Is Persecution of Christians Increasing ...?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
I never thought I'd live to see the day when I felt like such an outsider and so threatened for my beliefs.

I work with people who have done, just the past few months, many awful things to Christian co-workers, including me. Unfortunately, the main boss says that "all religions are used just to control people". and he says it's just stupid to believe in God or any religions. He says Jesus is just a myth. I know, I know --- but he has a ton of letters after his name and thinks he knows everything. He makes anyone look very foolish if they try to disgree with him. :unsure:

A group of these people put some obscene pictures in my desk drawer recently and they were all snickering about it in the office. I even went to Human Resources about it, but they said, "Well, it's unfortunate, but without proof, there's not much we can do." And it turns out the Human resources folks are friends with the athiests.

It doesn't stop there. These people - though careful not to openly call the Christians out - say awful, horrible things about believers continually. I haven't gotten into an argument with them yet and I don't want to. I have to have the money right now to pay my bills, and I'm constantly looking for a better job. A friend of mine told me the standards at her job have dropped, too. Mega persecution of Christian values and professed Christians. Even if Christians don't preach or talk about their relationship with Jesus or anything else, once these people find out they are Christians, the insults, hateful jokes and everything else begins. This man has even threatened to fire people who try to "convert" co workers. So obviously he has gotten a lot of complaints from other athiests there.

I have prayed about my friend's and my situations and prayed about the 3-4 people doing the persecuting as the Bible tells us to do, but still- I feel so discouraged. Sometimes the hostility in there is so thick you could get it with a knife, seriously.

Has anyone else experienced this lately? It really caught me off guard. I would never have dreamed that this could happen to the extent it has. The athiests exert such a powerful influence over everyone else, and even the good people there (I don't know what they believe, but they're nice) seem afraid to speak up, but like many of us, needs their jobs.

If anyone else has gone through this, please tell me how you coped with it. (I have to stay there awhile, can't just quit my job.) Thanks in advance so much.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this out. Hope all of you are fine. I'll try to be back later and read around on the board and catch up with everybody. Sorry I haven't been around much, been busy and then some.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I have seen and experienced such people but the Lord has taken my defense and it usually ends up in long conversations where facts and findings from the secular view end up being baseless. So people respond negatively when you use use their own foundational sources to prove they to operate on faith, meaning you have to educate yourself on scientific information that presumably supports the absences of God. I would love to converse with your co-workers and boss.

But If you choose to. I don't know how large or the number or employees are involved but there is also free christian legal consultation and representation available from the ACLJ American Center for Law and Justice, give them a call. Discrimination based on religion is illegal.
http://aclj.org/get-legal-help/get-our-legal-help

Unfortunately many Christians are unable to openly defend their faith outside of the religious organization they attend on sundays.
And most secuar groups don't respond to biblical verses without propper context being founded. Like the book of Job for instance. Job recorded Gods words perfectly describing the attributes of the Pleiades, Orion's belt and Arcturus, several thousand years before science could confirm these truths.

Astounding Astronomical Facts Revealed to Job

The patriarch Job was extremely wealthy—enjoying a wonderful family. Then
tragedy struck. He lost his wealth. His children were killed and his wife
deserted him. Then Job lay in excruciating pain, covered with sores from head
to toe. He cried out to God for reassurance, and God replied with a reminder of
His almighty wisdom, justice, love, and power. God conveyed to Job His dynamic
logic in three questions: “Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or
loose the bands of Orion? …Or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?” Job
38:31-32

The Pleiades: “Canst thou bind the sweet influence of the Pleiades?” Modern
science has revealed that the seven stars of the Pleiades are in reality a
grouping of 250 blazing suns all traveling together in one common direction.
Concerning this cluster, Isabel Lewis of the United States Naval Observatory
tells us: “Astronomers have identified 250 stars as actual members of this
group, all sharing in a common motion and drifting through space in the same
direction... journeying onward together through the immensity of space.”

From Lick Observatory came this statement of Dr. Robert J. Trumpler: “Over
25,000 individual measures of the Pleiades stars are now available, and their
study led to the important discovery that the whole cluster is moving in a
southeasterly direction. The Pleiades stars may thus be compared to a swarm of
birds, flying together to a distant goal. This leaves no doubt that the
Pleiades are not a temporary or accidental agglomeration of stars, but a system
in which the stars are bound together by a close kinship.” Without any
reference whatsoever to the Book of Job, Dr. Trumpler announced to the world
exactly what God said: “Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades?” In
other words, Job, can you keep them bound together so that they remain as a
family of suns?

Orion: “Canst thou . . . loose the bands of Orion?” The noted
astronomer Garrett P. Serviss wrote about the bands of Orion in his book
CURIOSITIES OF THE SKY. “At the present time this band consists of an almost
perfect straight line, a row of second-magnitude stars about equally spaced and
of the most striking beauty. In the course of time, however, the two right-hand
stars, Mintaka and Alnilam, will approach each other and form a naked-eye
double; but the third, Alnitak, will drift away eastward so that the band will
no longer exist.” In other words, every star in Orion is traveling its own
course, independent of all the others. Thus, these stars that we see forming
one of the bands of Orion are like three ships out on the high seas that happen
to be in line at the present moment, but are bound for different ports, and all
are journeying to different corners of the universe, so that the bands are
being dissolved.

Arcturus: “Canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?”
Garrett P. Serviss wrote:

“Arcturus, one of the greatest suns in the universe, is a runaway whose
speed of flight is 257 miles per second. Arcturus, we have every reason to
believe, possesses thousands of times the mass of our sun. Think of it! Our sun
is traveling only 12 miles a second, but Arcturus is traveling 257 miles a
second.”

Charles Burckhalter, of the Chabot Observatory, added an interesting note
regarding this great sun: “This high velocity places Arcturus in that very
small class of stars that apparently are a law unto themselves... Newton gives the velocity
of a star under control as not more than 25 miles a second, and Arcturus is
going 257 miles a second. Therefore, combined attraction of all the stars we
know cannot stop him or even turn him in his path.” When Mr. Burckhalter had
his attention called to this text in the book of Job, he studied it in the
light of modern discovery and made a statement that has attracted worldwide
attention: “The study of the Book of Job and its comparison with the latest scientific
discoveries has brought me to the matured conviction that the Bible is an
inspired book and was written by the One who made the stars.”

The wonders of God’s universe are amazing! Arcturus and his sons are
individual, runaway suns traveling at such incredible speeds, why don’t they
crash with other suns or planets? Indeed they will not crash. Why? Because God
is guiding them.

Learn to reason together with those that doubt.
Because where you are is where God has called us to the salt of the earth

Reactions: KingJ

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes persecution is increasing. Western society in general is becoming more secularized as time is progressing, and through this secularization people are becoming more hostile towards Christians.

Romans 8:6-8
For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

But what are we to do?
Rejoice! Odd response right but it is biblical.

Acts 5:41
So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name.

1Peter 4:12-19
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. Make sure that none of you suffers as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler; but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name. For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner? Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

And what is the reward for suffering?

Romans 8:16-17

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed
we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

How long will the suffering persist?

1Peter 5:5-10
You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Remember these words are the same words given to those who were being persecuted physically as well as mentally, some even to the point of death. Some had all of their possessions striped from them, others lost their entire families for the name of Christ. During times of suffering understand that God is the one that allows this suffering, He is always in control.

Romans 8:28
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Thank God for the situation you are currently in because He is establishing you for His purpose.

Matthew 7:11-12
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those
who ask Him! “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Now I am uncertain if you need or want to confront these people directly, but a passive aggressive approach may be better, unless this goes against what the Spirit is telling you. Patience is key, humility is proper, kindness kills aggression. Evidentially you are to be a beacon of God's light in that dark work environment. This does not mean you need to go out of your way to be a whipping post, or a doormat for ridicule. Sometimes a legal solution is the best solution, but sometimes endurance in your current situation produces the fruit God is seeking in your life.

Prayer is always a conduit to help as taught by the apostle Peter, "casting all your anxiety on Him." As you have already done pray for your enemies, and be persistent in your prayer.(Luke 18:1-17) I don't know if you want to pray for fire from heaven or for their brakes to go out during their ride in to work :lol: but the Spirit will intercede in your
prayers for you.

I will leave you with the words spoken through the prophet Micah and then a brief prayer.

Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your
God?

Father of all creation, Lord of Hosts, Yahweh Elohim, You know the trials and tribulations of all of Your children for you are the One who placed them there.
Abba please allow me to remind You of this current situation we are discussing here and of all those who are involved. I pray for a great work that glorifies you and brings relief to your children in the all powerful name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Reactions: I am Second

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Attacks are increasing, but I wouldn't call it persecution just yet.

There is an excellent book by Janet Folger called "The Criminalization of Christianity" which details it quite well.

Christians shouldn't fret persecution for themselves. We already know it is coming.

Christians should resist these current attacks at every single opportunity.

Not for themselves, but to for the lost. To ensure they can continue to preach the Gospel loud and strong for as long as possible.

The true victims of the attacks on Christianity aren't the Christians.....it is the unsaved. These attacks make it harder to reach those that need to be saved.

That is why we have to oppose attacks on preaching the Gospel at every opportunity.

So we can help reach as many people for Christ before the TRUE persecution begins.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Lets just say the testing of the metal of a christian is measured in the world, by the effect you bring to others threw the power of the Spirit to the unsaved.
Not sitting together with others that share the same faith in a group.

Get out from under the basket and go into the world. Don't waste your gifts on the saved but jump at the opportunity to steer conversation toward the truth in the world. Get out of the your protected comfort zone and step out in faith.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S.
You may want to brush up on your Christian apologetics if you haven't already, to enable you to be ready in and out of season. 2Timothy 4:2

An excellent book I can suggest is "Holman Quick Source Guide to Christian Apologetics" by Doug Powell

You never know how God is going to use you for this, if not for those in direct opposition, maybe for other fellow co-workers. I pray this will be of good service to you, and God bless you in your endeavors.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I know these words seem easy to say, but I could not help and think of Matthew 5:11:

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
I don't think this verse is saying be happy about people being evil to you, but it is about continuing in the recognition that you possess the ultimate high ground in the matter, even if it might not feel that way. You are a daughter of God, standing forgiven, sanctified, and in ready acceptance of what you are promised. Never forget that. Continue to endure in your form of persecution and rely on prayer and other Christians to listen to you and help you. We'll do our best here, but you truly need the sympathy of a local body of believers. I cannot underscore that enough. You need to be able to confide, vent, and let them help you.

Now, my first response is to state that outside of prayer as an immediate response, you need to seriously look at plan B. It sounds like a very hostile work environment, and that produces nothing but stress, anxiety, and fear. It will not edify you, even if the matter were not related to your faith. It will not advance your career from a professional standpoint. Do you think that these people will give you a fair shake when a future employee calls to check on your background? My honest message is to leave that place behind as soon as you are able. Obviously, the timing of that is on you and your specific situation, but if they're willing to stoop to these levels, then they'll use anything to hurt you. I would say that this is a harsh case.

Now, the line will be to stand your ground - and you certainly should to an extent - but there is a time to argue and a time to retrench and fight another day. You probably do need to look into Apologetics, but honestly I'd not waste too much time trying to craft arguments. Continue to work hard, do your job, and be humble while you are there; don't let them intimidate you into hiding your faith or losing it. Try to avoid tit-for-tat things and let as much as you are able roll off. Don't challenge, don't apologize, and don't sermonize. Pick your battles, turn and fight on hills that you can hold. Document everything; it may take even using recording software on a phone or a tape recorder. Worst case scenario is a wrongful termination lawsuit when the time comes - and that is something you may need to drop a hint about. It may not even hurt to seek legal counsel if it continues to be that bad.

Worse comes to worst, you send me a PM and vent. Just don't let them cower you into a corner. If they win on this, they'll do the very same the next time around.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
HammerStone said:
Now, my first response is to state that outside of prayer as an immediate response, you need to seriously look at plan B. It sounds like a very hostile work environment, and that produces nothing but stress, anxiety, and fear. It will not edify you, even if the matter were not related to your faith. It will not advance your career from a professional standpoint. Do you think that these people will give you a fair shake when a future employee calls to check on your background? My honest message is to leave that place behind as soon as you are able. Obviously, the timing of that is on you and your specific situation, but if they're willing to stoop to these levels, then they'll use anything to hurt you. I would say that this is a harsh case.
Being near the front line isn't easy nor do I pack it in and run, but it sounds as though they make the opportunity to question or open a dialog. I would take full advantage of that. But like I said most don't know how to deal with the world, they simple sit as ineffective Christians, oooh dear me what to do. If you don't take your faith to work with you what good are you? You have lost your salt.

To me this is the very problem the church today refuses to address instead its believed we should retreat to the security of the world in a form that's more friendly to our faith. Find a job that's user "believer friendly" just where do I find that in the NT HammerStone? But If you can't take the heat then --> run, what a lame witness that makes. Many think that witnessing is something that is organized and were all going down town and pass out tracks, If your not a witness 24-7 your truly not walking with Jesus.

This is my opinion and I do live it, you could ask anyone that knows me about my faith I'm curtain they would all say I'm a christian but I'm not some kook that is overly intrusive, but rarely misses an opportunity to share the knowledge of the faith with-in me. If people practiced there faith they might just be supprized at how natural and easy it really is to be in the world but not a part of it. Instead of insulating yourself from it as suggested. Jesus go into the world not run from it. Get some free legal advice as I posted above, protect yourself, but never retreat. Do you have put your hand to the plow and turned back at the first hint of opposition? well apparently that's what Christians do today. Run and hide I'll be glad to take the point If your not up to it. Go on back to the security of not standing up for what you believe in, someone else like myself will be glad to take your place.

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
Urrrrgh. Just a quick thank you note to you all !!! Rushing to go out with my family now but I HAVE to thank all you guys for all your help !!!

Thank you, Rex, Justaname, Foreigner and HammerStone so very, very much for all you said. You have no idea how much your words and advice meant to me. I really appreciate each and every one of you and the time you took to help me on this and to respond.

I will read these words often, as I have on other posts where so much help and wisdom is the hallmark of this great site. I just re-read my post here and am embarrassed at all the typos. Uggh, please excuse those, guess I was just dreading work tomorrow but your posts have given me the courage I need plus knowing the Lord is with me, to face another day there.

You all brought out many wonderful points that I needed to call to mind. Wow, thank you so much. Just knowing you all replied is like a weight off my shoulders. I'm going to come back and re-read and reeeeally get into what each of you said !!!!

Yes, HammerStone, you are so right in everything you say about this. I hadn't even thought but with all they're doing to Christians there, I'm sure they'd give us a bad reference and just laugh about it to themselves if they had the chance. It's unreal, it's like I'm suddenly living on another planet. I've never had this kind of problem before. I have to wonder how they came to hate the Lord and blaspheme like they do. I won't even repeat some of the awful things they've said about Jesus. I left so angry one day, and just broke down in tears after I got to the car, none of them knew. Thank you so very much for your help and support.

So much wisdom from you guys, I can't thank you enough. I hope all of you are well here. Sorry I missed Angelina's birthday, I hope it was very happy for her. And hope Aspen is ok and doing well also.

I'll read more later. This is going to be a tough week. I'm sure grateful to the Lord for all of you. The Lord bless you and keep you always and always.

My family is after me now to come on and go with them now so I must get off here. THANK YOU ALL !!!!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Marta!
Glad to see you back :) I agree with most of the points made here but must stress that situations like these tend to be God ordained. He is in this picture.and will not leave you without a plan. We are either going to be silent about being harrassed by others because we want to keep our jobs or we are going to leave because of the pressure.

Please remember that job security is not what we should be concerned about because it is God who had opened the opportunity for you to be working there in the first place and if he chooses to, he will open another. At this point in time, you are in this job and need to make the right choices here as a believer. I agree with HS in holding your ground, to work hard, do your job and be humble. Allow God to do the rest because the battle here belongs to the Lord. Your actions or inaction, will determine how the outcome will turn out.

1 Peter 2:11-16
11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17 Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

Be Blessed!!!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex, I began a Christian forum and have been relatively public about who I am and what I believe. I am almost sure that I've taken far more flak via back channel nefarious means than you'll see in person. Don't forget, it's a lot easier to say and insinuate nasty things when a cloak of anonymity exists . At best, I've seen ambiguous statements, at worst I've seen downright threats. I've had my wife impugned, friends bothered, and I've been frequently harassed with people who know how to use Google and find addresses and other information. I have not, like the OP, been in the shoes of my boss/co-workers/etc. creating a hostile environment, but I have experienced employers who were not just ambivalent to my Christian background. One potential employer where the job was a great fit asked me outright about "preaching" at work, as I list CB on my resume. I think my faith had a bit to do with the offer never coming through based on how questions were asked (but I do not know for certain), and honestly, I don't know that I'd take a job where hostility lurks like that.

The problem I have with the alpha-male Christian version of always fighting it out like there is a Rambo movie is that chapters like Matthew 5 don't say that. I'm not advocating that the OP run away screaming and crying, but there is a point where you do the Christian thing, suffer, but don't attempt to make yourself a martyr where God has not called you to do so. Don't walk into a trap that you know is set thinking that God wants you there when he really doesn't. I would analogize it to weather. If you know there is a tornado outside, God gave you the sense to secure yourself (and your loved ones) in a safe place. We don't run out into the tornado saying "protect me Lord Jesus!" because we all know the result of that action. It's physics that has programmed into the functioning of this world; he can defy them if he so chooses, but that's not the place to test God.

We don't seek out suffering. We don't seek to be Job. We count ourselves worthy when we are called to be Job, but we rely on the Lord and the pathway he provides to move out of a situation.

When Paul and his companions were persecuted in cities, there were times to stand with the help of the Holy Spirit, but there were times to move on to new locations. I make my post with the assumptions that the OP lives a Christian life, works like a Christian should work, has taken Matthew 5 to heart in her treatment at work, and now makes a post here showing signs of strain, concern, discernment and faith. These individuals have also gone beyond a passive aggressive, to a more aggressive form of attack. I've dealt with similar types here who post nasty images. Do I let them roam the forum and post sick and perverted images for the witnessing opportunity, or do I remove them because we have kids who visit the site?

Even the Archangel Michael only rebuked Satan in the name of the Lord.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi marta :)

it is always painful to be criticised directly or even indirectly for our ideas or beliefs. in my experience critical people are often in bondage and are suffering, themselves and need God's justification and sanctication desperately. perhaps you have a significant role to play in their lives. can you continue to love through this trial? it sure sounds difficult - i am praying for you :)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to state I based my response off this statement.

I have to have the money right now to pay my bills, and I'm constantly looking for a better job.
I also had in mind this statement.

(I have to stay there awhile, can't just quit my job.)
The endurance I spoke of was until the Lord provides the relief needed, be it a new job offer, pressure and or tension relief in your current situation, or whatever means God provides. I do not think looking for a better job situation is putting your tail between your legs and cowering from the situation. There may be a day where you need to stand up and say something, and in that day I pray the LORD fills you with His Spirit and uses you in a great fashion, but in this only God knows if and when it will happen. Until then I believe HammerStone gave some sound advice in his last paragraph and obviously Angelina and I are in agreement with God ordaining this current situation.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I agree with you guys...it is difficult to determine the situation here without walking in your shoes but you cannot go wrong in trusting in God and being led according his Spirit, within you... :)

Bless ya!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
HammerStone said:
HammerStone, on 27 Jan 2013 - 15:20, said:
Rex, I began a Christian forum and have been relatively public about who I am and what I believe. I am almost sure that I've taken far more flak via back channel nefarious means than you'll see in person. Don't forget, it's a lot easier to say and insinuate nasty things when a cloak of anonymity exists . At best, I've seen ambiguous statements, at worst I've seen downright threats. I've had my wife impugned, friends bothered, and I've been frequently harassed with people who know how to use Google and find addresses and other information. I have not, like the OP, been in the shoes of my boss/co-workers/etc. creating a hostile environment, but I have experienced employers who were not just ambivalent to my Christian background. One potential employer where the job was a great fit asked me outright about "preaching" at work, as I list CB on my resume. I think my faith had a bit to do with the offer never coming through based on how questions were asked (but I do not know for certain), and honestly, I don't know that I'd take a job where hostility lurks like that.

The problem I have with the alpha-male Christian version of always fighting it out like there is a Rambo movie is that chapters like Matthew 5 don't say that. I'm not advocating that the OP run away screaming and crying, but there is a point where you do the Christian thing, suffer, but don't attempt to make yourself a martyr where God has not called you to do so. Don't walk into a trap that you know is set thinking that God wants you there when he really doesn't. I would analogize it to weather. If you know there is a tornado outside, God gave you the sense to secure yourself (and your loved ones) in a safe place. We don't run out into the tornado saying "protect me Lord Jesus!" because we all know the result of that action. It's physics that has programmed into the functioning of this world; he can defy them if he so chooses, but that's not the place to test God.

We don't seek out suffering. We don't seek to be Job. We count ourselves worthy when we are called to be Job, but we rely on the Lord and the pathway he provides to move out of a situation.

When Paul and his companions were persecuted in cities, there were times to stand with the help of the Holy Spirit, but there were times to move on to new locations. I make my post with the assumptions that the OP lives a Christian life, works like a Christian should work, has taken Matthew 5 to heart in her treatment at work, and now makes a post here showing signs of strain, concern, discernment and faith. These individuals have also gone beyond a passive aggressive, to a more aggressive form of attack. I've dealt with similar types here who post nasty images. Do I let them roam the forum and post sick and perverted images for the witnessing opportunity, or do I remove them because we have kids who visit the site?

Even the Archangel Michael only rebuked Satan in the name of the Lord.
It looks like you see this as an unbearable and disastrous situation. As for your characterizing it to a Rambo situation.
It certainly doesn't sound that way and If human resources is unwilling to address the matter it sounds as though it's a perceived situation. I don't believe HR would turn their back on a hostile environment no matter what the circumstances. Who said anything about fighting. Is having a difference of faith always equate to a fight?

As for your personal persecution and hardships endured just what have you lost or material sacrificed made as a result of your personal persecution?
As for being a martyr for Christ it would appear you consider the notion foolishness. You live your life as you choose, which I doubt very much you have ever experience the least bit of discomfort with, by viewing the advice you've given. There is a vast difference between cyber harassment and that which is in person. My perception and understanding of scripture is those that live in Christ encounter difficulties, I believe those that live christian lives and never do experience difficulties, live with one foot in the world and another in faith, choosing to stand on the controllable factors whenever possible and resorting to faith as the last ditch effort after exhausting all human resources.

I'm not looking for a fight but what this girl has described sounds more like a personal discomfort than a persecution. It sounds like it is remarks are carefully phrased as to not be held liable. There are plenty of laws and resources available to protect against discrimination, which hinges on ones own perception of what is offensive. In other words what is offensive to someone may not be perceived as offensive to another. When arbitrators of the law get involved it will be found that language that is perceived as offensive in context of religious flavor will be band from the work place, because it will be found to be offensive to Marta. Just the same it's not like her job has been threatened or she suffers or endures a different set of work place standards than her co-workers. If she peruses this with legal action religious talk or innuendos will be bared from the work place. If she chooses to nicely and professionally defend or share her opinion it may defuse the whole situation, thus persevering the freedom of speech in the work place.

None the less I choose to walk in faith others choose to determine there fate rather than walk in faith.
It simply a matter or your walk VS what I choose to walk.

I am sure you we probably live very different lives, most of the circumstances that caused the demise of my family life were well out of my hands.
Standing alone with no family certainly differs from having loving parents that help you in providing a stable platform to learn about life from. The Lord and the Father became my family and I've walk there more years than you have probably yet lived.
What I do know is you have a choice as to how you are going to respond to a changing environment. Even a psychologist will tell you running is a last ditch effort.
I doubt very much this situation amounts to disputing over the body of Moses or the testing of Job. Its simply a fact of life in the times we find ourselves.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey now! she asked a simple enough question and it is up to her to determine, what degree of harrassment she is experiencing. It could be full on work place abuse or a few people hassling her because she is a believer. Either way, I hope that she will put her trust in God here and also use the wisdom that he has given her. Leaving a job does not make you a wimp just as staying there does not make you tough. The determinig factor is being able to understand what God is saying because only he can change this situation for good.

Blessings!!!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Well I suppose I'm just out of line?

Maybe the best solution is to make a decision based on financial security, and personal comforts.
can we find some verses to add support to that?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You are not out of line, you just have different experiences and we can all contribute to this thread because of that but to say that there is only one way to do things is not necessarily going to be beneficial in her situation. She needs to just trust in God here and get her directions from him.

Maybe the best solution is to make a decision based on financial security, and personal comforts.
can we find some verses to add support to that?
now don't be like that Rex...it's not helpful :(

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I'm not trying to be harsh or indifferent Angelina I want her to experience growth.

So long as she stands firm even in silence before the Lord He will never leave or forsake her.
He knows just what she can endure and will not allow her to fail.

It's not a painful thing in the end to have your faith tested. Quite the contrary it's builds character and perseverance.
Having been justified by faith.

Romans 5
5 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have[a] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Hebrews 11
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so
that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex, you unfortunately seem to be seizing on phrases and running with your own interpretations, which are decidedly contrary to what I am attempting to communicate here (and quite negative). I feel I'm trying to defend an approach that should not really need to be defended; you're zooming in way too much on the perceived "running" part. For example, my Rambo reference is to unnecessary gratuitous violence in the movie, and the idea that you have to shoot your way out of everything you encounter.

It certainly doesn't sound that way and If human resources is unwilling to address the matter it sounds as though it's a perceived situation.
No offense, but that's laughable. HR rarely knows everything, and generally will avoid certain issues, particularly if a certain culture is inculcated in the business/non-profit. I've seen HR ignore age discrimination and other issues, personally. I've also seen HR bullied into ignoring problems under threat of unions or other powers at be. It almost sounds like you're viewing HR offices as being infallible here.

In addition, the OP stated, rather clearly, obscene pictures were placed in her desk. That's called harassment, and in most places I would guess the nature of the pictures would be considered such. That's a little beyond cracking jokes or being rude.

As for your personal persecution and hardships endured just what have you lost or material sacrificed made as a result of your personal persecution?
See, this is where I get a little angered by your response. It becomes a very unhumble what have you experienced!? tit-for-tat which I am certainly not interested in. And honest, no I won't answer that question after you're rather condescending mark, because you're obviously ready to label whatever as far less than you have endured. I don't know, by the way, what you have or haven't endured, but I'd not judge that much off of a few of your forum posts. Every story is different, and your story is not mine, my story is not yours, and our stories are not hers.

As for other experiences, I've endured a good bit not related to this site, as have most people. I don't really compare trophies on that, because I'd much prefer to brag about the Lord.

Even a psychologist will tell you running is a last ditch effort.
Contrary to the Apostle Paul, of course. There are times to flee, there are times to stand.

I Corinthians 6:8
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

I Corinthians 10:14
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

I Timothy 6:10-11
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.

Again, I go back to the tornado example, but I am glad that the OP understood my points and that we are indeed to mount a defense, but not to get caught up in the notion of enduring suffering for suffering's sake alone.