Is it alright for Christians to get tattoos and body piercing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus referred to something similar when he spoke about what a person puts in their mouth that defiles a man but what comes out of the mouth that defiles. the same can be said of tattoos. it is not what is on the outside that matters but what is on the inside that determines a person's heart. we need to remember that Jesus changed the way the law works. it now no longer works by our actions but now it works according to the intent of our heats.

God bless

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Revelation 19:16 And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Personally, I'd be surprised if it was His naked thigh, rather than on His breeches.

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
It all comes down to this........Tats and the like are an outward expression of inward rebellion. It's hard to look at some of those freaks vying for attention,which is due to a lack of attention early in life. It's a look at me thing, notice me, approve of me, love me, accept me, help me etc.

kensapp

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
"The Bible’s teaching concerning this issue is complex, not because it is somehow difficult to understand, but rather because it is a “side issue” that the Bible really does not address head on. There is one passage that seems to teach against such things, Leviticus chapter 19, verse 28, which says:

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.
However, only nine verses earlier in the same chapter (Leviticus 19:19) the people of Israel were also commanded to avoid mixing fibers in garments:

Nor shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.

Therefore, if someone chose to consider a tattoo sinful, then they would have to toss all their cotton/polyester clothing too!"

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Personally, I don't mind ink (except for Tramp Stamps). Nor do I find objectionable ear piercings... but I draw the line on other parts of the anatomy that get pierced or elongated, or even bifurcated. Purely a societal and cosmetic opinion. I agree with ken, I likes my polyester leisure suit so I will also settle for a bit of ink and bling.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Don't you think the condemnation of tattoos and piercings in the OT were actually condemnation of pagan cultures? It seems more likely to me.

If your tattoos and piercings identify you with a culture of hate, crime, or paganism; you might be angering God.

-- I gotta go with Aspen on this one. Many of the things God condemned in the O.T. were actually warnings about practicing specific things that other cultures who were enemies of the Jews were doing.

And there were two main reasons he condemned them:
1. Health related issues/concerns,
2. There were evil perversions, rituals, or activities associated with the practices, including the worship of false Gods.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I'm not sure if it says anywhere in the bible but quite a few brothers in Christ told me tattoos and body piercing are all practices done by the pagans therefore we Christians shouldn't follow their footsteps as ways to worships their idols/gods.

I guess it's OK if you get them before you met Christ. But still it's strange occasionally I see young people in pastoral ministry get tats of a cross or even bible verses on their bodies. These are just isolated cases I guess.

I got cocky with the person who informed me of this by questioning if women having pierced ears are justified and he kind of got stunned for a few seconds and says " perhaps they shouldn't? "

Lay Ho!

This issue is a very PERSONAL one. As such it is really between you and Christ. We are not subject to the Levitical laws as the one mentioned already in Lev 19:28, or if anyone think they are , then they are also subject to verse 27.
There is NOTHING in RELEVANT scripture that says tattoo's are wrong, but there is plenty about doing what Jesus wants us to do, and not causing other Christians to stumble. Take it to Jesus and pray about it. He will either give you peace about it or He won't. That will be your answer. It is no different in my mind than shaving or growing a beard. Getting your ears pierced(even for men) or dying you hair or colouring your nails or wearing makeup. I've seen some women who needed to wear a little, and some who looked like they had war paint on! I have prayed God makes this issue clear for you.
God Bless.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I have no idea if it's all right with God or not, but I find them mostly unattractive. God made the human body just as He wanted it.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I had a discussion about this with a friend of mine years ago.

His reasoning goes like this.

"You body is a temple. A church is a temple. What do people do with a church? They decorate it!"

I have tattoos and plan to get more in the future. Although, I do think tattos are stooooopid. Not a single one of us has kept the same style of clothing or even hair our entire lives. We change things all the time and will continue. It's funny to me that some of us will look back on all the "phases" and still decide to get a permanant mark on our skin. That said, with me I have a few rules for tattoos I get.

Firstly, and oddly, nothing "religious". Reason being, If tattoos are indeed "sin" I feel it's more disgracefull to God if I attempt to glorify him with ink. (Although, as with all things, this view is changing.)

Nothing vulgar.

Even if tattoos are damaging the body, and IF that's part of the "Temple issue", I still don't see a problem. You damage your skin, which in turn heals. In the process of tattoo care vital nutrients and lotions are applied, which, in turn, makes the skin healthier than before.

Now, damaging the skin sounds silly. We don't view body builders or athletes as silly. Exercise damages the muscle fibers and in turn, makes them stronger. Either way we look at it, damage often times leads to a healthier or stronger result.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you all have a lot of good points made. here is what i believe. just as the disciples were reprimanded by the religious leaders of that time for not washing their hands and thus quoted old testament scripture that Jesus told them that it is not what goes in the mouth that defiles a man but what comes out. what we need to look at is the old testament is a type and shadow of what was to come. what needs to be done is we need to figure out what was said in OT scripture means when applied to the NT covenant. now piercing our bodies or drawing on them is not what is evil because whether we have tattoos or not will not make us win orr lose our salvation. so what we need to figure out is how are tattoos symbolized in the new covenant. now i have not done enough reseach to answer how tattoos are symbolized in the new covenant yet but i will get back to you on it. although i do know that tattoos are not evil in and off themselves.

God bless

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi 7angels,

now piercing our bodies or drawing on them is not what is evil

It sounds as if you don't think it's a problem to God that Christians are going around making themselves look like pagans?

They pierce themselves through with sharp things while they're in a trance - ie under the influence of an evil spirit, as a sign of their relationships with local evil spirits - and afterwards when the lance is pulled out, there is no damage. It is a sign of whom they worship and how they worship.

How are you going to explain to someone from that kind of culture that while God forbade piercing and tattoos for His people thousands of years ago, now that Jesus has died for all sin, we can go back to the appearance of devil worship?

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Hi 7angels,

It sounds as if you don't think it's a problem to God that Christians are going around making themselves look like pagans?

They pierce themselves through with sharp things while they're in a trance - ie under the influence of an evil spirit, as a sign of their relationships with local evil spirits - and afterwards when the lance is pulled out, there is no damage. It is a sign of whom they worship and how they worship.

How are you going to explain to someone from that kind of culture that while God forbade piercing and tattoos for His people thousands of years ago, now that Jesus has died for all sin, we can go back to the appearance of devil worship?

That is quite an unfair scenario DF. The issue is whether Christians should or shouldn't get a tattoo. Not what pagans did back in the OT/OC. As I've stated in previous posts, it is a PERSONAL decision between the person and Jesus. Using OT written Laws, which were meant to keep the people from falling away into paganism, which in fact many of the tribes of Israel did with alarming consistency, is NOT applicable to modern NT/NC Christians. Many people with tattoos are born again Bible believing Christians. Those who had them before they were saved worshipped the devil? Many tattoos I see today on Christian and non-Christian people are beautiful art. Some are offensive to me, as my son-in-laws were, but after he got saved, he cleaned them up. He knew the message was wrong so he paid quite a bit of money to have them enhanced to reflect his Christianity. Three of my four children have tattoos. They all have glorifying content. My eldest son decided he would not get a tattoo as he felt it wasn't what God wanted for him. That is great in either scenario.
Using OT/OC non-applicable scripture to enforce a person's personal dislike or disdain for this particular issue is very much like what the cults do to keep people in line. Getting a tattoo does NOT make ANY Christian look like a devil worshipper or negatively impact the Gospel of Jesus. After all, didn't Jesus continually fellowship with all kinds of sinners and un-clean people according to the so called Laws of the day?
We should be pointing people to Jesus when it comes to their walk, and NOT the OT/OC. He came to fullfill that and end it.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Stan,

Thanks for sharing about your experiences with this issue. I certainly would not be concerned about a person with tattoos coming to Christ.

That is quite an unfair scenario DF. The issue is whether Christians should or shouldn't get a tattoo. Not what pagans did back in the OT/OC.

Although I mentioned the OC prohibition, nothing has changed in the pagan world today, and the couple of things I mentioned still go on - not just in east and middle-eastern countries - but in the west. It's not a problem you and others might disagree with how I see it. I'm speaking partly from experience of knowing what non-Christians expect of Christians - especially of what they expect of evangelists.

And partly I believe there should be a difference - a separateness - about Christians which unbelievers notice. I realise it lays us open to ridicule from some, and yet some would respect us more for how we represent the Lord to others. This is just my 2c. Thanks for yours. :)

Getting a tattoo does NOT make ANY Christian look like a devil worshipper or negatively impact the Gospel of Jesus.

That very much depends on whether the person comes from a culture of being cut or written upon as a baby, a child or an adolescent. They will think they know what the marks mean - because to them, they do mean something. They are not just a 'body decoration'.

After all, didn't Jesus continually fellowship with all kinds of sinners and un-clean people according to the so called Laws of the day?

Yes. And I'm not suggesting Christians are under the law. Moreso, we are free to be different. We have been freed to be different and to be in friendship with God, whose culture is very different from the world's.

I also realise that some people have tattoos which cannot be seen publicly (or they wouldn't be able to get a job), and that helps to keep it a private matter. But equally, I wouldn't get a tattoo that no-one was going to see. That would defeat the purpose of being decorated! :huh:

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Although I mentioned the OC prohibition, nothing has changed in the pagan world today, and the couple of things I mentioned still go on - not just in east and middle-eastern countries - but in the west. It's not a problem you and others might disagree with how I see it. I'm speaking partly from experience of knowing what non-Christians expect of Christians - especially of what they expect of evangelists.
And partly I believe there should be a difference - a separateness - about Christians which unbelievers notice. I realise it lays us open to ridicule from some, and yet some would respect us more for how we represent the Lord to others. This is just my 2c. Thanks for yours. :)

I understand your point, I just don't believe we are to look on the outward or worry about what unbelievers see. Our goal should be to show them the difference inwardly. They see enough hypocrisy outwardly in the world. In that regard, the church should be different and not be concerned about how we look or appear. In my day a guy who came in off the street with jeans and a T was looked down upon. God has much to say about NOT looking at the outward appearance.

That very much depends on whether the person comes from a culture of being cut or written upon as a baby, a child or an adolescent. They will think they know what the marks mean - because to them, they do mean something. They are not just a 'body decoration'.

Again, this is an extreme and doesn''t pertain to Christians. We quite rightly don't do that to our children. What unbelievers do prior to being saved is OUT of God's control. What they do after salvation, is between them and God and hopefully the church can help them grow and NOT show prejudice to their past actions.

I also realise that some people have tattoos which cannot be seen publicly (or they wouldn't be able to get a job), and that helps to keep it a private matter. But equally, I wouldn't get a tattoo that no-one was going to see. That would defeat the purpose of being decorated! :huh:

Yes I agree and unfortunately some businesses are like that. They pay your salary so there are some rules you have to conform to. Just like wearing a shirt and tie when I worked. A lot of people get tattoos that are NOT normally visible because it is personal to them and they DON'T want the world to see it, and not get judged as they inevitably know they will. This takes a certain amount of courage to go against community or church prejudice. All the more reason why we who know better should council those who approach this issue to do so with a proper perspective, NOT under judgment or condemnation, but in the light of our personal relationship with Jesus, as in WWJD, and in order to walk circumspectly. Amen?

Ace Michaels

Jul 12, 2012
I have a tattoo of a cross with name of Jesus in it. It is proffessional and very beautiful. I agree that this tat could one day be a conversation starter, sort of an ice breaker. I always welcome oppurtunities to talk of my faith. I do not believe I have sinned by this. I do agree that if you base your behavior and judgement by levitical laws, then you yourself better follow every single one of them!

iimacbain

Nov 13, 2010
I am fascinated by this discussion as it seems to be coming up more and more in these days. In certain cultures in the world it is considered satanic - something that has already been pointed out in a previous post. However, I believe the answer is not so much in whether it is right or wrong to get tattoos or piercings, I believe the question is whether they will get in the way of reaching others for Christ. Here in the UK many people are becoming Muslims as they appreciate the structure of rules which modern Christianity seems to have abandoned. Paul states in Galatians that all things are permissable to Believers, but not all things are expedient. If we are therefore to follow the timeless pattern of humanity, scripture is full from Genesis to Revelation of man's willingness to embrace God followed by God's blessings being poured out until such time as man becomes full, complacency follows and God allows the consequences of man's falling away to bring about persecution. In Romans we are clearly grafted into the vine and as such considered part of the New Jerusalem which awaits in Heaven, how can we think that we will escape the consequences of our own falling away and decisions to turn away from Christ? Paul also talks in 1st and 2nd TImothy about the great falling away and God's people listening to false teachers who tell them what they want to hear, rather than listen to those who teach the truth. These days it seems everyone does what is right in his own eyes and many Christians have cast off restraint of the legalism that has done the church no favours. However, the question at the end of the day is not about tattoos and piercings, it's about whether there is a difference in the lives of those who have become Christians, and those who have not. When Christians fail to show the world another way and don't change their lifestyles and choices, those in the world don't see the point in joining what becomes just another social club.

Reactions: Prentis

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
These days it seems everyone does what is right in his own eyes and many Christians have cast off restraint of the legalism that has done the church no favours. However, the question at the end of the day is not about tattoos and piercings, it's about whether there is a difference in the lives of those who have become Christians, and those who have not. When Christians fail to show the world another way and don't change their lifestyles and choices, those in the world don't see the point in joining what becomes just another social club.

-- I am in complete agreement.
The thing I see the most now is that Christians are deciding they want something so they try to find a way to justify it instead of first finding out if it falls within God's will.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
On just about every question a Christian asks about whether they can do this or that as a Christian, the real question is whether the person is spiritually healthy. Do they trust God for their every need? Do they pray and commune with God constantly? Are they always seeking to glorify Him in all they say and do? If so, then a person can do what ever they want to do. That's the truth.

But since few of us are perfectly tuned to walk in such perfection, there are questions that can help us. Will it be profitable to me spiritually? Will it build me up? Will it slow me down in the race? Will it bring me to bondage? Will it be simply a covering for my sin? Will it replace the Lordship of Christ in my life? Will it set a helpful example for others? Will it lead others to Christ, or cause them to stumble? Will it be like Christ? And will it...glorify God? If these principles guide our decisions then we will not make errors in our choices, I don't think, what ever we choose.

Reactions: Angelina

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I am fascinated by this discussion as it seems to be coming up more and more in these days. In certain cultures in the world it is considered satanic - something that has already been pointed out in a previous post. However, I believe the answer is not so much in whether it is right or wrong to get tattoos or piercings, I believe the question is whether they will get in the way of reaching others for Christ. Here in the UK many people are becoming Muslims as they appreciate the structure of rules which modern Christianity seems to have abandoned. Paul states in Galatians that all things are permissable to Believers, but not all things are expedient. If we are therefore to follow the timeless pattern of humanity, scripture is full from Genesis to Revelation of man's willingness to embrace God followed by God's blessings being poured out until such time as man becomes full, complacency follows and God allows the consequences of man's falling away to bring about persecution. In Romans we are clearly grafted into the vine and as such considered part of the New Jerusalem which awaits in Heaven, how can we think that we will escape the consequences of our own falling away and decisions to turn away from Christ? Paul also talks in 1st and 2nd TImothy about the great falling away and God's people listening to false teachers who tell them what they want to hear, rather than listen to those who teach the truth. These days it seems everyone does what is right in his own eyes and many Christians have cast off restraint of the legalism that has done the church no favours. However, the question at the end of the day is not about tattoos and piercings, it's about whether there is a difference in the lives of those who have become Christians, and those who have not. When Christians fail to show the world another way and don't change their lifestyles and choices, those in the world don't see the point in joining what becomes just another social club.

Yes I think you're on the right track, however we don't make a difference by our outward appearance, but by our inward appearance. God wants a change on our inside, NOT on our outside. The NT is based on circumcision of the heart/soul/mind, NOT the circumcision of our flesh. The Bible says in John 13:34-35; [sup]34 [/sup]“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [sup]35 [/sup]By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hard to believe this topic is 2 pages long. "Can a Christian wear flip-flops to church??" Blows my mind that we can spend hours discussing external issues, while ignoring what really matters in the Christian life. Is it because it is safe?