Is it acceptable to question your faith?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(zadzial;46304)
I use to think like your wife does, until I read "According to Plan" by Graeme Goldworthy. It really brought the Old Testament alive for me. To have someone explain clearly how everything in the Old Testament points directly to Jesus was really an eye opener for me. I recommend that book to anyone struggling to understand the Old Testament.
Thank you I will have to look for that for her.

sexymadison69

Apr 15, 2008
(RobinD69;46248)
You must interprit the Bible with the Bible and try to understand from Gods perfect perspective rather than mans imperfect selfish perspective. The contradictions are easily explained if one is willing to examine the entire Bible rather than a few select verses. It is perfectly fine to question ones faith, it encourages one to study and dig deeper. Ofcourse not all Christians are going to completely agree depending on ones level of understandind or ones walk with the Lord. My wife stays in the NT because she has difficulty with the OT, she still believes the OT to be the word of God, she just doesnt completely understand Gods perspective in the OT. Please share your doubts, there are plenty here who would be more than happy to address them.
But why? If God has given us a brain why give us a scripture that goes against it? Why give us a moral code that Paul talks abuot inside us, and then fill the bible full of instances where this doesn't apply.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_contradictionsIt's full of contradictions. Yes some of them are given 'answers' but of course, the christian community isn't going to allow contradictions so they explain away everything. The answers aren't acceptable to me.The Christian Religion/Faith is based entirely on the words of the bible. So for me to see if it's truely God, I need to examine the bible, it's history and compare it's internal consistancy and also how the stories line up with other historical documents. I have no reason to believe the bible over other documents, but if all the information in the bible does line up, then to follow the God of the bible does make sense. If I didn't know God, and found both the bible and the quran, and read them both, how would I know which one to follow, if any? By doing research on them. Obviously to listen to the respective christian or muslim groups I'd end up with 2 sets of information, one set pointing towards christianity and vice versa. Which one would I listen to?I'm doing a similar thing, I have the bible, God "speaks" through it, but to see if it is really God or just a bunch of old texts from an old desert tribe, I need to research it. So far it's not coming up in favour of the bible.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(RobinD69;46248)
You must interprit the Bible with the Bible and try to understand from Gods perfect perspective rather than mans imperfect selfish perspective. The contradictions are easily explained if one is willing to examine the entire Bible rather than a few select verses. It is perfectly fine to question ones faith, it encourages one to study and dig deeper. Ofcourse not all Christians are going to completely agree depending on ones level of understandind or ones walk with the Lord. My wife stays in the NT because she has difficulty with the OT, she still believes the OT to be the word of God, she just doesnt completely understand Gods perspective in the OT. Please share your doubts, there are plenty here who would be more than happy to address them.
Absoulty right RobinI think the largest majority of christians at one time in their life thought the very same way we may have belived in God, but all of us had parts of the bible we didnt/dont understand or wondered if were true or men had caused coruptions to it , many couldnt understand what seemed to be contradictory. Thats all pretty normal espically to a new Christian What people like Madison do not get is you are then faced with two choices you either. Trust in God and study in which case you understand more and more and realize the contradictions were your lack of understanding Not Gods Word Or you whine and complain and want somebody else to try to explain everything to you while you put forth no effort with no faith without even an open mind/heart to it. When you just want to prove that you dont get it so everyone else is wrong type attitude.When I see Miss Madison want to ask serious questions and want to really learn something, instead of looking for reasons not to have any faith or believe. And just use facts not in evidence as her reasoning I will be happy to help her as I am sure the rest of you will. But as of this moment I see no effort from her what so ever. You can not drag a person to God you can only plant a seed.They must make the effortShe makes statements like its full of contradictions, Yet cant even tell you one of course she'' scour the internet to find oneWell I been studing it for many years and I find NO contradictions, only our lack to understand something so. So this tells me she is using the typical cop out of men without really having a clue what she is talking about. She not asking a question, are there contradictions ? she is making a statement of her opinion. We know different because we did the Work,she is not willing to do. And we all know without Gods Wisdom to help us along we wouldnt understand anything so until she wants to ask for some wisdom. And be willing to do the work to learn or to at least have a willing heartTheres not alot we can do except pray for her.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(sexymadison69;46402)
But why? If God has given us a brain why give us a scripture that goes against it? Why give us a moral code that Paul talks abuot inside us, and then fill the bible full of instances where this doesn't apply.Actually the scripture doesnt go against the brain, but its the other way around. Sin causes our brains to rebel against God because we are stupid enough to think we are smarter than God. The moral law doesnt apply if you dont break it and it is also useless because we cannot conform to it entirely, therefor we need a Savior because we are too lazy or too rebelious to be capable of saving ourselves. Our most righteous acts are still not good enough for many reasons. The grace of God is what saves us and we receive that grace thru faith and then the works of God follow.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_contradictionsIt's full of contradictions. Yes some of them are given 'answers' but of course, the christian community isn't going to allow contradictions so they explain away everything. The answers aren't acceptable to me.Then perhaps you need to run those contradictions past a few of us. We have no reason to lie to you and many of us have access to concordances as well as original language interlinier interpritations. We would be very willing to help.The Christian Religion/Faith is based entirely on the words of the bible.Sorry but this statement is not entirely true. In order to properly understand the Bible as God wishes us to, we must have a personal relationship with Christ. I know this sounds like a cop out, but it is the only way to trully understand the scriptures. Another words the Holy Spirit is a major basis for our faith. So for me to see if it's truely God, I need to examine the bible, it's history and compare it's internal consistancy and also how the stories line up with other historical documents. I have no reason to believe the bible over other documents, but if all the information in the bible does line up, then to follow the God of the bible does make sense. Well there is no legitimate historical contraversy between the Bible and actual historic event. As a matter of fact there are many archeological discoveries turning up on a daily basis confirming more and more of the Bible. Much of this information is not known to the general public because the secular world doesnt want it known.If I didn't know God, and found both the bible and the quran, and read them both, how would I know which one to follow, if any?You will find that the Quran has many contraversies with history. It denys the death of Christ which is documented in secular writings. By doing research on them. Obviously to listen to the respective christian or muslim groups I'd end up with 2 sets of information, one set pointing towards christianity and vice versa. Which one would I listen to?As you said, research the history of both outside of either.I'm doing a similar thing, I have the bible, God "speaks" through it, but to see if it is really God or just a bunch of old texts from an old desert tribe, I need to research it. So far it's not coming up in favour of the bible.
Please share this research, I am very interested.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(kriss;46457)
Absoulty right RobinI think the largest majority of christians at one time in their life thought the very same way we may have belived in God, but all of us had parts of the bible we didnt/dont understand or wondered if were true or men had caused coruptions to it , many couldnt understand what seemed to be contradictory. Thats all pretty normal espically to a new Christian What people like Madison do not get is you are then faced with two choices you either. Trust in God and study in which case you understand more and more and realize the contradictions were your lack of understanding Not Gods Word Or you whine and complain and want somebody else to try to explain everything to you while you put forth no effort with no faith without even an open mind/heart to it. When you just want to prove that you dont get it so everyone else is wrong type attitude.When I see Miss Madison want to ask serious questions and want to really learn something, instead of looking for reasons not to have any faith or believe. And just use facts not in evidence as her reasoning I will be happy to help her as I am sure the rest of you will. But as of this moment I see no effort from her what so ever. You can not drag a person to God you can only plant a seed.They must make the effortShe makes statements like its full of contradictions, Yet cant even tell you one of course she'' scour the internet to find oneWell I been studing it for many years and I find NO contradictions, only our lack to understand something so. So this tells me she is using the typical cop out of men without really having a clue what she is talking about. She not asking a question, are there contradictions ? she is making a statement of her opinion. We know different because we did the Work,she is not willing to do. And we all know without Gods Wisdom to help us along we wouldnt understand anything so until she wants to ask for some wisdom. And be willing to do the work to learn or to at least have a willing heartTheres not alot we can do except pray for her.
Yes you are correct, this is why I am asking for the information she is using so possibly I could help. And I know if she shares the information that there are many here who would love to investigate it and give concise rebuttle or confirmation for the information.