Is the Old Testament really the word of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Hi,

I hope I'm not going to offend anyone, this is not my intent, but I mainly read the New Testament and I have no idea what to rely on in the Old Testament because I find some of its verses very puzzling -- and it is obvious us Christians do not obey them:

• Deuteronomy 22:23-24 says we should stone people committing adultery
  • Leviticus 12:3 and Genesis 17:11 say we should circumcise our boys
  • Leviticus 11:7 says we shouldn't eat pork
  • Referring to people "bought with money", Genesis 17:12-13 implies it is ok to buy slaves. Exodus clearly states it is ok to have slaves (Exodus 21:2) and even to beat them (Exodus 21:20-21). Leviticus also cleary authorizes slavery: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves" (Leviticus 25:44)
Moreover, the Old Testament instructs us not to change anything from it: "God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind" (Numbers 23:19) and "You must be careful to do everything I am commanding you. Do not add to it or subtract from it!" (Deuteronomy 12:32).

So is the Old Testament really the word of God?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope I'm not going to offend anyone, this is not my intent, but I mainly read the New Testament and I have no idea what to rely on in the Old Testament because I find some of its verses very puzzling -- and it is obvious us Christians do not obey them:

• Referring to people "bought with money", Genesis 17:12-13 implies it is ok to buy slaves. Exodus clearly states it is ok to have slaves (Exodus 21:2) and even to beat them (Exodus 21:20-21). Leviticus also cleary authorizes slavery: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves" (Leviticus 25:44)
Moreover, the Old Testament instructs us not to change anything from it: "God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind" (Numbers 23:19) and "You must be careful to do everything I am commanding you. Do not add to it or subtract from it!" (Deuteronomy 12:32).

Yes the Old Testament really is the word of God.
However we have to consider to whom particular words were addressed and whether that are applicable to us today. So, for example the Levitical Laws were given to the people of Israel as part of their Covenant with God. They are not necessarily applicable to us today.

Reactions: Taodeching

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Our understanding of what God is saying to us is by His Spirit. As @Mungo said, many things were not originally addressed to us and may not in a given moment have a message for us. Much of it may never apply to us, but don't discount any of it completely. What you do not understand or have doubts about set it aside rather than rejecting it. In time as you walk with God, He may give you something good from some of those things you set aside a while back.

Hearing from God is of course the key! Preachers or teachers or priests or evangelists or pastors may say some good things from God but too often they speak with mixed messages. The mix consists of some from God and some from elsewhere as for example their own carnal minds or the minds of some other person.

His sheep do hear His voice, but who are His sheep?

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." John 10:4-5

There are a lot of strangers talking to you as well as as the Lord. Ask God to help you sift through them so as to hear what He is saying!

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

Reactions: Mungo

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mainly read the New Testament and I have no idea what to rely on in the Old Testament because I find some of its verses very puzzling -- and it is obvious us Christians do not obey them:

May I suggest a few things.
First talk to your pastor, ask him why he does not preach or do Bible studies on the OT.
Remind him that surfing the period of the New Testament the scriptures they were using was the Old Testament.
Jesus on the road to emails explained from the OT the scriptures referring to him and his coming.
Why isn't he doing the same.

Second carry on reading the OT, but use the internet to subscribe to an online Bible commentary, unless you can afford to get Matthew Henry's complete commentary on the Bible.
Read the Bible with a commentary and encyclopedia of the Bible.

Lastly sites like answersingenesis can help you they have articles on the accuracy and authority of the whole Bible.

Real last comment, if your pastor will not start teaching from the OT change churches.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Hi,

If it's not then there's not point in the New Testament. It's the fulfilling of the Old