronomy 9:19); to Joshua at Gilgal (Joshua 10:14); to Hannah’s prayers for a child (1 Samuel 1:10–17); to David crying out for deliverance from Saul (2 Samuel 22:7).

First John 5:14 crescendos, “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” The word for “hears” means to pay attention and to respond on the basis of having heard.

Our Daily Bread Today 28 October 2021 Devotional Message. Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODB) is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 600 employees. It produces several devotional publications, including Our Daily Bread.

(Visited 120 times, 120 visits today)
Tags: our Daily Bread 2021

Our Daily Bread (odb.org)

https://odb.org/video

LOL, Walter and Debbie
Like a hawk!

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think too many in the church think there are things we can not ask God to fulfill. And I think it's because we've all seen the abuses of knucklehead prosperity gospel believers making self-centered requests to make their lives easy and comfortable. It quiets the prayers of those who really do need personal attention from God but think they can't ask God for that because some joker in the church is asking God for a convenient parking space at the mall.

It's hard to see to the needs of the sheep when there are so many goats.