Is our Bible of 66 Books, the inerrant Word of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
tom55 said:
"Luther loved the bible"....except Jude, James, Hebrews and Revelations which he wanted removed...other than that he loved the bible. He loved it so much he made changes to it by adding words so it would be much easier (to fit HIS belief) to read.
True enough.

I already stated that if fundamentalist evangelicals got hold of a Luther Bible including his introductions to the texts they’d recoil in horror. His main focus was the Epistle to the Romans, in which Christ had encountered him. In comparison he did deem some other texts of little apostolic value. And when I see what some of our fellow-Christians down there in the Eschatology Forum make of the Book of Revelations, I must say I’m beginning to share Luther’s reservations against it. But even though Luther was certainly not an overly tolerant character, he did indeed keep all these other texts in his canon, he just placed them at the end.
And yes, Luther – naughty, naughty - did indeed add “alone” when translating Romans 3:28, because he was convinced that this is what the text meant. But still it was Luther who popularized the very idea of translating the Bible into people’s mother-tongues and who took the pain to go back to the original languages for his translation.

These days even the Pope acknowledges that the Reformation gave “greater centrality to sacred Scripture in the Church’s life” and that “Martin Luther’s concept of justification by “grace alone” reminded us that God always takes the initiative”.
(https://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-at-catholic-lutheran-commemoration-a-new-opportunity-to-accept-a-commo)

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
kerwin said:
According to Dr. John Barnett he used it about 90% and the Hebrew about 10%. The quote from it I remember is Matthew 1:23 as the LXX is the version that uses "virgin" while Hebrew uses a more vague "maiden" but that was quoted by Matthew.

At least some Jews of that time viewed the Septuagint and the Hebrew scrolls as having equal authority. Jesus revealed he agreed with them by using both versions. The Spirit is the one that reveals for the Spiritual human sees the things of God and the soulish human sees the things of humanity.
Kerwin, for all we know Jesus did not speak Greek, but Aramaic. It was the authors of the Gospels who used the Septuagint, not Jesus.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Stranger said:
Well, some can say anything. I am asking where is the proof that Jesus quoted from the Septuagint? Where is the proof that there even was a 'Septuagint'?

Your last statement sounds very 'spiritual', but what does it have to do with the written Word?

Stranger
The Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, that was in wide use among Hellenist Jews when the NT was written: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am answering it by example. Yes, I know where Tom55 is headed and you also.

So the statement has been made that since Scripture is interpreted so many ways, then how do you know who is right. Well, here, in my reply#97, is a portion of Scripture to put to the test. Interpret it honestly. Meaning as I said, what you believe it is saying. The one who is right is the one who is true to the Scripture.

If you don't know Scripture and don't trust the Bible you have, then I can understand your hesitancy at interpreting. Are you scared?

Stranger
You pick one line out of the bible and say how do you, what about the rest of the bible, where do you think all these denominations came fro, smart men reading teh bible and using "mens" wisdom to interpret it. As for the bible, my faith is in God, if He says this bit is right than iI believe Him, there is a reason that God sends us teh Holy Spirit, and its not to teach us the bible. Teh bible cant save you, only point you to Christ, when do you start listening to and believing Him???

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Stranger said:
Well, some can say anything. I am asking where is the proof that Jesus quoted from the Septuagint? Where is the proof that there even was a 'Septuagint'?

Your last statement sounds very 'spiritual', but what does it have to do with the written Word?

Stranger
As far as I can tell there is not expert that questions the existence of the Septuagint. So the burden there is no Septuagint is placed on you.

The Dead Sea Scrolls have both Koine Greek and Hebrew versions though they do not align perfectly with what is currently called the Septuagint and Hebrew Masoretic. Evidence reveals a number of versions existed. Even after the printing press that was the case until the last few centuries when standards were set. Of course in the first century they were separate scrolls.

The written words is just words written on paper and words are open to interpretation by their nature and usefulness. The only way one can understand Scripture correctly is to see it from God's point of view. That takes the Spirit of God. Without that mindset one that gives one eyes to see and ears to hear one is doomed to be misled.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
junobet said:
Kerwin, for all we know Jesus did not speak Greek, but Aramaic. It was the authors of the Gospels who used the Septuagint, not Jesus.
I am fairly sure he was multi-lingual as he is recorded as speaking at least two languages when he said "abba father". abba is Aramaic and the word translated father is Koine Greek. I believe he did is again when he named Simon Cephas. Cephas is Aramaic and the word translated rock is Koine Greek. I could have the later reversed and Petra is Koine Greek.

There is doubt if he could write since the only place he is recorded as writing is itself not present in earlier manuscripts.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
Are these for or against the Septuagint? I appreciate the links but I would rather hear words from a person.
Stranger
You asked two questions in the post I quoted so I suggest you read the links and get your questions answered. In my experience there's not a whole lot of original thought now-a-days and just about everything that can and has been said about the Bible can and has been answered.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
junobet said:
That is a mistaken assumption and about the only time that Jesus used Aramaic in the New Testament, it tells us. You should read the links I posted.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
junobet said:
The Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, that was in wide use among Hellenist Jews when the NT was written: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint
If the Septuagint was in such wide circulation, why don't we have a copy of it?

The 'idea' of a Septuagint is based only on the 'Letter of Aristas', which has been shown to be a fake.

Even the LXX is a false representation. If it's based on 72 Jews, why isn't it LXXII? Everything about it is error or fraudulent.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
You pick one line out of the bible and say how do you, what about the rest of the bible, where do you think all these denominations came fro, smart men reading teh bible and using "mens" wisdom to interpret it. As for the bible, my faith is in God, if He says this bit is right than iI believe Him, there is a reason that God sends us teh Holy Spirit, and its not to teach us the bible. Teh bible cant save you, only point you to Christ, when do you start listening to and believing Him???
No, I picked six verses, not one line. Tom55 gave me a 'one line' made up statement that he could use as an example of how many interpretations could be made of it.

You say "what about the rest of the Bible"? Exactly. To compare a one line statement with the interpretation of Scripture is foolish. But I at least gave enough verses for others to interpret.

My faith is in God and Christ also. How do you know God sent the Holy Spirit? Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kerwin said:
As far as I can tell there is not expert that questions the existence of the Septuagint. So the burden there is no Septuagint is placed on you.

The Dead Sea Scrolls have both Koine Greek and Hebrew versions though they do not align perfectly with what is currently called the Septuagint and Hebrew Masoretic. Evidence reveals a number of versions existed. Even after the printing press that was the case until the last few centuries when standards were set. Of course in the first century they were separate scrolls.

The written words is just words written on paper and words are open to interpretation by their nature and usefulness. The only way one can understand Scripture correctly is to see it from God's point of view. That takes the Spirit of God. Without that mindset one that gives one eyes to see and ears to hear one is doomed to be misled.
Well, if there is 'no Septuagint', it's hard for me to prove it's non-existence. It is based on a document, 'Letter of Aristas', that has been proven to be false.

The Dead Sea Scrolls has lots of writings. Not all are Scripture. And, as far as I know, I don't believe any Greek versions are found there. But there is none identified as 'Septuagint'.

Christ seemed to think written words were important when He said, 'It is written'. I don't discount the Spirit of God in giving understanding and nurturing the believer as he reads the Scriptures. Just like I don't discount the Spirit of God in giving the Scriptures. The Bible is the Word of God and the final authority for the believer.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
You asked two questions in the post I quoted so I suggest you read the links and get your questions answered. In my experience there's not a whole lot of original thought now-a-days and just about everything that can and has been said about the Bible can and has been answered.
I don't always ask a question just to learn. Sometimes it is to provoke ones thinking or encourage discussion.

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God?
Which part ?? even the disciples stated " This is I speaking not the Lord", his opinion is not God. No I know not all teh bible is inspired by God, if it was there would be only one, it would be true. every one that read it would be walking in the truth, there would be no need for bible college and smart scholars and certainly no need for christian forums, for there would be nothing to discuss for we would all have the same understanding, which is not the case. is it?? And by teh way, teh bible does not say it is inspired by God anywhere.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Which part ?? even the disciples stated " This is I speaking not the Lord", his opinion is not God. No I know not all teh bible is inspired by God, if it was there would be only one, it would be true. every one that read it would be walking in the truth, there would be no need for bible college and smart scholars and certainly no need for christian forums, for there would be nothing to discuss for we would all have the same understanding, which is not the case. is it?? And by teh way, teh bible does not say it is inspired by God anywhere.
You didn't answer the questions. Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God? And, how do you know God sent the Holy Spirit?

Stranger

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
I don't always ask a question just to learn. Sometimes it is to provoke ones thinking or encourage discussion.
Stranger
I understand that, but as I'm not a mind reader, I just decided to answer your questions at fa d value, rather than try to figure out why you were asking them. If you don't accept what the links have to say, I'll be more than happy to discuss them with you.
Oh, BTW, you posted this response twice so you may want to delete the second one.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I understand that, but as I'm not a mind reader, I just decided to answer your questions at fa d value, rather than try to figure out why you were asking them. If you don't accept what the links have to say, I'll be more than happy to discuss them with you.
Oh, BTW, you posted this response twice so you may want to delete the second one.
Appreciate it.

I know...I pushed the wrong button. I tried to delete but couldn't.

Stranger

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stranger said:
Appreciate it.

I know...I pushed the wrong button. I tried to delete but couldn't.

Stranger
The only way to fix this is to edit the post, delete all the text, then write the word 'duplicate' and save it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
The only way to fix this is to edit the post, delete all the text, then write the word 'duplicate' and save it.
I appreciate that friend. I will remember that next time.

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didn't answer the questions. Do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God? And, how do you know God sent the Holy Spirit?
I did, read my post. as for the Holy Spirit received Him nearly 10 years before I ever read teh bible, He is given to those who believe. Why do you bind God up so much and limit Him, why dont people do as Jesus said,

"Go to Him so they can have life" They wont and He knows it. Who needs Jesus and the Holy spirit to teach them when the flesh is so adamant about boasting to God how smart it is. Even the bible declares that "Jesus is the Word of God". so why dont you go to teh one who is the truth or dont you believe Him....