Is it "Biblical" to "fall" in love?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
We have all heard someone say, or perhaps said it ourself that, "I fell in love."Is it a Biblical concept to "fall in love?" What is it meant to "fall in love" and is there a better way we should approach love, rather than a collapse of sorts? Is it a good approach to understand and teach that we just "fall" in love, and it just sorta happens? Or, is there a better approach to love that we should teach, rather than an unpredictable tumble or slip of foot?For example, we love Him because He first loved us. God loved us, that is His choice, and it is our choice to love Him back. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Jesus didn't fall onto the cross, He went their deliberately, with a purpose, regardless of what justice would deem most people's feelings to be towards those who cruicified Him.It was His perfect walk, not stumbling, that showed us perfect love.

DreadStorm

Aug 16, 2008
I don't think I've ever fell in love, but I have stepped in it a few times.
smile.gif
I don't recall ever reading about any particular method of "falling in" love, or any other convenient form of discovering the emotion. But I do know that when it happens, it's undeniable. And the results that arise from being in love - or for that matter, loving in general - have been pointed out countless times from Genesis to the Letters. The things spoken on love - for example, in the letters to the Corinthians - explain what love should be like, and if it isn't like that, it's probably something a bit more superficial and temporary than real love. Lust, perhaps, or even a momentary infatuation.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
treeoflifeIt is a figure of speech, every culture has them. It is one of the difficulties encountered by translators. Hebrew and Greek both have figures of speech and it is important for a student of the Word to understand then if they are going to properly understand Scripture.The Companion Bible, edited by E. W. Bullinger has a list of them in Appendix 6. You can read them at:http://www.goodnewsministry.com/appendix.htm

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
It is just a figure of speech. Also I have never attributed or heard it attributed to falling in love with God. I always thought that someone falls in love with another person. In saying that, they don't literally fall their just in love (I wish I could explain it better but I would be talking from ignorance not experience).

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I am not going to deny what I'm about to say. Yes I am in love with Christ.

elmo

Sep 19, 2007
The bible addresses marriage merely as this:A woman shall leave her family and cleave to one man (her husband) and they twain shall become one.falling in love is a phrase that may or may not be biblical correct depending on how it is interpreted as compared to the explanation of marraige I just gave from the bible

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
I think that is fair elmo
smile.gif
Depending on your interpretation of "falling in love". And, we know there are different definitions of "love". Four, to be exact, used in the new testiment.The kind of love I want to have for God is not a feeling, but an act, a promise, and a commitment of faithfulness. Love is a choice, and a sacrifice. Of course, this makes me feel good, so it comes around
smile.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.Yeah, I guess the bible characters knew something about love, or as we say, "falling in love".